• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Armchair GM for the WIngs - Whats your ideal roster?

Rate this topic

2010-11 NHL SALARY CAP CALCULATOR

2010-11 DETROIT RED WINGS

CAPGEEK.COM CAP CALCULATOR

FORWARDS

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Jiri Hudler ($2.875m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / * mike modano ($1.250m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m)

* Arron Asham ($0.650m) / * Darren Helm ($0.800m) / * Justin Abdelkader ($0.900m)

* Drew Miller ($0.750m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

DEFENSEMEN

Brian Rafalski ($6.000m) / Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

* Derek Meech ($0.700m)

GOALTENDERS

Jimmy Howard ($0.717m) / Chris Osgood ($1.417m)

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.725m; CAP ROOM: $0.675m BONUSES: $0.000m

Kenny said he wanted a Dallas Drake like player, well I have the wings signing Arron Asham and Mike Modano. I feel like those 2 guys will have the effect that Drake did. Asham(sandpaper) Modano(veteran who wants to go out on top). I chose to give the Wings enough cap room to be able to bring guys up for injuries instead of getting another defenseman. if it comes to it meech could always be traded for someone better

FORWARDS

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Johan Franzen ($3.955m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m)

Daniel Cleary ($2.800m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / * Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

* Justin Abdelkader ($0.950m) / * Darren Helm ($0.950m) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)

DEFENSEMEN

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / * Johnny Boychuk ($2.000m)

Brad Stuart ($3.750m) / Brian Rafalski ($6.000m)

Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

GOALTENDERS

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

(these totals are compiled using the bonus cushion)

ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.842m; CAP ROOM: $0.558m BONUSES: $0.000m

Maybe not much chance of stealing Boychuk now, but Boston does have some cap work to do, so you never know. I'm also liking Nick Boynton as a probably more realistic and cheaper option. I think another right-shot defenseman would be nice to have.

In my dreams, I would also replace Bert with Nystrom and Asham.

I live in Toronto so I've had a chance to watch both Coliacovo and Exelby play...obviously COliacovo has since moved on but I don't understand the love for these two guys. THey are both overrated and trust me, within a month of them being here everyone would snap. THey turn the puck over constantly. If you think Ericsson was a turnover machine last year you'd be blown away at what these guys would do.

Franzen-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Filppula-Zetterberg-Hudler

Cleary-Helm-Bertuzzi

Boll-Abdelkader-McGrattan

-Draper/Eaves

Lidstrom-Rafalski

Stuart-Kronwall

Ericsson-O'Donnell

Kindl

Janik

O'Donnell signs for a mil

Eaves for 700 K

Abdelkader for 700 K

Helm for 700 K

McGrattan for 500 K

Boll for 550 K

Bury Ritola in the minors

Rules be scuppered; I like the sound of this. (Don't know much about O'Donnell, though.)

Rules be scuppered; I like the sound of this. (Don't know much about O'Donnell, though.)

Not only the rules of this thread, but the rules of the NHL too, huh? You can only carry 23 players on a roster... also, Ritola is already signed and not waiver exempt, so you can't cut him out either... if he wants to make the argument of add Boll and O'Donnell, I can accept it (there's others I'd prefer) because at least it's feasible...

I live in Toronto so I've had a chance to watch both Coliacovo and Exelby play...obviously COliacovo has since moved on but I don't understand the love for these two guys. THey are both overrated and trust me, within a month of them being here everyone would snap. THey turn the puck over constantly. If you think Ericsson was a turnover machine last year you'd be blown away at what these guys would do.

They were also both playing on horrendous Toronto teams... I don't think anyone here is saying they're good top 2 guys, but for the bottom pairing as a #6 d-man, I think either one of them could be a good addition to our roster... I'm still holding onto some glimmer of hope of getting Boychuk though...

Not only the rules of this thread, but the rules of the NHL too, huh? You can only carry 23 players on a roster... also, Ritola is already signed and not waiver exempt, so you can't cut him out either... if he wants to make the argument of add Boll and O'Donnell, I can accept it (there's others I'd prefer) because at least it's feasible...

They were also both playing on horrendous Toronto teams... I don't think anyone here is saying they're good top 2 guys, but for the bottom pairing as a #6 d-man, I think either one of them could be a good addition to our roster... I'm still holding onto some glimmer of hope of getting Boychuk though...

I'll conceed that potentially COliacovo has evolved a little bit but hoenstly, watching Exelby play in the bottom pair in Toronto was a nightmare. When he took the body it was good but honestly, it was pretty rare. This guy turned the puck over constantly when there was zero pressure on him. Despite playing for a s*** team like the Leafs he could barely stay in the line up. Not to mention he was overpaid. Honestly, I can't tell you how painful as a fan of hockey it was to watch this guy struggle as badly as he did. It was like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly

No, I realize there are more problems with this than just the thread rules. I guess the part that I really agree with is that adding two tougher guys to the fourth line would legitimately help the Wings; however, that's not even feasible, as you point out, at least until next year when we have more players rolling off contracts. Ritola, it seems to me either needs to have a complete shot to prove himself, or be traded; and I honestly don't know enough about him to say which is appropriate.

