• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
xtrememachine1

Sharks sign RFA Niklas Hjalmarsson

Rate this topic

the huet contract is a curse. Even if they somehow get rid of it by then they will have lost all their players and have no talent left in FA to sign.

Can someone explain to me how this works? I keep hearing people talk about "burying" his contract in the KHL or the Minors, but I still don't see how they won't be on the hook for some of that cap hit regardless? I'm just confused at how this works, anyone care to clear it up for me?

They could still keep Hjalmarson if they are willing to let Niemi walk...but that would also include burying Huet in the KHL...so where I am at is that the choice is Hjalmarsson or Niemi...

How is it exactly they could sent Huet to the KHL... If a player is under contract to an NHL team they have to fulfill the contract, would the same not apply in reverse? IE don't the Hawks have to live up to the contract they signed?

Lol I love it. Now if this Niemi arbitration thing plays out, they will have literally lost everyone, plus Buff and Versteeg. Things are looking grim in Chicago... Anyone else care to start another debate on them being completely fine next season?

that would be a really interesting debate, seeing as the hawks had overwhelming top end talent that won them the cup. 4 really good lines. and they still have the likes of toews, kane, sharp, hossa...keith and seabrook. but they lost ALOT of their role players. do they still have a 4th line? their main concern should be signing a couple cheap players that can do what ladd, fraser, burish and madden could do. and buff and versteeg are going to be massive losses. anyone who doesn't think so needs to give their head a shake. and this is from a hawks fan (behind the Wings obviously).

honest opinion...they're kinda f***ed. wings top central next season by a landslide.

i would also like to publically thank Matt for helping me out with my name change. thanks bud.

Had a feeling this would happen

never for a second did i think it would be this bad. this is monumental!

Can someone explain to me how this works? I keep hearing people talk about "burying" his contract in the KHL or the Minors, but I still don't see how they won't be on the hook for some of that cap hit regardless? I'm just confused at how this works, anyone care to clear it up for me?

If he cleared waivers and went to the AHL, his salary would not count against the cap - KHL is not an option, as he would basically have to go awol and that brings up a whole extra transfer agreement issue, plus, they'd still be on the hook if he returned, as it basically just suspends the contract... but this is a VERY unrealistic option due to the repercussions involved with it... if they were smart, they'd trade Niemi and make him the starter or just buy him out and eat the 2.5 cap hit involved with it...

Edited by stevkrause

I wonder how many prospect they'll use and what it will do to their prospect pool. Even though it's frustrating to watch talents like Kindl rot away in the AHL there is something to be said for giving prospects time to develop. Now the Hawks have to rush the development of some of their prospects and it might not turn out so well.

How is it exactly they could sent Huet to the KHL... If a player is under contract to an NHL team they have to fulfill the contract, would the same not apply in reverse? IE don't the Hawks have to live up to the contract they signed?

Since he was under 35 when he signed the contract he can be waived and sent to the minors/KHL without counting against the cap. They still need to pay him, but he won't count against cap.

I wonder how many prospect they'll use and what it will do to their prospect pool. Even though it's frustrating to watch talents like Kindl rot away in the AHL there is something to be said for giving prospects time to develop. Now the Hawks have to rush the development of some of their prospects and it might not turn out so well.

Even with Niemi and Hjalmarsson gone, they STILL will need to make another move, just to fill out a roster...

so where I am at is that the choice is Hjalmarsson or Niemi...

That is an easy choice. Niemi wasn't even that good in the playoffs (just good enough, and not worse than Leighton/Boucher), while Hjalmarsson has been a key part of their defense for 2 seasons.

If he cleared waivers and went to the AHL, his salary would not count against the cap - KHL is not an option, as he would basically have to go awol and that brings up a whole extra transfer agreement issue, plus, they'd still be on the hook if he returned, as it basically just suspends the contract... but this is a VERY unrealistic option due to the repercussions involved with it... if they were smart, they'd trade Niemi and make him the starter or just buy him out and eat the 2.5 cap hit involved with it...

Ah thanks. I have a feeling Huet could be their starter next season... Or possibly their backup again with Crawford on the ice. :yowza:

That is an easy choice. Niemi wasn't even that good in the playoffs (just good enough, and not worse than Leighton/Boucher), while Hjalmarsson has been a key part of their defense for 2 seasons.

except they don't have the money to sign another good goalie is Hjalmarsson is kept.

