• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Guest Heaten

Fire sale in Chicago?

Rate this topic

I thought all bonuses are supposed to count against the cap anyways?

They do, the question is when they count

thats what i thought. they cant make Huet's contract disappear.

I heard they could take it off the cap by sending him to the minors. I was thinking it can't be that easy. I realize you can't necessarily do that for a player that you want to keep because someone would claim them, but if it's that easy to just dump a guy in the minors you can't trade and just take him off the cap, it seems like it'd happen a whole heck of a lot more.

Guest EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Step one to building a dominant franchise- Loyalty drafting Nick Lidstrom.

They do, the question is when they count

I heard they could take it off the cap by sending him to the minors. I was thinking it can't be that easy. I realize you can't necessarily do that for a player that you want to keep because someone would claim them, but if it's that easy to just dump a guy in the minors you can't trade and just take him off the cap, it seems like it'd happen a whole heck of a lot more.

The main deterrent (aside from the bad PR with other players) is that the Hawks would still have to pay his full salary and thus would end up paying roughly $12M for a goalie to play in the minors for 2 years.

Yes I know the average is what counts against the cap. But their cap hit for each was about $2m. What I am saying is if the base max is $850k for ELC why was their cap hit ~$2m? That has to include their goal, assist, points bonuses right into the cap number, right?

The cap is more than a little confusing, no doubt.

As you already seem to know, bonuses do count towards the cap in the year they could be earned, as they're factored into the averaged salary. (Side note: if a bonus becomes impossible to achieve during the season, teams are credited for that amount) But since they're bonuses, and may or may not be earned, there is a bonus cushion, allowing teams with potential bonus payouts to go over the cap by up to 7.5%. At the end of the season, once the actual bonuses are determined, if a team is over the cap, that overage is counted against the cap for the following season.

According to capgeek, Chicago's cap payroll was $60,778,063. Just a shade less than $4M over cap. $5 million of that is bonuses paid to Kane and Toews. That's how they were able to spend that much. So if in fact both players earned their full bonuses, that $4M is applied against next season's cap.

One thing I don't know is if, since that money was technically earned over the course of the season (including when Hossa was on IR), they will be allowed to use the LTIR expemption. If so, it would give them another ~$1.5 million to play with.

Also worth noting that next year, since it could potentially be the final year of the CBA, will not have a bonus cushion. All potential bonuses need to fit under the cap. That could further limit Chicago's options in promoting some of their minor-leaguers. That might change if the NHLPA decides early enough to extend the CBA, but I'm not sure.

Well, for all of what amounts to a lot of wishful thinking by Wings fans, that the Hawks get ripped apart and become one season wonders, anybody care to put their money where their mouth is? Anybody care to make a prediction for the Hawks for next season and the season next?

Here's mine: Hawks will compete for Central title both years. Hawks will make playoffs both years. Hawks will reach Conference Finals at least one more time in the next two seasons.

Anybody else care to put a prediction out there for the record?

I'm not sure if I can count newfy's statement "The hawks are absolutely f***ed next season" as I don't know what that means? Does that mean they won't make the playoffs?

I meant that their team is not going to be anything close to what it was this year because of the retarded contracts they handed out. They very well may end up like Tampa Bay.

Stamkos, Vinny, St Louis and Downie are all solid players but somehow they absolutely sucked last year. I don't think chicago will be quite as bad as Tampa but they very well might end up finishing in the 7-11 range in a season or 2

I meant that their team is not going to be anything close to what it was this year because of the retarded contracts they handed out. They very well may end up like Tampa Bay.

Stamkos, Vinny, St Louis and Downie are all solid players but somehow they absolutely sucked last year. I don't think chicago will be quite as bad as Tampa but they very well might end up finishing in the 7-11 range in a season or 2

Another factor for Tampa was pretty average goaltending. We all thought that goaltending would be Chicago's downfall, but Niemi turned out to be very solid for a rookie. I don't know if I see him having a Steve Mason-like sophomore season.

Another factor for Tampa was pretty average goaltending. We all thought that goaltending would be Chicago's downfall, but Niemi turned out to be very solid for a rookie. I don't know if I see him having a Steve Mason-like sophomore season.

Niemi had his moments. I think once NHL teams see him in a full season they are gonna be able to beat him more. Most have found out his glove hand is very good, he has some rebound issues, and at times cloudy mind.

Niemi had his moments. I think once NHL teams see him in a full season they are gonna be able to beat him more. Most have found out his glove hand is very good, he has some rebound issues, and at times cloudy mind.

Niemi is easy to get to if you can score early. His mental toughness is very suspect. It's either a shut-out or a blow-out with him.