As to realistic outlook: do you think it would be enough if we kept the forwards we have, and added a good D-man? Be it Boychuk, O'Donnell, Exelby, whoever; assuming that happened and the rest of our defense corps stepped up to make a really solid unit all year, could the Wings make a cup run on that? (This isn't rhetorical, I really am curious.)

I'll conceed that potentially COliacovo has evolved a little bit but hoenstly, watching Exelby play in the bottom pair in Toronto was a nightmare. When he took the body it was good but honestly, it was pretty rare. This guy turned the puck over constantly when there was zero pressure on him. Despite playing for a s*** team like the Leafs he could barely stay in the line up. Not to mention he was overpaid. Honestly, I can't tell you how painful as a fan of hockey it was to watch this guy struggle as badly as he did. It was like getting kicked in the nuts repeatedly

Fair enough... I'm more in the "Get Boychuk, or just re-sign Lilja" camp, but the "physical d-man" is something that has eluded us for so long, it just goes to show you the leaps we're willing to take to have one...

No, I realize there are more problems with this than just the thread rules. I guess the part that I really agree with is that adding two tougher guys to the fourth line would legitimately help the Wings; however, that's not even feasible, as you point out, at least until next year when we have more players rolling off contracts. Ritola, it seems to me either needs to have a complete shot to prove himself, or be traded; and I honestly don't know enough about him to say which is appropriate.

As to realistic outlook: do you think it would be enough if we kept the forwards we have, and added a good D-man? Be it Boychuk, O'Donnell, Exelby, whoever; assuming that happened and the rest of our defense corps stepped up to make a really solid unit all year, could the Wings make a cup run on that? (This isn't rhetorical, I really am curious.)

I honestly think our team is considerably better and capable of a long run, just by being healthy, having had an entire year to gel AND having a long off-season, so by that reasoning alone, I think the Wings are a VERY dangerous team, even without changes, but adding that physical d-man and mean 4th liner could really put us over the top, imho

Boychuk is out of the mix

yep, I saw the other thread - with that in mind, my new choices are:

(lines are arbitrary)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Justin Abdelkader ($0.920m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Brad Winchester ($0.800m) / Darren Helm ($0.630m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m) / Mattias Ritola ($0.517m)

Nicklas Lidstrom ($6.200m) / Niklas Kronwall ($3.000m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.300m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.592m; CAP ROOM: $0.808m BONUSES: $0.000m

Edited by stevkrause

yep, I saw the other thread - with that in mind, my new choices are:

(lines are arbitrary)

Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Carlo Colaiacovo ($1.300m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.592m; CAP ROOM: $0.808m BONUSES: $0.000m

Sutton doesn't sound too bad either. Brings that needed edge for sure.

bertuzzi - Z - flip

ritola - dats - franzen

cleary - huds - homer

abby - helm - eaves

drapes - burish

lids - stuart

kronwall - kindl

rafalski - ericsson

lilja

howard

ozzy

dats moulds ritola, rafalski moulds ericsson, same with kronwall and kindl.

wings take a legitimate run at the cup without erasing the potential to bring up a prospect or 2 the following season....like nyqvist or andersson. possibly smith or almqvist on D. i'm not interested in major changes to a wings team with great chemistry and depth when there's good players waiting for a spot. and i like the element of surprise with wings prospects, so i'll go with the drafted players before handing out money to FA's. wings are already in good shape. there's balance on the D lines and 3 scoring lines and a annoying 4th line to play against. roll 4 lines giving the 4th 10-12 mins per game and go into the playoffs healthy and more rested than usual.

I'd love to see Sutton here, I just don't think he's anywhere near within our price range... if he could be had for under 2m, yes, please!

Throw him something like 1.85 give or take and maybe win that coveted Lord Stanley. Or hang Ottawa (aka place where careers go to perish). Think I sold it about as good as I can. Oh and he can continue his little rivalry in Pitt after he just handed Leopold his ass. So there it is.

With recent developments over the last week (Boychuk re-signed in Boston and talks of Vandermeer being bought out in Phoenix) I need to update this now:

(lines are arbitrary)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jim Vandermeer ($1.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.792m; CAP ROOM: $0.608m BONUSES: $0.000m

With recent developments over the last week (Boychuk re-signed in Boston and talks of Vandermeer being bought out in Phoenix) I need to update this now:

(lines are arbitrary)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Jim Vandermeer ($1.500m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.4m; PAYROLL: $58.792m; CAP ROOM: $0.608m BONUSES: $0.000m

+1, with Vandermeer being bought out, we could afford to sign him to a cheaper salary without asking him to sacrifice his livelihood, and he would be the perfect replacement for Lilja, plays a similar style but without the threat of aggravating a severe concussion looming over his head (no pun intended).

I still like Artyukhin as the bottom 6 addition for the same price, but that's just me, I would be perfectly fine with Winchester, Asham, Nystrom, any of aforementioned.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

Forwards:

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen

Hudler-Filppula-Afinogenov

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

-Ritola/Draper/I.Filppula/Miller

Defenseman:

Rafalski-Lidstrom

Stuart-Kronwall

Kindl-Ericsson

Goalies:

Howard

Osgood

This roster assumes that Afinogenov signs in the neighborhood of 2.5 million and the RFA's each resign for less than 800k. Very unlikely scenario, but that would be awesome to see.

