• Please log in to reply
997 replies to this topic

#961 eva unit zero

eva unit zero

Save the Princess...Save the World

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,734 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:39 AM

Howard was the best player on the ice in games 4 and 5. Shouldn't that count for something?

It does. The question is, why was he that good in games 4 and 5, but so bad in games 1-3 and game 6? What caused the difference? What is the likelihood that we see the Howard we want in Game 7?

And furthermore, if we see the Howard who has played most of the series, does Babcock take the chance and go to Osgood with the chance that Osgood could still flip the switch and carry the Wings? Or does Babcock ride the horse off the cliff and hope there's a bridge?

"I've never seen a warlock do that without his magic."
"I once devoured a monk's soul. It tasted like chocolate."

#962 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 12:56 AM

red wings had a chance to close it out on home ice, but blew it.

i wish CBC would carry game 7...even if it is Mark Lee (great) and Kevin Weekes (shudder)

edit: where was zetterberg today? this is the first game of this series he didnt even get a point.

Edited by ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24, 26 April 2010 - 01:02 AM.

#963 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,335 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 01:09 AM

It does. The question is, why was he that good in games 4 and 5, but so bad in games 1-3 and game 6? What caused the difference? What is the likelihood that we see the Howard we want in Game 7?

And furthermore, if we see the Howard who has played most of the series, does Babcock take the chance and go to Osgood with the chance that Osgood could still flip the switch and carry the Wings? Or does Babcock ride the horse off the cliff and hope there's a bridge?

That's a really tough choice to be honest. I'm glad I don't have to make it.
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#964 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 05:08 AM

I live in California now and don't have the luxury of going to the games like I used to years ago. The crowd at the Joe is pathetic. It's like a morgue in that place. It's like people forget that the players feed off the energy of the crowd. Spoiled I guess. Used to winning all the time. They cheer when the Wings score and if we make a big hit now and then. But for the most part it's pretty quiet. Watch the crowd at The Staples Center tonight. And for that matter, watch the crowd in Phoenix next game. I, partly, blame the fans at the Joe. :angry:

Did you watch the game? There was a reason it was so quite. The Joe was loud at the start of the game and when it was a close game. Once it got out of hand though the crowd lost interest. Honestly, you think the crowd is going to be pumped and loud when their team is losing by 4 goals? The crowd feeds of off the team's play.

The Staples Center was pretty quite when the Kings gave up goals.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#965 motorcitykid

motorcitykid

Red Wings DJ

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:32 AM

Crap result. The boys really wanna do this the difficult way, I guess. They know they blew it today, but PHX did what they needed to, and couldn't afford a loss. Somewhere in the back of the Wings minds they figured they had 2 opportunities to win this. Well I'll take the Wings over a team with no clue how to handle the pressure they are going to feel Tuesday in front if a home crowd with big pressure. All of what PHX has been through this year, they've already won. Wings have been there, done that. Game 7 will be no different.

And in the most polite way possible, to all those screaming to start Ozzie, STFU!!!!! Geez, I'm tired of this Maple Leaf mentality around here. We win 1 game, everyone bends over backwards praising Howie. Lose one, and you abandon him???!!!!! They WILL bounce back, guys!! And Shark is next up on the menu!!!!

Go Wings!!!

#966 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 07:49 AM

There should be no doubt in the eyes of Wings fans when it comes to who should start in net for the Wings. Howard is the clear cut starter. As anyone who is a true hockey fan knows, the team has to show up in front of him. Otherwise, it will be just like when Luongo played for Florida. Sure, Luongo was good, but unless the team helps you out, there is no way you are going to win games. The team in front of the goalie has to come out with intensity and work hard.

I cannot say that Detroit has deserved to win in the games that they lost. Game 1 they played lazy. Game 2 they played reckless but came out on top because Phoenix did the same thing. Game 3 they played lazy. Game 4 they were dominant and clicking on all cylinders. Game 5 they played well, but didn't pick up the intensity until the last period of the game. Game 6 they were lazy again.

Inconsistent hockey will not win you championships. Inconsistent efforts will get you eliminated quickly.

The Wings are fortunate to be in this position. I have faith they will win on Tuesday. If not, well, just like I said last year when the cup final went 7 games.....if they lose they will have no one to blame but themselves.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#967 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:24 AM

There should be no doubt in the eyes of Wings fans when it comes to who should start in net for the Wings. Howard is the clear cut starter. As anyone who is a true hockey fan knows, the team has to show up in front of him. Otherwise, it will be just like when Luongo played for Florida. Sure, Luongo was good, but unless the team helps you out, there is no way you are going to win games. The team in front of the goalie has to come out with intensity and work hard.

