• Please log in to reply
86 replies to this topic

#61 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:26 AM

Making it in the pros - in any sport - is a whole different level. If your mate really knuckled down and dedicated his body to hockey who knows what he might achieve. You don't have to be an alcoholic for booze to derail your career, and it can generally reflect upon your off-ice work ethic in general. As Sir Alex Ferguson, one of the greatest coaches ever, in any sport says "Show me the evidence that beer makes you a better player, and I'll let you drink beer". Many a proffesional sportsman has identified the turning point in their career as the moment they stopped boozing and started looking after their bodies.

It just worries me that in Abdelkader, Smith and Sheahan we have 3 players who we hope to be the cornerstone of our franchise in 5 years that have all had booze related off-ice problems.

My friend goes to the gym twice a day for a couple of hours in the offseason. He's not allowed to have a break from his crazy workout routine on weekends by having some beers with his friends?

Especially in the offseason, I can't see how drinking would affect you any worse then eating fast food or something like that. For all we know this couldve been this guys first time drinking and he didn't know how to hide it so he got busted.

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#62 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

O*M*G!!!1 Sheahan got caught drinking under age!!!1 God, I sure hope he's not having intercourse with hot young sweeties, too! :ranting:

What is this world coming too?

Anyways, about his talent. Seems to have all the tools and size to become a force to be reckoned with.

#63 newfy

newfy

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,114 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:29 AM

I'm not worried at all. I was just using him an example. I don't really know nothing about his drinking particurarly, but I was talking about athletes drinking in general. Most NHL hockey players have been drinking at least a little at that age.

I was just saying you can't really compare us LGWers to a guy who's goal is the NHL.

I asked a source, but whatever...

Okay if you want a source go google that or something? It happened and theyve been talking about it a lot when talking about the draft. Its a HUGE reason as to why hes been slipping. You probably don't get all the hockey stations in Finland or something so you don't see the shows where they talk about the draft maybe?

RIP BOB PROBERT #24

#64 Zetts

Zetts

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 969 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:30 AM

It just worries me that in Abdelkader, Smith and Sheahan we have 3 players who we hope to be the cornerstone of our franchise in 5 years that have all had booze related off-ice problems.

Did I completely miss this? What happened with Abdelkader?

#65 Finnish Wing

Finnish Wing

13th Forward

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,475 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:37 AM

Did I completely miss this? What happened with Abdelkader?

Some bar fight, if I remember right.

Okay if you want a source go google that or something? It happened and theyve been talking about it a lot when talking about the draft. Its a HUGE reason as to why hes been slipping. You probably don't get all the hockey stations in Finland or something so you don't see the shows where they talk about the draft maybe?

I though the problems he had was more with the coaches and staff.

And I wouldn't have taken him over Sheahan anyway.
Detroit Red Wings & Tampereen Ilves forever!

#66 titanium2

titanium2

Asha... I want I want!!!

• Bronze Booster
  • 10,495 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:40 AM

I though the problems he had was more with the coaches and staff.

And I wouldn't have taken him over Sheahan anyway.

No no... His teammates really hated him for taking bad penalties and pretty much his overall sense of entitlement he got from his father, Sergei.

#67 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:01 PM

My friend goes to the gym twice a day for a couple of hours in the offseason. He's not allowed to have a break from his crazy workout routine on weekends by having some beers with his friends?

Especially in the offseason, I can't see how drinking would affect you any worse then eating fast food or something like that. For all we know this couldve been this guys first time drinking and he didn't know how to hide it so he got busted.

I've heard top dieticians say that it can take up to a fortnight to work booze out of the system....if drinking weren't such a big deal, why did he fall from a predicted 5th to 21st? That's the difference between being a sure-fire NHLer and could end up playing in the British Elite League (as happened to my wife's ex, who was drafted 15th overall IIRC).

And for what its worth, I wouldn't want any of our players eating fast food either. I used to cringe when I'd read Kronwall talking about heading to McDonalds. Thankfully he's not said that for a couple of years, so I hope he's had that beaten out of him.

Proffesional sport is a short, highly competetive career with enormous rewards. If it were me I wouldn't do *anything* to jeopordise that.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#68 hooon

hooon

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,274 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:04 PM

I'm excited! Welcome to the Wings family, Riley.

The alcohol thing doesn't bother me one bit, as long as he doesn't beat up any old men. Sometimes getting caught can be the best thing for you, a wake up call to work harder and be more responsible.

He's incredibly young, so he has many many years to develop.
Posted Image

#69 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,248 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:32 PM

I must be becoming a grit slappy, because I got excited just to see he's 6'2" and 200 lbs. It's hard to know who's going to develop into an NHL caliber player, but it's nice not to have to wonder right out of the gate if their talent can overcome lack of size to compete at that level.

#70 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 500 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 12:51 PM

Cheers to Abby, Sheahan and Smith for their alcoholic habits!

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#71 Casey

Casey

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,759 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 01:00 PM

Yet it's a fact. I said not "work as hard". You still need to work hard. It's just the way it goes. More talented guys can get to the NHL with less working than less talented guys.

Get to, sure, but...

What's the LGW battle cry for Williams? Lazy and sucks? Ton of talent, no work ethic?
Posted Image
Ceterum autem censeo, Hudler esse delendam.

#72 Earthhuman

Earthhuman

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,907 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:12 PM

He is in the top 10 in upper body strength this draft year, the stats are on the first or second page if you missed them. I don't think his "rampant alcoholism" is affecting his work ethic. Not to mention, it sounds like he was somewhat away from the middle of civilization, standing in a truck, spending time with his friends over summer. As long as his conditioning doesn't take a hit (he's 18, after all, he's not going to feel it the next day), then where is the problem? This feels like a nearly Cherpanov-level steal to me. (Rest in peace).

