• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
king_malice

RFA stealings...

Rate this topic

On my drive home tonight i heard that the Hawks might be losing Niemi this off-season, they said it could be the Sharks letting Nabokov go and offering Niemi big bucks and the Hawks wont be able to match. Has anyone else heard this or any other RFA news

Because, you know, the Sharks are going to pay an unproven sophomore a huge contract that would cost them a bunch of picks instead of paying a comparable of smaller one to their star goalie, or going out and getting a decent veteran and shoring up their skaters.

Unless they are trading for Niemi and taking Campbell as punishment, it is not happening.

Edited by eva unit zero

Because, you know, the Sharks are going to pay an unproven sophomore a huge contract that would cost them a bunch of picks instead of paying a comparable of smaller one to their star goalie, or going out and getting a decent veteran and shoring up their skaters.

Unless they are trading for Niemi and taking Campbell as punishment, it is not happening.

Niemi is unproven ? didnt they just win the Cup ? he played great for them all playoffs, and i dont think its going to take much the Hawks have barely any cap space now they themselves would have to make room and trades just to keep Niemi

Niemi is unproven ? didnt they just win the Cup ? he played great for them all playoffs, and i dont think its going to take much the Hawks have barely any cap space now they themselves would have to make room and trades just to keep Niemi

They have to make some trades no matter what, and a team would have to be stupid to offer Niemi so much that the Hawks wouldn't match, like over $4 mil. Cup notwithstanding, it'd be risky to pay that much for Niemi even without giving up a 1st and a 3rd round pick (or more).

They have to make some trades no matter what, and a team would have to be stupid to offer Niemi so much that the Hawks wouldn't match, like over $4 mil. Cup notwithstanding, it'd be risky to pay that much for Niemi even without giving up a 1st and a 3rd round pick (or more).

Niemi is a great goalie but i do agree that paying 4+mill for any goalie is crazy theres not to many that deserve that kind of money, i would much rather see the Hawks lose guys like Sharp and Versteeg and maybe Burish over Niemi

He was barely a starter last season and had SOME good playoff games. He also had some reeeaally bad ones including multiple 5GA games.

Nabakov is easily the better the goalie of the two. While I think it might be true that Niemi gets better offers than Chicago, I really doubt a team with one of the best goalies in the league is going sell the farm to get a flavor of the month.

Winning a Championship is definitely a mark in the "good" column. But his consistency is yet to be proven, remember.

I'm not so sure I buy this rumor, though I do believe Nabokov is done in SJ.

He was barely a starter last season and had SOME good playoff games. He also had some reeeaally bad ones including multiple 5GA games.

Nabakov is easily the better the goalie of the two. While I think it might be true that Niemi gets better offers than Chicago, I really doubt a team with one of the best goalies in the league is going sell the farm to get a flavor of the month.

Im not saying Nabokov isnt the better goalie im just saying i heard tonight that was what they said and alot of people are saying Sharks might not re-sign Nabokov, the problem with that team is not the forwards or the goalie they have very poor D and thats where they should be spending money in my opinion.

Niemi didn't look all that great in the finals. He was barely better than Leighton, who was terrible and played like the 5th string goalie he was. Niemi is not a bad goalie, don't misunderstand me. But he has played one season. Follow my point a little further. Steve Mason was nominated for the Vezina and stole the Calder based on a ton of hype, even though there were nearly a dozen goalies who had better season, including rookie Pekka Rinne. Mason was one of the league's worst starters this past year. There are no guarantees that Niemi isn't another Mason. Or Raycroft. Or any other of the number of goalies who has a great rookie season and then turns into a mediocre backup. Jim Carey had two great years, played a couple more decent seasons as a starter and then a backup and then retired. Niemi, Howard, Mason, Rask, Halak, Varlamov, Rinne? None of them are guarantees.

If San Jose tries to steal Niemi on an offer sheet that will force Chicago's hand, it will be one so high the Hawks would be stupid to match regardless of their cap situation.

And winning the Cup doesn't make a proven goalie if you have only played part of one season. Niemi could still be a complete bust.

Niemi didn't look all that great in the finals. He was barely better than Leighton, who was terrible and played like the 5th string goalie he was. Niemi is not a bad goalie, don't misunderstand me. But he has played one season. Follow my point a little further. Steve Mason was nominated for the Vezina and stole the Calder based on a ton of hype, even though there were nearly a dozen goalies who had better season, including rookie Pekka Rinne. Mason was one of the league's worst starters this past year. There are no guarantees that Niemi isn't another Mason. Or Raycroft. Or any other of the number of goalies who has a great rookie season and then turns into a mediocre backup. Jim Carey had two great years, played a couple more decent seasons as a starter and then a backup and then retired. Niemi, Howard, Mason, Rask, Halak, Varlamov, Rinne? None of them are guarantees.

If San Jose tries to steal Niemi on an offer sheet that will force Chicago's hand, it will be one so high the Hawks would be stupid to match regardless of their cap situation.

And winning the Cup doesn't make a proven goalie if you have only played part of one season. Niemi could still be a complete bust.

If I were the sharks I would rather have a young, unproven guy that just won a championship, then a guy who has played with them for years and continually "proven" he is a playoff choke artist.

If I were the sharks I would rather have a young, unproven guy that just won a championship, then a guy who has played with them for years and continually "proven" he is a playoff choke artist.

If it was a forward or defenceman then sure but a goaltender... Nah. Not that I would be happy with Nabokov but going with a guy who's only played one season is very risky.

Maybe it will just drive up what Chicago has to pay for Niemi and make the cap that much harder for the Hawks to manage. That would be my hope that he gets low enough offers that the Hawks have to match them but high enough that they have to slightly overpay. :hehe:

Do you think Montreal would rather have Niemi than Carey Price?

Niemi was pretty bad in the SCF. Overall he was maybe a little above average for the playoffs (.910 save percentage), but he did steal a few games.

Still though, he feels like an average goalie, and if if it comes down to him or Hjalmarsson/Sharp, it would be better to let Niemi go.

Also Niemi's agent has been making it sound like Niemi might not want to stay hear and talking about how he doesn't like all the attention. Could be posturing, but it didn't seem like it.

Niemi is a proven rebound machine. ;)

Bob McKenzie: "Hawks cap situation is believed to be so tight that they can't make qualifying offer to Andrew Ladd and therefore are shopping him hard. Vancouver is one of the teams said be most interested, which of course is funny. Ladd is a B.C. boy but had a running battle with Kesler etc. NOT saying it's a foregone conclusion Ladd ends up in VanCity, but it's possible. He will be on the move tho."

Sidenote: Used normal quotes instead of the other ones because I'm on the mobile version.

I thought the rumor at the beginning of the playoffs was that if the Sharks don't win it all that Nabokov would be out and they would look toward Marty Turco as a replacement.