• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
titanium2

Do Wings fans want another Yzerman?

Rate this topic

Man my original post reminded me of those minority of Wings fans who somehow find a way to dislike everything Yzerman does.

Anybody ever seen those blogs? They make claims like "Yzerman was selfish for taking that shot on Jon Casey during Game 7 because it could've hit the glass and turned into an odd man rush the other way." It's like get the f*** outta here, man...

Anyone claiming that is seriously on crack...Yzerman would have been as likely as anyone on the Blues to pick up that puck had it hit the glass, and the rest of the Wings team was just crossing the red line.

You could have just asked whether we should tank and build up again versus keeping a constant winning pace. That way you could have kept all of our Yzerman emotions out of it. And no, we don't need to tank and rebuild. Yzerman was great because he was able to do what was asked of him when we needed it most, but we don't need to ask any of our players to do the same right now. We're far from a team that can make early draft selections and bring a franchise player like Ovechkin in. Now we're a team that carefully drafts and keeps the good players rolling in by whatever wily means necessary and I'm okay with that. I like having strong playoff runs each year, I like winning, and I like our players.

Apparently Boston fans are in for one.

Seguin wants to take after Yzerman

WILMINGTON, Mass. -- When Tyler Seguin was presented with the chance to choose the number he will wear with the Bruins, he immediately chose the digits his idol, Hall of Famer and current Tampa Bay general manager Steve Yzerman wore during his legendary career with the Detroit Red Wings. Many have compared Seguin’s game to that of Stevie Y. The 18 year-old Seguin, who was selected by the Bruins with the second overall pick at the 2010 NHL draft, is trying to approach the NHL the same way Yzerman did when he cracked the Red Wings lineup as a rookie in the 1983-84 season.

“When he came into the NHL, he was fourth overall and he was a good player and had lots of skill,” Seguin said of Yzerman. “But really being a centerman, he had to stop cheating offensively, support his wingers and grow and mature. These last two seasons in the OHL, I’ve tried to do that. I thought he was a great leader on the ice but also a professional off the ice as well. He was a true legend and leader of the game and I admire him for that.”

Just as Yzerman was, Seguin seems more concerned about improving as a player than becoming an instant star. When asked at the Bruins development camp Tuesday whether he, his agent Ian Pulver and the Bruins were closing in on a new contract, Seguin didn’t seem too fazed even a day after the player that was drafted a pick ahead of him at No. 1, Taylor Hall, signed his entry level deal with the Oilers...

per ESPN