• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
newfy

Zenon Konopka

Rate this topic

Where did that quote come from? And how old is it? Because thats pretty damn good news to me. If he does want to sign a free agent enforcer, Konopka should be the guy. He'll be cheap, and provides some elements this team could use. Good on faceoffs, good defensively and the most active fighter in the NHL.

This offseason we have a choice between the most active fighter in the league or the scariest and toughest. Konopka or Boogard... I would rather Konopka.

this article I believe was posted today according to the date of it but holland said this yesterday.

Even though in the other thread I said I would waste a roster spot on boogaard, I would also rather have knopka as he can play more than a boogaard can because of his defense and faceoffs.

Either way, depending on what happens with the RFA's I believe will dictate weather we have an enforcer or not.

I didn't say what it reads. I said what it sounds like. That quote is new and when you look at the older ones, those had him basically saying that he's going after some guy like that. Now he only says that he WOULD like to get one, but "if it's not there, it's not there".

I'd easily take Konopka if he is like some you've said. I seriously don't see a guy like Boogaard a fit here. You need to do more than just fight out there.

He just saying that though, there is a list of about 20 guys I've seen in thread here that would be available that could fill the enforcer role. Im sure at least one of those guys will be available for the wings. :)

Edit: I 100% garuntee an enforcer will be available for the wings. It's a matter of if holland has the balls to sign one or not.

Edited by redwingfan19

this article I believe was posted today according to the date of it but holland said this yesterday.

Even though in the other thread I said I would waste a roster spot on boogaard, I would also rather have knopka as he can play more than a boogaard can because of his defense and faceoffs.

Either way, depending on what happens with the RFA's I believe will dictate weather we have an enforcer or not.

He just saying that though, there is a list of about 20 guys I've seen in thread here that would be available that could fill the enforcer role. Im sure at least one of those guys will be available for the wings. :)

Edit: I 100% garuntee an enforcer will be available for the wings. It's a matter of if holland has the balls to sign one or not.

This right here is exactly true. This year is one of the better free agent groups in a while available to sign some toughness.

Holland could make a run at guys like Nystrom, Burish, Asham and other guys like that.

Or if he wants a heavyweight type theres guys like Konopka, Boogard, Boulton etc.

He says in a cap world its not a necessity or whatever, but these type of players are usually the cheapest in the league. Konopka could probably be had for about 800k. Drop Miller, Sign Konopka and we're set.

:siren: DING DING DING!!!! :siren:

EDIT: haha I had to edit a 3 word post. Damn lamps...

It sounds great to me. Replace Miller, a guy who doesn't hit or do anything physical at all for someone like Konopka on the 4th line. Abdelkader is going to be up next season anyways so he can play the PK in place of Miller. Babcock already said he is going to be a penalty killer next season from the get go.

Konopka is still relatively young too, 29 I think, so we would have a guy for the next few seasons at at least instead of going season by season signing an old washed up player.

I'm sorry, what's the subject again? I don't think you even know what you're talking about.

Well that's a surprise! All you basically do here is agree with what other people say without ever saying anything useful yourself.

I'm talking about players reaching their potential or, in effect, getting better after age 28. But since you said that the body starts to decline "after age 33", your statement was even more idiotic. Don't resort to personal attacks just because you make moronic statements. I bet a fraction of a percent of all athletes (unless they are performance enhanced) set any kind of personal bests after they reach their early 30's. Don't think so much when you are obviously ill equipped.

I'm talking about players reaching their potential or, in effect, getting better after age 28. But since you said that the body starts to decline "after age 33", your statement was even more idiotic. Don't resort to personal attacks just because you make moronic statements. I bet a fraction of a percent of all athletes (unless they are performance enhanced) set any kind of personal bests after they reach their early 30's. Don't think so much when you are obviously ill equipped.

I was talking about players having still potential after 28 being possible. You don't agree with that?

Where did I say like that? Maybe you should read my posts again - if you even did so in the first place. The other guy here said that players body starts to decline "shortly after" 30. I said it's closer to 35 than 30.

