CARRY-OVER BONUS PENALTY

$4,157,753

CAPGEEK.COM TOTALS

ROSTER SIZE 15

SALARY CAP $59,400,000

PAYROLL $59,351,590

BONUSES $65,000

CAP SPACE $113,410

Cap geek seems to assume that Hammer will be matched by the hawks and the rumbling on twitter support this... if its true they are in even more cap hell than they were before.

According to a LeBrun "tweet" Hawks have matched the offer sheet. Campbell (LOL) and Sharp being shopped.

They will have to take a lot of salary back to get rid of soup.

According to a LeBrun "tweet" Hawks have matched the offer sheet. Campbell (LOL) and Sharp being shopped.

I've said all along that from day 1 off off-season, they should have offered a package of Huet, Campbell and Sharp to some team with an ABUNDANCE of cap space, for minimal return as basically a salary dump - the receiving team gets a top 4 d-man, a top 3 forward and could roll Huet as an expensive as hell backup, or buy him out...

Too late for that now...

They're going to be SUCH a shell of the team that won the cup, it's laughable...

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Heaten

:lol:

thanks for the investigative reporting!

Another one I really like is apparently Byfuglien is overrated and worthless. Hawks can easily find a big body, any big body, to stand hopelessly in front of the crease for the almighty Patrick Kane to bounce goals off from.

Also their fans think this is how a team must win the Stanley Cup in the new cap era; after winning the cup, ALL teams must fire sale and rebuild. The team that returns the most pics via said fire sale, wins.

My logic (and I could be wrong), is a team should plan the future in such a way to keep as many players as they possibly can who just helped them win the cup. I mean, it did kind of worked for the Red Wings and Penguins. I understand the victorious feeling that they finally won the cup for the first time in 50 -something years. But why not plan the future to win the Stanley Cup 4 times the next 14 years like the Detroit Red Wings have done?

I know it's not easy to do what the Detroit Red Wings do... but Blackhawks 'did' have a pretty good team. If not for horrible management and poor ownership, Blackhawks may have been a worthy rival for the Detroit Red Wings for at least a couple of decades. At this point, I'd be surprised if Blackhawks made the playoffs considering western teams are getting better while they are clearly getting significantly worse.

Is it just me or is the Blackhawk's off-seasons always a big circus? It's not funny, it's kinda sad that half their team was already traded or unable to be re-signed before their first cup parade in 50 years. I'm glad we have elite franchise that knows how to not only win the Stanley Cup, but win the Stanley Cup about once every 3-5 years.

I've said all along that from day 1 off off-season, they should have offered a package of Huet, Campbell and Sharp to some team with an ABUNDANCE of cap space, for minimal return as basically a salary dump - the receiving team gets a top 4 d-man, a top 3 forward and could roll Huet as an expensive as hell backup, or buy him out...

Too late for that now...

They're going to be SUCH a shell of the team that won the cup, it's laughable...

There's also the fact that the Hjalmarsson deal will have an impact on when Seabrook becomes an RFA after this coming season. 4.5 - 5 million isn't going to be out of the question.

Ok, Heres the bottom line:

The Blackhawks if they sign 5 players at 600,000 or less only have 2,000,000 in space to sign Nemmi or another goalie. Their fans What Threeorfour but... that in my mind would be the nail in the Chicago coffin for any chance going deep into the playoffs. This bloated contract maybe the best thing the sharks have ever done as a franchise. Tampa bay 2.0 here they come.

Ok, Heres the bottom line:

The Blackhawks if they sign 5 players at 600,000 or less only have 2,000,000 in space to sign Nemmi or another goalie. Their fans What Threeorfour but... that in my mind would be the nail in the Chicago coffin for any chance going deep into the playoffs. This bloated contract maybe the best thing the sharks have ever done as a franchise. Tampa bay 2.0 here they come.

:thumbup:

I guess it's still not too late, but if these reports hold true then I'm really surprised Chicago is going to go ahead and try and move a guy like Sharp instead of making Huet disappear. I would still prioritize icing the best team possible over whatever reputation was lost from that kind of move. I'd think money and a chance to be on a good team would talk louder than one underachiever with a terrible contract getting buried, but then again I'm sadly not an NHL player and maybe can't grasp all their motivations.

Unless there's something else delaying Huet's departure to the Siberian gulags -- frugal owner, perhaps? His contract is so damaging to the team that it's hard for me to imagine it not being removed as swiftly as possible, consequences be damned.

Guest Hatethedrake!

