Guest Heaten

Fire sale in Chicago?

Rate this topic

Guest Lidstromboli

toews gets a 1.3 mil bonus for winning conn smythe

it counts against the cap too

Guest mindfly

I wish we could steal Hjalmarsson somehow.. :(

He's a good player no doubt, but In my opinion I think he looks better than he really is when playing on that powerhouse team that chicago is.

So.... is there any way that s***cago can do what I'm seeing rumored and waive campbell and huet and be done with the cap woes? Or is this not possible?

I personally hope it's not so I can LOL at them for a while longer.

Well they are about equally good but they have age on their side and will be that good for a longer time than detroit, that will have to have a new core in a few years when lidstrom have retired, datsyuk cooled down, zetterberg not as impressive/slower etc

Toews has never scored 70pts in the NHL. Kane has 72/70/88pts in the NHL and is horrific defensively.

I'll still take Datsyuk and Zetterberg over those two any day of the week.

Keith... well he's just entering his prime and Lidstrom will be 41 years old at the end of the season. I'd kill to get Keith or better yet, Doughty here.

Edited by Drake_Marcus

Lol @ "firesale"

The Blackhawks will end up losing a group of 3 along the lines of Versteeg, Ladd, and Sopel. Versteeg was close to worthless the entire second half of the season and a huge liability in the playoffs (despite scoring some timely goals). Sopel is a good PKer and boosted his value with a nice postseason, but losing your 5th best D-man isn't the end of the world. Ladd will be missed most as he is an underrated forward, but come on. Losing those 3 guys is supposed to terrify blackhawks fans?

The Blackhawks will get worse this offseason, no doubt. But the change we're talking about is going from the best team in the NHL, to one of the top 5-6 teams in the NHL. They're losing depth, they aren't losing their team. I don't really understand why people are acting like the Hawks aren't going to be an elite team next season. They're going to be very good, again.

There's no cap in the AHL.

If Huet is waived, he won't count against the cap. But he can't be taken off their cap until the end of training camp.

Also, Jonathan Toews gets a $1.3 million bonus for winning the Conn Smythe. Because it wouldn't fit on Chicago's cap from this past season, it carries over to the 2010/11 season.

IIRC, teams don't have to fit under the cap until the start of the season.

And he can be removed from their roster before training camp by not participating, which should take his cap hit off the roster.

Lol @ "firesale"

The Blackhawks will end up losing a group of 3 along the lines of Versteeg, Ladd, and Sopel. Versteeg was close to worthless the entire second half of the season and a huge liability in the playoffs (despite scoring some timely goals). Sopel is a good PKer and boosted his value with a nice postseason, but losing your 5th best D-man isn't the end of the world. Ladd will be missed most as he is an underrated forward, but come on. Losing those 3 guys is supposed to terrify blackhawks fans?

The Blackhawks will get worse this offseason, no doubt. But the change we're talking about is going from the best team in the NHL, to one of the top 5-6 teams in the NHL. They're losing depth, they aren't losing their team. I don't really understand why people are acting like the Hawks aren't going to be an elite team next season. They're going to be very good, again.

Please explain how the Hawks will only lose Versteeg, Ladd, and Sopel. Here's what I get when taking those guys out and filling the rest of the roster out with cheap players...(cap at 57.5 for Toews' bonus)

AUTO-GENERATED CAPGEEK.COM LINES

FORWARDS

Jonathan Toews ($6.300m) / Patrick Kane ($6.300m) / Marian Hossa ($5.275m)

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($3.000m)

* Jack Skille ($1.275m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

* Ben Eager ($0.965m) / * Adam Burish ($0.712m) / * Colin Fraser ($0.700m)

* Bryan Bickell ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * Niklas Hjalmarsson ($2.643m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.897m) / Brian Connelly ($0.875m)

Simon Danis-Pepin ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

Cristobal Huet ($5.625m) / * Antti Niemi ($2.826m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $57.5m; PAYROLL: $64.425m; CAP ROOM: $-6.057m BONUSES: $0.868m

Lol @ "firesale"

Yes please explain your math on how this works out. I'm curious.

Please explain how the Hawks will only lose Versteeg, Ladd, and Sopel. Here's what I get when taking those guys out and filling the rest of the roster out with cheap players...(cap at 57.5 for Toews' bonus)

FORWARDS

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Dustin Byfuglien ($3.000m)

* Jack Skille ($1.275m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m) / Troy Brouwer ($1.025m)

* Ben Eager ($0.965m) / * Adam Burish ($0.712m) / * Colin Fraser ($0.700m)

* Bryan Bickell ($0.500m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Campbell ($7.143m) / Duncan Keith ($5.538m)

Brent Seabrook ($3.500m) / * Niklas Hjalmarsson ($2.643m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.897m) / Brian Connelly ($0.875m)

Simon Danis-Pepin ($0.850m)

GOALTENDERS

Cristobal Huet ($5.625m) / * Antti Niemi ($2.826m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $57.5m; PAYROLL: $64.425m; CAP ROOM: $-6.057m BONUSES: $0.868m

Hmm...

Keeping RFA Jordan Hendry on the roster (he was one of the team's top 6 defensemen all year) I'll show you how. I think your numbers might be a little off for Niemi and Hjalmarsson, but for argument's sake I'll use them, as well as required qualifying offers for all other RFAs.