#73 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:18 PM

I've heard top dieticians say that it can take up to a fortnight to work booze out of the system....if drinking weren't such a big deal, why did he fall from a predicted 5th to 21st? That's the difference between being a sure-fire NHLer and could end up playing in the British Elite League (as happened to my wife's ex, who was drafted 15th overall IIRC).

And for what its worth, I wouldn't want any of our players eating fast food either. I used to cringe when I'd read Kronwall talking about heading to McDonalds. Thankfully he's not said that for a couple of years, so I hope he's had that beaten out of him.

Proffesional sport is a short, highly competetive career with enormous rewards. If it were me I wouldn't do *anything* to jeopordise that.

He was never anticipated to be 5th overall, your facts are misconstrued. He was at one time ranked the 5th overall NA Skater by one of the mid-season rankings, but most others had him far lower, and even then it didn't account for players like Granlund.

Also, your estimate of young hockey players who drink is staggeringly low. I would be shocked if ANY of the North American prospects had never gotten s***faced at least one night. It's part of Triple-A and Junior culture. I've drank with Cam Fowler underage multiple times, and my Junior day's were pretty much a booze fest. I'm not saying they are alcoholics, but seriously, do you really think Teenage North American Jocks with an already secure future don't party?
Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#74 RusDRW

RusDRW

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,358 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

I just hope we drafted our own Brendan Morrow. If this is true be ready for really long development period...
Sweet. This dude was brought here for one reason, to punch people in the head - every other thing that he can do, other Wings can do better. I like that we have a head-puncher. The league has other, better head-punchers, but this one is ours. Better than nothing. Good work, Kenny!

© mikah

#75 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:23 PM

Drinking and hockey go hand in hand.

As long as he wasn't doing anything stupid like driving or fighting it's literally nothing.

And from the reports it looks like he was just along for the ride as a freshman, and the person he was with caused the trouble.

#76 EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

EZBAKETHAGANGSTA

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,731 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 04:24 PM

Yet it's a fact. I said not "work as hard". You still need to work hard. It's just the way it goes. More talented guys can get to the NHL with less working than less talented guys.

I know one Antti Niemi for example who weren't supposed to ever be a starter in the FEL, yet he worked hard all the time. Didn't have nearly as much talent as Tuukka Rask or Kari Lehtonen for example but just worked hard. Kari Lehtonen is an example of talent not working as hard. He's still an NHL goalie, but if he had only Niemi-like talent he would've never been even close to getting to the NHL. Tuukka Rask is both talented and hard worker and that's why he could be the best goalie in the World in the future.

So as rough at it sounds, you don't need to work as hard if you have more talent. Also, you don't need to have as much talent if you work hard. Still the stupidest thing you've heard here? This is the LGW after all...

Agreed. While it may be hard to admit for some people on this site, the "If you try hard enough, you can succeed at anything" attitude doesn't extend to pro sports nearly as much as people would like to believe.

Edited by EZBAKETHAGANGSTA, 26 June 2010 - 04:27 PM.

Victory Honda Forever.

Like my posts? Contact Hossa4life for information regarding my fan club

#77 SwedeLundin77

SwedeLundin77

Over the Line!!!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,876 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 09:27 PM

To all the apparent "booze and hockey don't mix" fans:

Gee, look how terrible Patrick Kane is when he gets drunk and beats cab drivers.... Surely his skill has taken a hit eh? Yeah... exactly. This is a prime example that just because you drink, doesn't mean you slide in the draft. Sheahan slid down in the draft because he was amazing in juniors and his offense took a hit because he was a youngster on a new team with older players and competitors, and being taught to play defense first. Oh and everything he was used to doing had changed when he went to UND, no family, making new friends, tough ass academics, etc...

He'll be a top 6 forward on this team in the future, if i'm wrong i'll kill, skin, cook, and eat the damn crow.

#78 Drake_Marcus

Drake_Marcus

Pariah

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,336 posts

Posted 26 June 2010 - 11:01 PM

Sometimes getting caught can be the best thing for you, a wake up call to work harder and be more responsible.

This! A wake-up call is one of those stepping stones you use to become more mature when you're growing up. At least it was for me...

He'll be a top 6 forward on this team in the future, if i'm wrong i'll kill, skin, cook, and eat the damn crow.

:D You're a confident person. I like that. :thumbup:
Dedicated to lulz once lost:
Posted Image
Thanks TeeMan!

"We live on a placid island of ignorance in the midst of black seas
of infinity, and it was not meant that we should voyage" --H.P. Lovecraft

#79 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,940 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:45 AM

To put it in perspective, I was a drinker/stoner in high school. The "good" kids only drank on weekends. That was 26 years ago.

What are the "good" kids doing now? Well, there's one who is the owner of a multi-million dollar business that he built from the ground up. Another is the editor of a well-known magazine. Another has an invention in the Smithsonian (technology division). Quite a few are pastors/teachers/counselors who are effecting people's lives in a positive way. There's an Army Major, a doctor, several farmers... the list goes on.

Those of us who were stoners/drinkers didn't fare so well. I won't go into details, but there have been some tragic ends to people's lives, and the rest of us have paid the price in some aspect or our lives.

My point is that there is a huge difference between going out and having a few, and making it a way of life. If he's only been caught once, I'm not worried about him.

#80 KrazyGangsta

KrazyGangsta

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 2,465 posts

Posted 27 June 2010 - 07:47 AM

From what I've read and heard around seems to be a quality pick. He did only get 6 goals in a defensive system which is understandable. His still young tho his going to get groomed for years to come, all tho his size and strength is going to give him a major boost in his production and cut his time in GR by half.