:D sorry...it was out there.

I only respond in that fashion when provoked.

I was talking about players having still potential after 28 being possible. You don't agree with that?

Where did I say like that? Maybe you should read my posts again - if you even did so in the first place. The other guy here said that players body starts to decline "shortly after" 30. I said it's closer to 35 than 30.

Closer to 35? Ahh, I see, in Finland that logically makes you more correct than "shortly after 30". Thanks for the clarification Einstein.

I only respond in that fashion when provoked.

Closer to 35? Ahh, I see, in Finland that logically makes you more correct than "shortly after 30". Thanks for the clarification Einstein.

Closer to 35 could be 37 for example. SHORTLY after 30 is more like 31 or 32. What are you even trying to say here? According to you I said players start to decline after 33 which I never did. Now you're trying to correct your mistake by talking about my home country? Seriously...

Closer to 35 could be 37 for example. SHORTLY after 30 is more like 31 or 32. What are you even trying to say here? According to you I said players start to decline after 33 which I never did. Now you're trying to correct your mistake by talking about my home country? Seriously...

Any you're trying to argue semantics (I'll define that if you like). Whether it's 33, 35 or 37, what does it really matter? If you think more than a small handful of athletes have ever realized their potential in any sport at that age, I'll have some of what you're smoking. I'd have to think you're in a very small minority with that mindset. SERIOUSLY!!!

Any you're trying to argue semantics (I'll define that if you like). Whether it's 33, 35 or 37, what does it really matter? If you think more than a small handful of athletes have ever realized their potential in any sport at that age, I'll have some of what you're smoking. I'd have to think you're in a very small minority with that mindset. SERIOUSLY!!!

Hahha. Way to turn it around. Now you're speaking about potential again. CAN YOU READ? We were talking about when players start to decline. No, it doesn't matter to me. But I can definitely say it's later than "shortly after 30" in today's hockey.

Learn to read and come back after that. I said players can still have potential at the age of 28. I NEVER said anything like players still having potential at the age of 33. That's a HUGE difference.

Where do these guys come from?

Hahha. Way to turn it around. Now you're speaking about potential again. CAN YOU READ? We were talking about when players start to decline. No, it doesn't matter to me. But I can definitely say it's later than "shortly after 30" in today's hockey.

Learn to read and come back after that. I said players can still have potential at the age of 28. I NEVER said anything like players still having potential at the age of 33. That's a HUGE difference.

Where do these guys come from?

Your statement: "About that body declining. I wouldn't say it's shortly after 30 when player's body starts to decline. I'd say it's closer to 35 than 30. In fact I don't know any player who at age of 33 for example have started to decline." If you really believe this, you're an imbicile. Look at the statistics, they don't lie. A huge majority players have started their decline before the age of 33. Just admit you got caught talking out of your ass and go on your way.

I'd love a fighter on the team but not Konopka. He has a big mouth and plays a little dirty. When that happens and he pisses off the other team, who is going to pay for it? Konopka can only fend off so much. The Wings need a good honest player to fill that role like a Asham or Moen type, not a Konopka who doesn't add much else besides fighting and like I said he adds more aggression from the other team then he fends off.

I don't want him but I hope he stays in the league with a team where he can ride shotgun.

I'd love a fighter on the team but not Konopka. He has a big mouth and plays a little dirty. When that happens and he pisses off the other team, who is going to pay for it? Konopka can only fend off so much. The Wings need a good honest player to fill that role like a Asham or Moen type, not a Konopka who doesn't add much else besides fighting and like I said he adds more aggression from the other team then he fends off.

I don't want him but I hope he stays in the league with a team where he can ride shotgun.

Konopka showed last year he can fend off the most in the NHL out of anyone with 33 fights. If he plays a little dirty and has the other team off their game then I think he is even more valuable. He's a pretty average 4th line guy.

We'll have Abdelkader next year who can fight, Ericcson and possibly a tough number 6 defenseman or Janik in the line up fairly often. That is a team that can handle itself.

