Playoffs on TV in Europe?

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 SanFranWingsFan

SanFranWingsFan

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:27 PM

I am going to be in Spain (Barcelona) and Southern France (near Nice and Monaco) in a couple weeks. Does anyone know if the playoffs are televised in Europe? What satellite/what stations? I'm only going to have an iPhone, so streaming web feeds won't be practical. Alternatively, a bar in Barcelona or Nice/Monaco with international sports?? (hopefully the boys will still be playing ;) )

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:31 PM

I have no clue, but if I was visiting any of those places, the last thing I'd want to be doing is watching TV. Barcelona? Southern France? For someone who lives in the hick Midwest, those places sound like heaven to me.

I don't know if we have any posters here from southern Europe, though, as far as you finding out how to watch games down there. We have Scandinavian posters who might help you, but hockey is more popular up there than in the places you're going.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 18 April 2010 - 12:34 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,186 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:37 PM

I kinda doubt any of the games will be televised. I've been hearing about a justin.tv app for the iPhone where you can watch games streaming right on your phone. I don't know much about it, dunno if it'll work internationally.

My brother was in Barcelona for the fall semester and he caught most of the Wings games online. Also, keep in mind the time difference. Barcelona is (I think) something like 6 hours ahead of EST.

As far as a bar somewhere that gets games, I'm sure there much be SOMETHING, but as to where you can find it... I can't help you.
Posted Image

#4 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:39 PM

Hockey doesn't exist in them countries but i know UK and germany has some special channels/networks that brodcast some NHL hockey..

Edited by mindfly, 18 April 2010 - 12:39 PM.

#5 YMHC

YMHC

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 221 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:43 PM

http://www.espnamerica.com/
Posted Image

#6 MoeMoney

MoeMoney

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:45 PM

There is a website that can be accessed in Canada for live streaming of a lot of sports (All NHL games)

www.atdhe.net

If you are in Europe you may need to use a proxy server to gain access (to hide your location). I have used www.hidemyass.com , which normally works.

Good luck! ... GO WINGS!

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:49 PM

I think the guy said he's only going to have an iPhone.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 18 April 2010 - 12:49 PM.

#8 MoeMoney

MoeMoney

Draftee

• 2 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 12:54 PM

Ooops! .... I would bet that today be your best chance (as game is nationally televised ) ..... I highly doubt they get Versus / TSN many places in Spain!

#9 Reds4Life

Reds4Life

Red Wings

• Gold Booster
  • 2,640 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:05 PM

Don't even hope for televised games. Most people in Spain have not ever seen a hockey game.
You could listen to NHL.com radio feed or something though.

Edited by Reds4Life, 18 April 2010 - 01:06 PM.

#10 SanFranWingsFan

SanFranWingsFan

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:12 PM

All good suggestions.

Where are the Swedes on the Forum? Don't you take vacation in Spain? Or has it been overrun with Brits??

#11 SanFranWingsFan

SanFranWingsFan

Jr. Prospect

• 24 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:20 PM

http://www.espnamerica.com/

This looks promising.

#12 Berry

Berry

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 63 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 01:36 PM

High quality: www.espn360.com NOT FREE

Lower quality: www.myp2p.com FREE but not all the games are covered

#13 Pepist

Pepist

Rookie

• Pip
  • 134 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 04:10 PM

I rarely go to Spain, but I'm often in southern France. Your only chance is a hotel with American channels. You can usually get the big ones, NBC being the most common. When I lived in England Channel 5 (I think) used to televise NHL games on wednesdays, maybe you can get that in France or Spain. But yeah, they basically don't know what hockey is. Maybe try at http://www.myp2pforum.eu/?

#14 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:07 PM

I rarely go to Spain, but I'm often in southern France. Your only chance is a hotel with American channels. You can usually get the big ones, NBC being the most common. When I lived in England Channel 5 (I think) used to televise NHL games on wednesdays, maybe you can get that in France or Spain. But yeah, they basically don't know what hockey is. Maybe try at http://www.myp2pforum.eu/?

I don't think channel 5 show hockey anymore, last season all they had was a playoff highlight show once a week at around 4am.

around here the only hope of watching any NHL is online streams or ESPN America and id imagine it will be the same around Spain or France
Posted Image

#15 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,176 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

The rain in Spain stays mainly in the plain.

#16 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:12 PM

hockeystreams is available on iPhone now. I would go with that if you want to have at least some sort of access to the games. You are unlikely to find it on TV.

If you are sketched out about putting in your payment information on hockeystreams (like I was), go to your bank or grocery store and get yourself a credit card "gift card" and register with some fake name. That's what I did. It's 18 or so dollars to have access to all the playoff games with no blackouts.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#17 VanDer

VanDer

Irish Wing!

• PipPipPip
  • 652 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 05:40 PM

EDIT: Nevermind

Edited by VanDer, 18 April 2010 - 05:44 PM.

Posted Image

#18 Williams29fan

Williams29fan

THe NiCkeRS

• PipPipPip
  • 643 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:02 PM

Good luck finding anything other than World Cup... it starts June 10th.

#19 Datsasuk

Datsasuk

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 96 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 08:47 PM

Yeah websites will probably be your best bet, I think televised games will be out of the question

#20 puffy

puffy

Slightly Insane

• PipPip
  • 259 posts

Posted 18 April 2010 - 09:05 PM

I lived in Germany for a little while and it was really interesting because the people liked hockey, just not NHL hockey. The local teams had sell out crowds constantly, but whenever I mentioned the NHL noone really seemed to give a damn.