Sharp is likely going to have to be moved now. No team in their right mind will take either Campbell or Huet with thier albatross contracts. Niemi is likely going to be rewarded at least 3 mil in Salary Arbitration. If they were to walk away from it they would still have to sign a goalie. Huet will be buried in the minors (or the KHL). They have Corey Crawford. I don't think he will be the starter. Man the Hawks roster is a total mess right now.

In all seriousness, they may be able to send Campbell and one of their abundance of picks/prospects from these trades to the Islanders who need to get up to the cap minimum...

That would be a laugh. Campbell meets the only player in the NHL with a worse contract than his own -- Rick DiPietro and his deal that lasts until the next sighting of Halley's Comet.

So if they keep Hjallmer they could be even more screwed than before? Awesome.

I don't believe there is a sinlge team on earth or in hell that would take on Campbell's contract. If they have to deal Sharp to keep Hjalmarsson, I will simply laugh.

Nick H is a really good player and all, but he's had ONE good season in the NHL, and is still far from proven. I guess they really want to keep him, but I still think its an overpayment. What a terrible situation to be in if you're the Hawks, because either way its a lose/lose.

Guest DatsyukianDeke13

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/news;_ylt=AmS.qAqKgpRF0QiLltaOzKJ7vLYF?slug=ap-blackhawks-hjalmarsson

Blackhawks to keep D Hjalmarsson

CHICAGO (AP)—The Chicago Blackhawks say they plan to keep 23-year-old restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson(notes).

General manager Stan Bowman said Monday that the Stanley Cup champions will match the four-year, $14 million offer sheet Hjalmarsson signed with the San Jose Sharks last week. Bowman says the team will complete the paperwork in the next couple of days.

Hjalmarsson earned $660,000 last season.

Bowman says the team plans to continue negotiating with restricted free agent goaltender Antti Niemi(notes), who has filed for arbitration.

Since winning their first Stanley Cup in 49 years, the Blackhawks have traded seven players in order to remain on under the NHL’s $59.4 million cap next season.

http://sports.yahoo....wks-hjalmarsson

Blackhawks to keep D Hjalmarsson

CHICAGO (AP)—The Chicago Blackhawks say they plan to keep 23-year-old restricted free agent defenseman Niklas Hjalmarsson(notes).

General manager Stan Bowman said Monday that the Stanley Cup champions will match the four-year, $14 million offer sheet Hjalmarsson signed with the San Jose Sharks last week. Bowman says the team will complete the paperwork in the next couple of days.

Hjalmarsson earned $660,000 last season.

Bowman says the team plans to continue negotiating with restricted free agent goaltender Antti Niemi(notes), who has filed for arbitration.

Since winning their first Stanley Cup in 49 years, the Blackhawks have traded seven players in order to remain on under the NHL's $59.4 million cap next season.

:hehe: Huet is a dead duck now. This is getting better.

Does Hossa have a NTC? they should have dumped him and kept much of their role players...

Wouldn't have helped much, he has a pretty friendly cap hit. Hossa + Plug > Vertseeg + Buffy. Now if they had never signed Hossa in the first place, they wouldn't have the $4 mil in carryover, THEN they would be in pretty good shape.

Guest Heaten

If I'm Cambell, I'm finding 8 teams who are up against the cap already.

If I'm Campbell, I'm not only willing to waive my NTC, I'm willing to renegotiate my contract to get away from that joke of a franchise. There is a meltdown in Chi-Town, and I would want no part of it. Plus, I would rather be moved to a potential cup contender.

Unfortunately for Campbell, no team is willing to take on his ridiculous contract.

Wouldn't have helped much, he has a pretty friendly cap hit. Hossa + Plug > Vertseeg + Buffy. Now if they had never signed Hossa in the first place, they wouldn't have the $4 mil in carryover, THEN they would be in pretty good shape.

Hossa's cap-friendly contract would've made a much more attractive trade asset. I'd still rather have Versteeg + Byfuglien over Hossa.

Current state of the team

Signed (15 Players): 9 Forwards, 5 Defensemen, 1 Goalie

Unsigned (7 Players): 4 Forwards, 2 Defensemen, 1 Goalie (Niemi headed to Arbitration)

Cap Space Remaining: $113,410

Ouch-Town, Population: Chicago!

So he will be making more then kronwall....???? He had 17 pts and kronwall had 26??? In only 40 some games and had 51 points last year.... I'm confused.... Lol well guess we got a steal and once again Chicago is paying too much lol