Konopka showed last year he can fend off the most in the NHL out of anyone with 33 fights. If he plays a little dirty and has the other team off their game then I think he is even more valuable. He's a pretty average 4th line guy.

We'll have Abdelkader next year who can fight, Ericcson and possibly a tough number 6 defenseman or Janik in the line up fairly often. That is a team that can handle itself.

You think when Konopka elbows Legwand in the head and puts him out for the game Belak & Tootoo are going to be offering Ericcson or Abdelkader a chance to stand up? No there going to take off Franzen's head and there isn't a single thing Abdelkader or Ericcson could do as they aren't even fighters. 2-3 fights a season doesn't make you a fighter even in this pansy league.

Who did Konopka fight last year to say he could fend for himself? A bunch of middleweights in a division that consisted of:

Washington: Matt Bradley

Florida: Greg Campbell

Atlanta: Eric Boulton

Carolina: Tim Conboy

yeah he sure needed to fend for himself in that tough division. <_<

Now he comes into this division playing that way and there are players who are going to eat the weak ass Wings alive like Boll, Sestito, Eager, Burish, Tootoo, Crombeen and on and on who can play much dirtier then Konopka because they can actually skate good enough to injure players when they want.

Basically the Wings are getting by just fine having honest tough guys like May & Downey who aren't going to get there stick up or elbow up. The Wings have done a great job of not waking the sleeping bear in this division and Konopka will wake him and the Wings players will pay for it and I'm not talking about the 4th liners or 7th d-men. All the guys I mentioned hit much harder then Konopka and most of which could do a number on him with the gloves off at that.

Holland isn't dumb enough to try and sign a guy like Konopka, end of story we can argue this for the next 60 years but fact is Holland knows what he is doing and he isn't getting a dirty pest unless its a guy like Cooke who can play great hockey to go with starting s***. Regardless you need a tough guy to play with the pests, especially in a much more physical westcoast then TB would need in the weakest division in the league.

If he wants a tough grinder he is getting Asham not Konopka.

Edited by chrisyo

You think when Konopka elbows Legwand in the head and puts him out for the game Belak & Tootoo are going to be offering Ericcson or Abdelkader a chance to stand up? No there going to take off Franzen's head and there isn't a single thing Abdelkader or Ericcson could do as they aren't even fighters. 2-3 fights a season doesn't make you a fighter even in this pansy league.

Who did Konopka fight last year to say he could fend for himself? A bunch of middleweights in a division that consisted of:

Washington: Matt Bradley

Florida: Greg Campbell

Atlanta: Eric Boulton

Carolina: Tim Conboy

yeah he sure needed to fend for himself in that tough division. <_<

Now he comes into this division playing that way and there are players who are going to eat the weak ass Wings alive like Boll, Sestito, Eager, Burish, Tootoo, Crombeen and on and on who can play much dirtier then Konopka because they can actually skate good enough to injure players when they want.

Basically the Wings are getting by just fine having honest tough guys like May & Downey who aren't going to get there stick up or elbow up. The Wings have done a great job of not waking the sleeping bear in this division and Konopka will wake him and the Wings players will pay for it and I'm not talking about the 4th liners or 7th d-men. All the guys I mentioned hit much harder then Konopka and most of which could do a number on him with the gloves off at that.

Holland isn't dumb enough to try and sign a guy like Konopka, end of story we can argue this for the next 60 years but fact is Holland knows what he is doing and he isn't getting a dirty pest unless its a guy like Cooke who can play great hockey to go with starting s***. Regardless you need a tough guy to play with the pests, especially in a much more physical westcoast then TB would need in the weakest division in the league.

If he wants a tough grinder he is getting Asham not Konopka.

Well if you look at who he fought last year, Boris Valabik 6'7

Ivanans 6'4 250 pounds, Ben Eager, Big Troy Bodie, Chris Neil, PL3 who is a tough customer and your middleweights like you said such as Asham.

