• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Nev

Who will you support at the Olympics?

Rate this topic

I will say that I don't get Americans (US) who aren't rooting for USA. I guess if a person immigrated to the US and your country of origin is in it, I can understand it. I'm not saying there's anything wrong with it, I just dont understand that thinking myself.

I sense that you think it's disloyal for Americans not to root for the USA. Yes, in the 80's the USA beat the "hated" Russians and all Americans cheered and that made some sense because of the cold war. Thank God the world is shrinking and priorities have changed. In fact, I would guess most of us believe they must change if this planet is to survive.

I feel no obligation whatsoever to root for a team just because they were all born here. In today's world, that would be like me rooting for only the Finns on the Wings' team. Nor do I feel obligated to root for the Canadians because talent or no, some of them have no redeeming social value in my eyes (and the same can be said for some of the American players). I'm rooting for the Russians because in the past, they brought me more joy than any other set of players; and they seem to have an ongoing work ethic like no other team. And.I.love.watching.them.play.

And any fan who quits a team because their favorite player leaves or retires is not a team fan in my book.

I sense that you think it's disloyal for Americans not to root for the USA. Yes, in the 80's the USA beat the "hated" Russians and all Americans cheered and that made some sense because of the cold war. Thank God the world is shrinking and priorities have changed. In fact, I would guess most of us believe they must change if this planet is to survive.

I feel no obligation whatsoever to root for a team just because they were all born here. In today's world, that would be like me rooting for only the Finns on the Wings' team. Nor do I feel obligated to root for the Canadians because talent or no, some of them have no redeeming social value in my eyes (and the same can be said for some of the American players). I'm rooting for the Russians because in the past, they brought me more joy than any other set of players; and they seem to have an ongoing work ethic like no other team. And.I.love.watching.them.play.

And any fan who quits a team because their favorite player leaves or retires is not a team fan in my book.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm not trying to say that if you grew up in Tennessee and root for the Russians you're some kind of communist.

Again, I wasn't saying anything was wrong with it. I don't root against any of the other teams, it has nothing to do with the "hated" Russians (though if I'd have been alive in 1980, I'd like have been rooting against them).

I remember there being a big following of 1998 US women's national team when they made their gold medal run and beat Canada. People who didn't care about hockey were excited, and hockey fans who didn't care about women's hockey got on board if for no other reason than it was Team USA and we were US citizens.

If you like Russia because of their playing style, that's great.

That's not what I'm saying at all. I'm not trying to say that if you grew up in Tennessee and root for the Russians you're some kind of communist.

Again, I wasn't saying anything was wrong with it. I don't root against any of the other teams, it has nothing to do with the "hated" Russians (though if I'd have been alive in 1980, I'd like have been rooting against them).

I remember there being a big following of 1998 US women's national team when they made their gold medal run and beat Canada. People who didn't care about hockey were excited, and hockey fans who didn't care about women's hockey got on board if for no other reason than it was Team USA and we were US citizens.

If you like Russia because of their playing style, that's great.

I think I understand where you're coming from and if I misinterpreted what you meant, I apologize. The best part of living here - and it's represented on this very thread - it doesn't matter where you're from or who your ancestors are you can root for who you want to without finger-pointing and judgment calls. It is beautiful to behold. :thumbup:

Yzerman executive director of the Canadian team will be THE hero of Canada if the team delivers the Gold for the first time ever on home turf. And im talking about bigger than anyone who ever played hockey. Also will be second guessed to death if Canada should fail.

Guest mindfly

Update from frist real team sweden practice, the only absent players swedes are Kronwall and Hornqvist... I pray that his knee isn't ******* up again :(

Edited by mindfly

Guest Lidstromboli
I think I understand where you're coming from and if I misinterpreted what you meant, I apologize. The best part of living here - and it's represented on this very thread - it doesn't matter where you're from or who your ancestors are you can root for who you want to without finger-pointing and judgment calls. It is beautiful to behold. :thumbup:

Commie! :thumbdown:

Guest mindfly

Update from Russia's frist practice.. first two lines look deadly, nice to see pavel on a scoring line too

Kovalchuk - Malkin - Afinogenov

Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin

Update from Russia's frist practice.. first two lines look deadly, nice to see pavel on a scoring line too

Kovalchuk - Malkin - Afinogenov

Ovechkin - Datsyuk - Semin

I just drooled a little bit. I can't wait to see them in action.

Although it is a little odd to see Afinogenov that high up in their depth. Still, he's got skills. This is going to be amazing to watch.

Edited by Zetts

Guest mindfly

Update

Kronwall's flight was just heavily delayed therefore he wasn't there in time, he has now landed and is on his way to the arena

Edited by mindfly

Yeah, I'd say Canada's dominant. They even have a lengthy history of success like the Wings.

