• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

NBCnothingbutcrosby

Cleary Inquiry

Rate this topic

20100404152821_05.jpg

Danny Cleary might help Wings' third line

Chris McCosky / The Detroit News

Philadelphia --The Red Wings have been riding their top two lines heavily during their late-season surge. Mike Babcock's decision to move Valtteri Filppula from center up to wing alongside Henrik Zetterberg has paid off in spades.

But it has come with a price. Without Filppula, the third line has become stagnant. The Wings may have found a remedy for that during the 4-3 loss to the Flyers Sunday.

Danny Cleary, returning after missing four straight games and six of eight because of a groin injury, played alongside Darren Helm and Patrick Eaves and the line accounted for two goals, a combined plus-4 rating and several other scoring chances.

Advertisement

"Cleary is a good player, I don't think we are surprised by that," Babcock said. "I thought Helm and Eaves put a lot of heat on their team and they were good. Maybe that's something we can move ahead with."

Helm played the entire game with a broken nose. He was hit by Ian Laperriere in his first shift. He managed to post his 11th goal with four hits, four shots and a plus-2 rating.

"We seemed to click out there," Helm said. "We got a couple of goals but we couldn't get the one we needed at the end."

Helm's line created several chances in one shift with just under three minutes left.

"With Helmer you just get it in behind the defense and let him use his speed," Cleary said. "We created a good forecheck and sustained some pressure. It's not hard to play with him at all."

Cleary said his groin did not bother him.

"Yeah, it felt good," he said. "I am pleased with the groin. It felt strong. There were no setbacks."

From The Detroit News: http://www.detnews.com/article/20100405/SPORTS0103/4050351/1128/sports0103/Danny-Cleary-might-help-Wings--third-line#ixzz0kI41JO87

Honestly this isn't a flame to pick on Cleary, but does anyone else think it's time to cut ties?

I'm not exactly sure how old he is, but must be in his 30's. He seems to be injured half of every season, and his body is slowing down. He still has some value of veteran leadership and limited gritty skill which has been in decline in my eyes. What I mean by that is when he first came here - Cleary would go into a corner for the puck and always come out with it, now not so much. I'd be open to the idea of trading cleary and lebda or meech for a young 4mill type of sniper... Which we haven't had a true sniper since Shanny. This is all just open to discussion, I know there will be some hardcore Cleary fans... I just wonder what everyone else is thinking

No offense to you or anyone else but this is one of the most uneducated posts I have come across. Or maybe just a lazy post wherein the OP does no research on the topic. Cutting ties? No thanks. Cleary is a solid hockey player and despite what you think, he does muck it out in the corners and drives hard to the net (for proof watch the game against the Flyers).

How can one even begin to think that Cleary and Lebda/Meech could be traded for a "young sniper?" No team is going to give up a young sniper for that return. Also, Cleary has a NTC and Lebda is an UFA at the end of the year and Meech is an RFA so that makes this ludicrous, dream scenario even more impossible. It is not a matter of being a hardcore Cleary fan, is realizing the logical side of this issue.

Do you watch playoff hockey? He is a great playoff player as in he grinds it out, finishes his checks, drives to the net and does the little things that are necessary to make space for his linemates. He does not have shabby numbers as a playoff performer as a member of the Wings either.

Also, Cleary has never missed half of a season as a member of the Red Wings. He has played a minimum of 63 games in his seasons as a Wing and that I believe was in 08 when Samuelsson's slap shot hit him in the face in Toronto (I was at that game sitting right behind the net that it happened in front of). That shot broke his jaw and clearly affected his playoff performance given that he lost weight due to the injury and obviously was not in his typical game shape.

I guess what I mean to say is that I disagree and believe that Cleary should not be moved.

I'm a huge Cleary fan (he's a newfy afterall) and lets be honest here guys, he's what a true hockey player should be like. He hits(hard in the playoffs, ask Phaneuf), is good for 20 goals a season, won't take s*** from other teams, STEPS UP HUGE IN THE PLAYOFFS AND PLAYED THROUGH A COMPLETELY TORN GROIN AND A BROKEN BONE IN HIS HAND LAST PLAYOFFS. If everyone on our team had the heart of Cleary on this team we would go 16-0 every playoff.

To suggest we should move him with Hudler coming back is crazy. Hudler has put up 20 goals before but where is he come playoffs? Not performing because he's undersized and soft.

With all his injuries this year should we really throw Cleary under the bus? Wait til the playoffs start then pass judgement because he seems healthy now and has found his form. Eaves, Helm, Cleary is a great playoff line. Speedy Helm creating chances, Eaves with a hard shot, great defensively and has shown he can score 20 and then Cleary with his goal scoring but still grinding. All three guys can hit. These guys are gonna f*** s*** up come playoff time.

Honestly this isn't a flame to pick on Cleary, but does anyone else think it's time to cut ties?

I'm not exactly sure how old he is, but must be in his 30's. He seems to be injured half of every season, and his body is slowing down. He still has some value of veteran leadership and limited gritty skill which has been in decline in my eyes. What I mean by that is when he first came here - Cleary would go into a corner for the puck and always come out with it, now not so much. I'd be open to the idea of trading cleary and lebda or meech for a young 4mill type of sniper... Which we haven't had a true sniper since Shanny. This is all just open to discussion, I know there will be some hardcore Cleary fans... I just wonder what everyone else is thinking

First of all cleary is the man don't hate second of all Franzens a sniper

First of all cleary is the man don't hate second of all Franzens a sniper

No, Franzen has a great shot but isn't a natural sniper like Brett Hull was. Franzen is more shifty/good in close and doesn't find as many open lanes to shoot from at the top of the hash marks as well as other Snipers in the league not taking anything away from Franzen. When I say sniper I mean Jeff Carter and Heatley type players.

As so mentioned above... I'd move Cleary and Hudler for a 6 million or so a year proven sniper... I don't see why not. If Cleary waived his NTC which I don't see happening. Hudler is undersized and gets pushed off the puck too easy and also vanishes in the playoffs.

No, Franzen has a great shot but isn't a natural sniper like Brett Hull was. Franzen is more shifty/good in close and doesn't find as many open lanes to shoot from at the top of the hash marks as well as other Snipers in the league not taking anything away from Franzen. When I say sniper I mean Jeff Carter and Heatley type players.

As so mentioned above... I'd move Cleary and Hudler for a 6 million or so a year proven sniper... I don't see why not. If Cleary waived his NTC which I don't see happening. Hudler is undersized and gets pushed off the puck too easy and also vanishes in the playoffs.

Underestimate Hudler and Franzen you do.