To say he will signh onest tough guys but then sign May last year who was a dirty bastard in his hey day is pretty stupid.

Well if you look at who he fought last year, Boris Valabik 6'7

Ivanans 6'4 250 pounds, Ben Eager, Big Troy Bodie, Chris Neil, PL3 who is a tough customer and your middleweights like you said such as Asham.

To say he will signh onest tough guys but then sign May last year who was a dirty bastard in his hey day is pretty stupid.

Oh yeah because May was all over the ice throwing cheap shots on players last year. May was dirty when he had guys like Rob Ray, Jim McKenzie, Donald Brashear etc. he knew his team could fend for themselves. He even played a chippy game with the Ducks when they had a tough team, then he was traded to Toronto who didn't have any toughness and wasn't very chippy, then signed with the Wings and again wasn't dirty. May is a veteran who knows what he is doing. Konopka is a hot head who wasn't even a tough guy until Jon Mirasty was bailing his ass out back in Syracuse. He realized that was how he was going to make the NHL. He wouldn't have lived long if he was playing out in the Atlantic division with the likes of Godard, Shelley, Cote, Peters, PL3 wanting to kick his ass night in and night out.

You can waste my time all you want but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Konopka is a crappy player and should be rideing shotgun to Boogaard in Tampa next year. Not playing tough guy for the Wings.

Tampa had Walker, Fedoruk, Malone, Downie, Veilleux & even Ohlund who could all fend for themselves a s*** ton more then anyone on the Wings can. You really think Konopka is going to be able to get away with s*** without having that many guys on the team?

This is what happens when you have Konopka on your team:

Konopka took advantage of Chris Phillips earlier in the game then wouldn't fight Chris Neil & Carkner and Carkner took it out on Downie...then as soon as that happens Konopka wants to be the tough guy and act like he is going after Carkner. The same game it was Matt Walker defending Konopka's actions earlier by fighting Neil.

Neil takes out Hedman hard because Konopka and Downie are running around...which is something that will happen to the Wings a lot with a guy like Konopka running around.

Also Brashear was pissed about Konopka jumping Brian Boyle and flattened Stampkos extremely late then beat up on Walker who wouldn't fight him...again thanks to Konopka.

I'm sure I could find more cases of how bad things could turn out for the Wings with a guy like this but I will save what little time I get from you. Bottom line is that was a pretty team tough Tampa Bay team that Konopka was leading...they still got manhandled because of Konopka's actions what do you think is going to happen with a team like Detroit that half the team has never had a fighting major? There going to get beat up on like a bad habit.

It's not a insult to the Wings players, there are guys who are signed to fill the role of tough guys and Holland hasn't been filling that roll besides maybe 1 roster spot a season if Wings fans are lucky.

It's also not a insult to Konopka. I love the way he plays, but he is going to do more harm for the Wings then actually "enforce" for them unless he tones down his play. Konopka needs to play on a tough team with his style and the Wings isn't that tough team.

Oh yeah because May was all over the ice throwing cheap shots on players last year. May was dirty when he had guys like Rob Ray, Jim McKenzie, Donald Brashear etc. he knew his team could fend for themselves. He even played a chippy game with the Ducks when they had a tough team, then he was traded to Toronto who didn't have any toughness and wasn't very chippy, then signed with the Wings and again wasn't dirty. May is a veteran who knows what he is doing. Konopka is a hot head who wasn't even a tough guy until Jon Mirasty was bailing his ass out back in Syracuse. He realized that was how he was going to make the NHL. He wouldn't have lived long if he was playing out in the Atlantic division with the likes of Godard, Shelley, Cote, Peters, PL3 wanting to kick his ass night in and night out.

You can waste my time all you want but it doesn't change the fact that it's true. Konopka is a crappy player and should be rideing shotgun to Boogaard in Tampa next year. Not playing tough guy for the Wings.

Tampa had Walker, Fedoruk, Malone, Downie, Veilleux & even Ohlund who could all fend for themselves a s*** ton more then anyone on the Wings can. You really think Konopka is going to be able to get away with s*** without having that many guys on the team?