Success 1920 onwards:

Canada 7G, 4S, 2B = 13 medals

US 2G, 7S, 1B = 10 medals

Finland 2S, 2B = 4 medals

Czechoslovakia/Czech Republic: 1G, 4S, 5B = 10 medals

Slovakia nothing

Soviet Union/Russia 7G, 2S, 2B = 11 medals

Sweden 2G, 2B, 2S = 6 medals

And the fact that they tanked last time? Even more like the Wings. They had how many playoff collapses in early rounds?

As far as players go, I guess it's up to you guys. Your hate for Crosby over your love for Yzerman. Personally, even if I wasn't Canadian, the whole Yzerman thing would overshadow some douchebag kid.

Edit: Besides, the US has Brian Burke. And Patrick Kane. I think Canada's players have the class not to assault a taxi driver.

I damn well better see that taxi driver in the crowd waving a Canadian flag during every US game.

First off, going back to the 1920's is a little laughable to try to justify calling team Canada a "dominant team." But even going back that far the U.S is only 3 medals behind your dominant team? Doesn't seam to dominant to me. Like I said, Canada has great talent and all, but to compare them to the Red Wings who have won 4 championships in 13 years and have been arguably the most consistent successful team in the past 20 years is just not accurate.

As for your Kane comments. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't like Kane. But to call all of Canada's players classy is a complete joke. Sorry but when you have Chris Pronger on the team, the word "class" should not only be thrown out the window, but the window should be shut and locked afterwards. Pronger is the most classless player in the NHL. And that's not just the opinion of Red Wings fans. Pronger's own PEERS voted him as such.

Like I said, If it wasn't for Crosby I wouldn't be rooting hardcore against the Canadians. I know Yzerman is a part of it. But it's not like he's playing. If Steve was on the ice, then I would be like, Sidney who? But my hate for Sid and Pronger is far too strong to root them on for gold.

First off, going back to the 1920's is a little laughable to try to justify calling team Canada a "dominant team." But even going back that far the U.S is only 3 medals behind your dominant team? Doesn't seam to dominant to me. Like I said, Canada has great talent and all, but to compare them to the Red Wings who have won 4 championships in 13 years and have been arguably the most consistent successful team in the past 20 years is just not accurate.

As for your Kane comments. Don't get me wrong, I definitely don't like Kane. But to call all of Canada's players classy is a complete joke. Sorry but when you have Chris Pronger on the team, the word "class" should not only be thrown out the window, but the window should be shut and locked afterwards. Pronger is the most classless player in the NHL. And that's not just the opinion of Red Wings fans. Pronger's own PEERS voted him as such.

Like I said, If it wasn't for Crosby I wouldn't be rooting hardcore against the Canadians. I know Yzerman is a part of it. But it's not like he's playing. If Steve was on the ice, then I would be like, Sidney who? But my hate for Sid and Pronger is far too strong to root them on for gold.

That's fair enough, I understand why you don't like Canada. Everybody (obviously) doesn't have to. I just object to the people who sound ridiculously immature with certain posts about Canada. Seeing those is embarrassing.

The Russian power play will be quite something to watch.

Kovalchuk-Gonchar-Malkin as the top of the umbrella

?-Afinogenov?

Ovechkin-Markov-Datsyuk

Semin-?

Who should be in those question marks?

Fedorov can be used as a shooter on the PP, and I'm guessing Morozov will get some PP time..

Anyone know if Nabokov is the designated starter for Russia?

The Russian power play will be quite something to watch.

Kovalchuk-Gonchar-Malkin as the top of the umbrella

?-Afinogenov?

Ovechkin-Markov-Datsyuk

Semin-?

Who should be in those question marks?

I'd put Radulov and Fedorov. But it'll probably be Aleksey Morozov and another KHLer.

Uh...huh. Clearly my post is full of anger. :rolleyes: /sarcasm

I just find it sad. Your post really does look like a juvenile Blue's fan post.

"HAHAH, DETROILET!!!111"

:hysterical: You're coming unglued and the first game hasn't even been played.. CHILL OUT.

Guest mindfly
Fedorov can be used as a shooter on the PP, and I'm guessing Morozov will get some PP time..

Anyone know if Nabokov is the designated starter for Russia?

It's confirmed on Bjurman's blogg that they will play both goalies during the groupstage and then go with the hottest one in the quarterfinal until the end.

Guest mindfly

Update from Team Canada's practice:

Bergeron-Crosby-Nash

Heatley-Thornton-Marleau

Staal-Getzlaf-Perry

Toews-Richards-Iginla

Staal och Nash switched back and forth though...

Guest mindfly
Russian PP units:

Ovechkin-Datsyuk-Malkin

Kovalchuk-Gonchar

Zaripov-Zinoviev-Morozov

Semin-Markov

Are those confirmed or just what you would want to see?