• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
zetterbergfan

100th Greatest All-time NHL Playoff Scorer

Rate this topic

Still remember seeing him play for the first time and being completely underwhelmed.

Man did I ever eat the crow for that judgment.

I thought, so too. His first year or two I remember everyone praising him and me thinking he was nothing special. The rest, of course, is history.

I thought, so too. His first year or two I remember everyone praising him and me thinking he was nothing special. The rest, of course, is history.

Yep, goes to show you there is more to hockey then just being the best skater, best shot, best hands and great size eh?

Good lesson learned, glad the Wings figured it out earlier then most teams. :thumbup:

Not here, no. LOL

It's hard for some guys to understand but I talked with my sister the other day and we both agreed that if her future kids were to ever call her a ***** that she would pretty much say, "Damn right I'm a *****! It's why you will listen to me!" Haha. So I can see how a moniker of that sort can be a source of pride for some women.

Oh to look back on his scouting report from 2002...

Scouting Report

Zetterberg is an agile skater with impressive overall skill in all departments. He possesses phenomenal hockey sense which he uses to his advantage in all situations. He has soft hands and can stickhandle through traffic in high speed. Although not possessing a large frame, he is a very strong and well balanced player who is hard to knock of the puck. He understands the role he playes as a center and takes care of his defensive duties as well. With his phenomenal hockey sense, playmaking ability and imagination he has the ability to quarterback a power play with ease. He has also shown that he can perform well in key situations and key games on manny occasions. He will need to work on his shot and use it more often, but that will come as he adjusts to the North American style.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/articles/4919/red_wings_report_henrik_zetterberg_profile/

I can see where you're coming from. Hank isn't one of those guys who awes you with his pure talent (for example Fedorov and Datsyuk). Part of his success comes from his determination and ability to raise his game when challenged (especially when he's asked to shut down elite players). Sure he's got tons of talent but he doesn't have the ridiculous moves like Datsyuk or the insane natural talent of a guy like Feds (I'm sticking with Wings players since they're the ones I've watched the most).

Hank is one of those guys who just makes it happen by playing smart, picking his shots, being opportunistic, raising his game to the occasion and having enough elite talent. We've seen Z do some pretty sick things with the puck but he doesn't have the pure talent of a guy like Datsyuk.

Z's definitely got that heart and determination that made Yzerman so great. Of course that kind of thing isn't as apparent in rookies.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

I can see where you're coming from. Hank isn't one of those guys who awes you with his pure talent (for example Fedorov and Datsyuk). Part of his success comes from his determination and ability to raise his game when challenged (especially when he's asked to shut down elite players). Sure he's got tons of talent but he doesn't have the ridiculous moves like Datsyuk or the insane natural talent of a guy like Feds (I'm sticking with Wings players since they're the ones I've watched the most).

Hank is one of those guys who just makes it happen by playing smart, picking his shots, being opportunistic, raising his game to the occasion and having enough elite talent. We've seen Z do some pretty sick things with the puck but he doesn't have the pure talent of a guy like Datsyuk.

Z's definitely got that heart and determination that made Yzerman so great. Of course that kind of thing isn't as apparent in rookies.

This. Datsyuk is one of the best if not the best raw talent players ever to play the game, but Zetterberg is just all brains and determination.

This. Datsyuk is one of the best if not the best raw talent players ever to play the game, but Zetterberg is just all brains and determination.

And we have 'em both for the entirety of their careers. How lucky are we?

And we have 'em both for the entirety of their careers. How lucky are we?

Yeah, the best part is, they aren't even halfway done yet. Z is already 6th all-time franchise and 100th in NHL history. Where can he end up?

Its a pleasure to watch this guy play. Can't take it for granted to have 2 of the best 2 way players this game has seen in a while. There may be nothing better than to watch how pissed opposing players get about his determination to shut them down and stay on the puck.

Way to go Hank

Interesting quote from Bert.

That line, for the most part, was matched against the Sharks' top line of Patrick Marleau, Joe Thornton and Dany Heatley -- a line that wound up with five shots on goal and a combined minus-6.

"You have to credit Hank for that," Bertuzzi said. "He brings it both ways every game. The way he's committed to the defensive end can frustrate you; I know from having played against him in the past. It's tough.

"If he was ever given the green light to be an offensive player, he'd have 120 points a year."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20100507/SPORTS0103/5070397/1128/rss16#ixzz0nHbt2JRb

Edited by titanium2

Still remember seeing him play for the first time and being completely underwhelmed.

Man did I ever eat the crow for that judgment.

Seriously?

I used to get Swedish league games when I lived at my parents' house. I could tell Z was going to be a great player before he was even drafted. I was absolutely STUNNED when he dropped so far in his draft year and I was ecstatic when the Wings ended up getting him.

I am surprised to hear someone talking about being underwhelmed about Z's level of play on first sight; he wasn't projected as a superstar and he came into the league playing pretty well from the off.

Really?

What about that stretch of 1 1/2-2 months where the hottest line in the league was Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Hull? That was really special. Especially for a rookie and a sophomore.

They were amazingly fun to watch.