I cannot say that Detroit has deserved to win in the games that they lost. Game 1 they played lazy. Game 2 they played reckless but came out on top because Phoenix did the same thing. Game 3 they played lazy. Game 4 they were dominant and clicking on all cylinders. Game 5 they played well, but didn't pick up the intensity until the last period of the game. Game 6 they were lazy again.

Inconsistent hockey will not win you championships. Inconsistent efforts will get you eliminated quickly.

The Wings are fortunate to be in this position. I have faith they will win on Tuesday. If not, well, just like I said last year when the cup final went 7 games.....if they lose they will have no one to blame but themselves.

:clap: Agreed. Howard hasen't been lights out this series, but he has been good enough, and in my mind cannot be blamed should we lose in game 7 (barring a catostrophic meltdown). Yes his stats last game were horrid, but goals 2-4 really were not weak goals by any means. If I was Babcock though, as soon as the deflected one went in and the game became 3-1, I would have called a time out, as you can see he was rattled.
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#968 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,870 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:29 AM

I know I shouldn't be surprised, yet I am that there a people discussing yanking Howard.

It was definitely not one of his stronger games, but he was hardly the major reason the Wings lost, which is what the case would have to be for Osgood to start.

As I said before, more than anything he was the only one defending his net. He makes the first save, then there's two Coyotes players there to whack at any rebound. Now watch the highlights at the other end. Typically there's at least two if not three Phoenix players by Bryzgalov to clear the crease and any rebounds.

He let in an Ozzy-like five hole goal on the shorty, but otherwise played pretty well. The Yotes had a couple seeing-eye goals and were screening him well.

In short, ya gotta dance with the one who brung you. Jimmy will start, play big in net, and the Wings win.

#969 HOCKEY MATTERS

HOCKEY MATTERS

Nearly invisible now........you smell that?

• HoF Booster
  • 2,401 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:39 AM

The Wings took all of Bobby Lang's lazy and suck away form him in game 6. They better give all of it back to him and play some hockey.
half the world is nuts...and the other half is crazy
"You can't chew yesterdays' breakfast." Jim Leyland
Drawing on my fine command of language, I said nothing.

Alternative to Google tracking you.... http://duckduckgo.com/

#970 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:46 AM

I know I shouldn't be surprised, yet I am that there a people discussing yanking Howard.

It was definitely not one of his stronger games, but he was hardly the major reason the Wings lost, which is what the case would have to be for Osgood to start.

As I said before, more than anything he was the only one defending his net. He makes the first save, then there's two Coyotes players there to whack at any rebound. Now watch the highlights at the other end. Typically there's at least two if not three Phoenix players by Bryzgalov to clear the crease and any rebounds.

He let in an Ozzy-like five hole goal on the shorty, but otherwise played pretty well. The Yotes had a couple seeing-eye goals and were screening him well.

In short, ya gotta dance with the one who brung you. Jimmy will start, play big in net, and the Wings win.

Why are you saying howard will play big and wings will win, they were supposed to win game 6, too... they didn't... there's too much "We'll be fine"-thinking on these boards DAMMIT. :thumbdown:

Wake the f*ck up, wings play like s*** and being too inconsistent to qualify...

Edited by mindfly, 26 April 2010 - 08:47 AM.

#971 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:49 AM

Why are you saying howard will play big and wings will win, they were supposed to win game 6, too... they didn't... there's too much "We'll be fine"-thinking on these boards DAMMIT. :thumbdown:

You act as if our emotions or feelings have anything to do with how the Red Wing's play. Somehow I doubt this to be true. There is nothign wrong in prefering a more favorable outcome.
Victory Honda Forever.

#972 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:51 AM

You act as if our emotions or feelings have anything to do with how the Red Wing's play. Somehow I doubt this to be true. There is nothign wrong in prefering a more favorable outcome.

Then say "I hope they will be fine" "I think there's a chance howard can play big in the net" you just sound like a retard stating "they WILL win no problem."

#973 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 08:58 AM

Then say "I hope they will be fine" "I think there's a chance howard can play big in the net" you just sound like a retard stating "they WILL win no problem."

Thinking they will win and being optimistic is different than blind optimism and claming we will repeat 2002 vs the Avs. Maybe it's just a difference of opinion and sports culture, but I really can't see why you must always be such a negative guy a lot of the time, I understand it kinda saves you from more dissapointment, but in the end the Team will perform how they perform, you cannot control it. What you can control however, is your feelings on it, and I just really cant see why someone would almost always be so universially negative/pessimistic.
Victory Honda Forever.