The most realistic roster for next year will be:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Hudler

Eaves-Abdelkader-Miller

-Draper/Ritola

Forwards:

Bertuzzi-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Cleary-Zetterberg-Franzen

Hudler-Filppula-Afinogenov

Eaves-Abdelkader-Helm

-Ritola/Draper/I.Filppula/Miller

Defenseman:

Rafalski-Lidstrom

Stuart-Kronwall

Kindl-Ericsson

Goalies:

Howard

Osgood

This roster assumes that Afinogenov signs in the neighborhood of 2.5 million and the RFA's each resign for less than 800k. Very unlikely scenario, but that would be awesome to see.

The most realistic roster for next year will be:

Zetterberg-Datsyuk-Holmstrom

Franzen-Filppula-Bertuzzi

Cleary-Helm-Hudler

Eaves-Abdelkader-Miller

-Draper/Ritola

No thank you. Tired of the little guys that get pushed around.

Asham please.

As the off-season continues to carry on and with the new additions to the possibility of adding Modano, there are now 2 line-ups I'd like -

1. With Modano

(trades must be made to clear up roster spots)

- Drew Miller to CBJ for Jared Boll (you could argue this either way, so maybe a pick either way as needed - I still think it's a straight up deal)

- Derek Meech and Mattias Ritola and MAYBE a pick or prospect as well to Boston for Mark Stuart (this gives Boston some MUCH needed cap relief and fills out roster spots on the cheap for a capped out Boston team, plus Ritola is still a VERY good prospect and NHL ready)

- Mike Modano signed via FA

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Mike Modano ($1.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

Jared Boll ($0.850m)

Kris Draper ($1.583m)

Mark Stuart ($1.675m) / Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

ROSTER: 22; CAP:$59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $0.050m;

PAYROLL: $58.975m; CAP ROOM: $0.300m; BONUSES: $0.000m

2. Without Modano

(lines are arbitrary)

Henrik Zetterberg ($6.083m) / Pavel Datsyuk ($6.700m) / Tomas Holmstrom ($1.875m)

Jiri Hudler ($2.875m) / Valtteri Filppula ($3.000m) / Johan Franzen ($3.955m)

Todd Bertuzzi ($1.938m) / Justin Abdelkader ($1.000m) / Daniel Cleary ($2.800m)

Mattias Ritola ($0.517m) / Darren Helm ($1.000m) / Patrick Eaves ($0.750m)

Todd Fedoruk ($0.900m)/Jared Boll(using trade scenarios) / Kris Draper ($1.583m)

Jonathan Ericsson ($0.900m) / Shane Hnidy ($0.900m)

Jakub Kindl ($0.883m)

ROSTER: 23; CAP:$59.4m; CARRY-OVER PENALTY: $0.050m;

PAYROLL: $58.792m; CAP ROOM: $0.608m; BONUSES: $0.000m

Edited by stevkrause

Sign the RFA's add Hnidy.

Then if a decent forward is left on the scrap heap for cheap grab 'em in the biscuits! Oh sorry I meant grab them up!

If Madden is around and willing to play on the cheap, that would be a great fit.

But I thinhk if the Wings play with Hnidy on the back end that makes them real tough, 3 d who can hit you hard, and one of them will knock your teeth out if necessary.

I could see the Wings not making any more moves and playing with Janik back there, but I think they should sign a tough vet d!

Sign the RFA's add Hnidy.

Then if a decent forward is left on the scrap heap for cheap grab 'em in the biscuits! Oh sorry I meant grab them up!

If Madden is around and willing to play on the cheap, that would be a great fit.

But I thinhk if the Wings play with Hnidy on the back end that makes them real tough, 3 d who can hit you hard, and one of them will knock your teeth out if necessary.

I could see the Wings not making any more moves and playing with Janik back there, but I think they should sign a tough vet d!

Other than the Madden thing(I don't think he adds anything we don't already have) I agree completely... especially about Hnidy...

Other than the Madden thing(I don't think he adds anything we don't already have) I agree completely... especially about Hnidy...

He brings an experienced 3rd line center who plays great d, but you are right other than the vet part Helm is a better 3rd line center option, his wheels are way better than Madden's, and his pk skills are out of this world.

I am not sure how I feel about either Abby or Helm centering the third line, Helm's hands seem to let him down at times.

Now I am not saying he his Clement, Clement hands of cement, but they are not exactly silky smooth!

He brings an experienced 3rd line center who plays great d, but you are right other than the vet part Helm is a better 3rd line center option, his wheels are way better than Madden's, and his pk skills are out of this world.

I am not sure how I feel about either Abby or Helm centering the third line, Helm's hands seem to let him down at times.

Now I am not saying he his Clement, Clement hands of cement, but they are not exactly silky smooth!

I think Abs could play that 3rd line center role just fine in the event that Modano isn't added... Helm, I think, skates too fast even for himself and his hands can't keep up at times, haha