This is what happens when you have Konopka on your team:

Konopka took advantage of Chris Phillips earlier in the game then wouldn't fight Chris Neil & Carkner and Carkner took it out on Downie...then as soon as that happens Konopka wants to be the tough guy and act like he is going after Carkner. The same game it was Matt Walker defending Konopka's actions earlier by fighting Neil.

Neil takes out Hedman hard because Konopka and Downie are running around...which is something that will happen to the Wings a lot with a guy like Konopka running around.

Also Brashear was pissed about Konopka jumping Brian Boyle and flattened Stampkos extremely late then beat up on Walker who wouldn't fight him...again thanks to Konopka.

I'm sure I could find more cases of how bad things could turn out for the Wings with a guy like this but I will save what little time I get from you. Bottom line is that was a pretty team tough Tampa Bay team that Konopka was leading...they still got manhandled because of Konopka's actions what do you think is going to happen with a team like Detroit that half the team has never had a fighting major? There going to get beat up on like a bad habit.

It's not a insult to the Wings players, there are guys who are signed to fill the role of tough guys and Holland hasn't been filling that roll besides maybe 1 roster spot a season if Wings fans are lucky.

It's also not a insult to Konopka. I love the way he plays, but he is going to do more harm for the Wings then actually "enforce" for them unless he tones down his play. Konopka needs to play on a tough team with his style and the Wings isn't that tough team.

None of those videos proved anything. Basically what I got from that was that Konopka is fast enough to beat Kelly in on the forecheck and that Downie is a good teammate that stuck up for the young defenseman.

Youre saying Konopka running around made Neil start running around but thats complete bull s***. If Neil gets the chance to make that hit he makes it every single time, its the way he plays.

As for Brashear being pissed at Konopka then smoking Stamkkos, If we sign an enforcer that doesn't jump Boyle in that situation then we are wasting our money. Boyle complete cross check from behind and got what is coming to him. Once again, Brashear is going to make hits like that regardless of if the wings are dressing an enforcer.

Your statement: "About that body declining. I wouldn't say it's shortly after 30 when player's body starts to decline. I'd say it's closer to 35 than 30. In fact I don't know any player who at age of 33 for example have started to decline." If you really believe this, you're an imbicile. Look at the statistics, they don't lie. A huge majority players have started their decline before the age of 33. Just admit you got caught talking out of your ass and go on your way.

Your body doesn't start declining. You may have had injuries like I said. Injuries are injuries. Yeah, I admit players stats have declined after 33. What is your take in this whole conversation by the way? Can't you just drop it already?

Your body doesn't start declining. You may have had injuries like I said. Injuries are injuries. Yeah, I admit players stats have declined after 33. What is your take in this whole conversation by the way? Can't you just drop it already?

I'm trying to stick out of this argument but I will say this, at 33 an average guys body might not be declining. But as a pro athlete your body is very much on the downturna round the age 33.

It was thrown out there in the middle of all this, but Abby will not only fight 2-3 times next year. He is not an enforcer by any means but put it in the bank, Babs wants him dropping them waayyyy more. Captain Obvious has entered the forums!! ;)

Edited by HankthaTank

It was thrown out there in the middle of all this, but Abby will not fight 2-3 times next year. Put it in the bank, Babs wants him dropping them waayyyy more. Captain Obvious has entered the forums!! ;)

if he is anything like when he got sent down to GR I expect 10 fights minimum out of abby this year :)

Hopefully he ditches the shield and works on his technique this summer and gets stronger to use his 6'2 215 lbs frame

Hopefully he ditches the shield and works on his technique this summer and gets stronger to use his 6'2 215 lbs frame

ABsolutely! Yeah, that was corny... But for sure ditch the shield and don't throw blind punches spinning in circles and still find a way to run into the boards!! He is a hot mess on the ice sometimes but he is already a huge fan favorite so hopefully he gets that tech down.