#974 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:06 AM

Thinking they will win and being optimistic is different than blind optimism and claming we will repeat 2002 vs the Avs. Maybe it's just a difference of opinion and sports culture, but I really can't see why you must always be such a negative guy a lot of the time, I understand it kinda saves you from more dissapointment, but in the end the Team will perform how they perform, you cannot control it. What you can control however, is your feelings on it, and I just really cant see why someone would almost always be so universially negative/pessimistic.

I see myself as realistic most of the times, it not realistic to say "Wings will win, i'm not worried" based on how they played in this series, phoenix have a better chance of qualifying for the next round weather you like the thought or not. (Game 7 at home with the crowd, last change, logistics etc speaks for phoenix)

Edited by mindfly, 26 April 2010 - 09:07 AM.

#975 FedorovGurl

FedorovGurl

2nd Line Scorer

• HoF Booster
  • 548 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:42 AM

Seriously, have the Wings won an afternoon game EVER? I can't remember ever winning one.
Welcome Back Kotter Hudler!! ".... who'd of thought they'd lead ya back here where we need ya? "

#976 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:45 AM

Seriously, have the Wings won an afternoon game EVER? I can't remember ever winning one.

5-4 win at United center maybe 2months ago? although they were really close to let chicago tie that one (and yeah, lose in OT/SO)

#977 Z and D for the C

Z and D for the C

This is the TBL forum, right?

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,025 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 09:59 AM

Game 4 was the shutout. I removed Howard's best game statistically, to show how the rest of the series has been rather tragic.

What happens if we just idiotically remove his worst game?

Howard's numbers if you take out Game 6:

Saves/Shots, Sv%: 147/159, .926%
GA, Mins, GAA: 12, 297:02, 2.42
SAPG: 32

That's good enough for 5th in Sv% and 7th in GAA! For a rookie, what a champ!

Putting Osgood in for game 7 could be the most stupid decision Babcock has ever made.

Edited by Z and D for the C, 26 April 2010 - 10:01 AM.

Just cause you look like the gimp don't mean you play like the gimp!

#978 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:28 AM

What happens if we just idiotically remove his worst game?

Howard's numbers if you take out Game 6:

Saves/Shots, Sv%: 147/159, .926%
GA, Mins, GAA: 12, 297:02, 2.42
SAPG: 32

That's good enough for 5th in Sv% and 7th in GAA! For a rookie, what a champ!

Putting Osgood in for game 7 could be the most stupid decision Babcock has ever made.

:clap: Bravo. I'm a huge Osgood supporter, but at this stage of the season and with him so out of practice, Babcock would be a fool to risk a series on an unknown. While statically last game was his worst, the only game I really think you could give Howard even a decent amount of lame in was game 3. Stats don't tell the whole picture in such a small time frame, and if you don't believe me look at Sammuelsson's goals, and Helms +/-
Victory Honda Forever.

#979 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,739 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:29 AM

First off, being the fan of a pro team really is quite sobering. I used to feel like you did. If the Wings didn't win, I took it all negatively. I was hard on the team, and more over, harder on myself. After I started playing hockey, I got a whole new appreciation for the sport. When I watch the Wings now, I want them to win, but ultimately I know that its up to them to make it happen. When I play my games, I want to win, and I know that my performance and the performance of my team dictates the outcome. You feel that you have more control over the outcome because you are playing the game.

The Wings were not supposed to win game 6 anymore than the Wings were supposed to win the Stanley Cup. The Wings had to come out with a hard fought intense effort to win, and they didn't. Fault Howard alone? No. Fault the team? Yes. No one brought their A game Sunday afternoon.

The general thinking on these boards is what most fans do. If you are a glass half full kind of guy like me, then you think the Wings will be fine and you believe it. If you are a glass half empty kind of guy, like you are, then you think the world is coming to an end and the Wings are going to lose it. So who is right? We will see on Tuesday. No one knows what the final outcome will be. It just all depends if you are a pessimist or an optimist.

You can get pissed off at the Wings or members on this forum for being positive all you want. Just like I can continue to call out people like yourself for being bandwagon fans. The simple fact of the matter is that people will behave like they want to. In the end, the Wings will play their game and none of this really matters. Well, except for the bandwagon fans like yourself that will head off to root for the Blackhawks, Sharks, Caps, or other winning team down the road after the Wings have a few tough seasons.

Edited by Nightfall, 26 April 2010 - 10:33 AM.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#980 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 26 April 2010 - 10:50 AM

This series reminds me a lot of the Anaheim series last year. Anaheim was really the better team (as is Phoenix) in many games, but the Wings got that lucky last second goal by Cleary. Then they were fine for most of the rest of the playoffs. Let's hope we get a repeat here and Phoenix is the toughest team we'll face (which seems likely, based on who is left).
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.