Ah thanks. I have a feeling Huet could be their starter next season... Or possibly their backup again with Crawford on the ice. :yowza:

That is definitely how it's looking... hell, with all the goalies on the market right now, they might be better off buying Huet out and trying to lure in Turco at about 2 or 2.5 million a year... it'd be about the same caphit combined, but would arguably be an upgrade...

They'd actually save cap space as a matter of fact, as his buyout hit is actually only 1.875 - http://www.capgeek.com/buyout_calculator.php?Player=272&buyout_y=2010&buyout_m=07&buyout_d=20&Calculate=%C2%AB+CALCULATE+BUYOUT+%C2%BB

Edited by stevkrause

That is definitely how it's looking... hell, with all the goalies on the market right now, they might be better off buying Huet out and trying to lure in Turco at about 2 or 2.5 million a year... it'd be about the same caphit combined, but would arguably be an upgrade...

There is no need to buy him out when they can send him to the minors or KHL and get all 5 million back...

Where are all the Hawks fans? WE STOLL GOTZ THE CUP LOLZ! DETROIT SUX!

Well, I mean, I wouldn't be surprised if the Hawks brass weren't panicking right now even though their cap situation is pretty bad and the Cup is the reason why.

this is getting downright crazy i wonder how bad these guys are gonna suck next year, they have nearly lost the whole third and fourth lines of the team and one of their important depth d-men. They have turned from a greatest hockey team of the year to the offseason laughing stock in just a matter of a few months. I won't be surprised if they lose niemi and start huet next year as many of you have suggested.

There is no need to buy him out when they can send him to the minors or KHL and get all 5 million back...

first, the can't "send him to the KHL", not even an option and if I need to explain this, then you need to educate yourself...

second, you can't just "send someone to the AHL" there are ramifications there, even besides that whole, you know, an owner just eating 5 MILLION DOLLARS... the NHLPA could block the move for one, and ALSO, it sets a bad precedent for FA signings in the future...

Edited by stevkrause

Great move if your SJ! They add an extremely talented young Dman who will instantly shore up their core.

Not only that, they pick late in each round anyway.

dead on - especially realizing Chicago's cap situation and the fact that they most likely will not be able to match...

Very savvy move on their part.

dead on - especially realizing Chicago's cap situation and the fact that they most likely will not be able to match...

Very savvy move on their part.

The only downside is the $3.5 per is a little steep for the first year or two of the deal. He should be worth that amount per year in no more than two seasons though, and potentially as soon as the 2011/2012 season.

so will hawks fans be booing every player that left the team next year when they get the puck on their new teams or what. Im leaning towards yes because they are all bandwagon jumpers anyways, if they have any fans next year!!!

Edited by HockeyTownHouligan

The only downside is the $3.5 per is a little steep for the first year or two of the deal. He should be worth that amount per year in no more than two seasons though, and potentially as soon as the 2011/2012 season.

It's all about paying for potential and if he continues improving at the pace he is at, this could be an absolute bargain by year 3 of the deal... even if he just plays at his current pace, it's on par with what comparable d-men are paid...

so will hawks fans be booing every player that left the team next year when they get the puck on their new teams or what. Im leaning towards yes because they are all bandwagon jumpers anyways, if they have any fans next year!!!

That's why they dealt most of them to the East, so the bandwagon fans don't realize how good their former players are doing, as they probably won't watch the other conference games at all and will only have to see these guys once a year at most at home...

It's all about paying for potential and if he continues improving at the pace he is at, this could be an absolute bargain by year 3 of the deal... even if he just plays at his current pace, it's on par with what comparable d-men are paid...

I know its all about paying for potential, but my point is that he's not likely to play at a high enough level the final two seasons of the contract to make up for his likely level the first two. Yes, a guy of Hjalmarsson's talent is likely to outplay this contract at the end, but the price could be a shade steep for next year and possibly the following.

Nowhere am I saying it wasn't worth it though. Like I said in my initial post, great moveif your SJ.

They could still keep Hjalmarson if they are willing to let Niemi walk...but that would also include burying Huet in the KHL...so where I am at is that the choice is Hjalmarsson or Niemi...

Who would be their goalie?

first, the can't "send him to the KHL", not even an option and if I need to explain this, then you need to educate yourself...

second, you can't just "send someone to the AHL" there are ramifications there, even besides that whole, you know, an owner just eating 5 MILLION DOLLARS... the NHLPA could block the move for one, and ALSO, it sets a bad precedent for FA signings in the future...

Just like the whole Hudler can he or can't he KHL drama last year. No way that someone who already has a contract would be allowed to play in the KHL.