Waive Huet and Campbell. Sign Ladd, Eager, Fraser, Bickell, Hjalmarsson, Hendry, and Niemi. Get this:

FORWARDS

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)

Dustin Byfuglien ($3.000m) / * Andrew Ladd ($2.000m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)

Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / * Ben Eager ($1.013m) / * Colin Fraser ($0.735m)

* Bryan Bickell ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($3.500m)

* Niklas Hjalmarsson ($2.643m) / Brent Sopel ($2.333m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.897m) / * Jordan Hendry ($0.893m)

Brian Connelly ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

* Antti Niemi ($2.826m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $57.5m; PAYROLL: $58.063m; CAP ROOM: $0.030m BONUSES: $0.593m

*8-bit winning music*

Hooray!

That's a roster that can contend for the Cup the next few years, as long as cap management is good. The problem is that after next season, Seabrook and Byfuglien are both RFA. That's going to be a more difficult offseason than this one if they use the waiver strategy I put forth. 2012 sees Sharp as UFA and Versteeg as RFA. So the next couple of years will take some clever management regarding player movement and contract handling. I would bet that the Hawks trade Kane by 2015, which is when his $6.3m deal runs out and he'll be a UFA looking to get at least 20 cents on his deal, but that's just me.

Hmm...

Keeping RFA Jordan Hendry on the roster (he was one of the team's top 6 defensemen all year) I'll show you how. I think your numbers might be a little off for Niemi and Hjalmarsson, but for argument's sake I'll use them, as well as required qualifying offers for all other RFAs.

Waive Huet and Campbell. Sign Ladd, Eager, Fraser, Bickell, Hjalmarsson, Hendry, and Niemi. Get this:

FORWARDS

Patrick Sharp ($3.900m) / Dave Bolland ($3.375m) / Kris Versteeg ($3.083m)

Dustin Byfuglien ($3.000m) / * Andrew Ladd ($2.000m) / Tomas Kopecky ($1.200m)

Troy Brouwer ($1.025m) / * Ben Eager ($1.013m) / * Colin Fraser ($0.735m)

* Bryan Bickell ($0.550m)

DEFENSEMEN

Duncan Keith ($5.538m) / Brent Seabrook ($3.500m)

* Niklas Hjalmarsson ($2.643m) / Brent Sopel ($2.333m)

Ryan Stanton ($0.897m) / * Jordan Hendry ($0.893m)

Brian Connelly ($0.875m)

GOALTENDERS

* Antti Niemi ($2.826m) / Corey Crawford ($0.800m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER: 22; CAP: $57.5m; PAYROLL: $58.063m; CAP ROOM: $0.030m BONUSES: $0.593m

*8-bit winning music*

Hooray!

That's a roster that can contend for the Cup the next few years, as long as cap management is good. The problem is that after next season, Seabrook and Byfuglien are both RFA. That's going to be a more difficult offseason than this one if they use the waiver strategy I put forth. 2012 sees Sharp as UFA and Versteeg as RFA. So the next couple of years will take some clever management regarding player movement and contract handling. I would bet that the Hawks trade Kane by 2015, which is when his $6.3m deal runs out and he'll be a UFA looking to get at least 20 cents on his deal, but that's just me.

Now, explain the scenario that sees Huet's 5.5M and Campbell's 7.5M and NTC getting moved. Do you really think Campbell will play in the AHL?

Guest Heaten

I hope Chicago does take the unethical and immoral rout by screwing over Huet and Campbell by waiving them, and sending them down to the minors. We all know nobody will take on their salary. Chicago is virtually punishing their players for having poor management, and a franchise that is filled with incompetence.... I'm sure improperly treating players will go a long way for the future of the Chicago Blackhawk's club. I smell another 50 year cup drought coming if they continue to employ these shameless tactics. It just proves that the Blackhawks club, as a whole, is a poorly managed franchise.

Edited by Heaten

Now, explain the scenario that sees Huet's 5.5M and Campbell's 7.5M and NTC getting moved. Do you really think Campbell will play in the AHL?

Campbell has a NTC. No Trade Clause. He doesn't have a NMC, or No Movement Clause. BIG difference. He would being waived and sent to the minors or picked up by another NHL team. He has no say in that.

Huet would be the same scenario, without the NTC.

It's not really that hard to comprehend.

Campbell has a NTC. No Trade Clause. He doesn't have a NMC, or No Movement Clause. BIG difference. He would being waived and sent to the minors or picked up by another NHL team. He has no say in that.

Huet would be the same scenario, without the NTC.

It's not really that hard to comprehend.

It's not hard to comprehend for sure. But tell me, who is going to take those contracts? Someone would probably take Campbell on re-entry waivers for 3.75M. Leaving the Hawks on the line for 3.75M. I'd say it's a stretch to assume anyone would take Huet at 2.75M on re-entry waivers. Either way, did you account for this 6.5M cap hit in your capgeek calculation?

There's no way Campbell plays in the AHL in my opinion. Huet maybe.

Regardless, you can't just waive a magic wand and make that 13M disappear. Cold reality for the Hawks.

I hope Chicago does take the unethical and immoral rout by screwing over Huet and Campbell by waiving them, and sending them down to the minors. We all know nobody will take on their salary. Chicago is virtually punishing their players for having poor management, and a franchise that is filled with incompetence.... I'm sure improperly treating players will go a long way for the future of the Chicago Blackhawk's club. I smell another 50 year cup drought coming if they continue to employ these shameless tactics. It just proves that the Blackhawks club, as a whole, is a poorly managed franchise.

This!