• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Zetts

NHL examining other long term contracts

Rate this topic

I guess Bettman is trying for a 0% approval rating. How much more can this guy be hated? If he starts voiding Luongo, Hossa, Savard, and Pronger deals, and even try's the Zetterberg, Franzen, Lecavalier, etc. ones he should seriously watch his back and keep his public appearances to a minimum. Seriously how much more until some crazed fan try's to take him out?

First of all he pissed of the PA with the cap, now he'll piss of owners if they lose their top stars. What a mess! It's time to show Bettman (I think his days are becoming numbered) the door and go with a more sensible Luxury Cap system.

Guest scottj

yeah... if I've heard correctly, the only reason Bettman is still commissioner is because the GMs like him. obviously the majority of them find it more beneficial for the game to give up what he has taken away in exchange for more $$$. like somebody said earlier, if he takes players away from teams that have already drafted and recruited around their contracts, then you can bet your ass that the GMs will be uber uber pissed. so, (again)like said earlier, no way in hell this s*** actually happens

Campbell's contract is fine, though, right? Well then carry on. Just so long as that millstone stays tied around the Hawk's neck I'm fine with whatever they want to do.

The NHL ought to investigate Huet's contract. Not because of length, but on just how stupid it is.

They better not touch that one either!

Guest CaliWingsNut

Because the Wings while they did do the same thing did it in a REASONABLE and REALISTIC way. What are the chances Hossa is worth his cap hit at 42? Astronomically low. What are the chances he will even still be a hawk at that age? Better get your lottery tickets cause those have better chances of hitting. Whereas Zetterberg, whats the chances hes going to play to 40? Not bad on most teams, and pretty good on the wings team. Will he be worth all of his cap hit? Id argue theres a chance he will be worth a good portion of it even after 35, but no, theres a trade off. The league isn't stupid, they understand since the chances of Zetterberg playing out his contract is good that the wings are essentially makings a trade off: Zetterberg worth more than his cap hit today for a Zetterberg who isn't worth as much down the road. The reason why Chicago, Vancouver, Boston are under investigation is because theres no realistic way the contracts are played out, therefore they are circumventing the CBA because unlike with the wings and Zetterberg the trade off is unlikely to be made and the teams get a great deal today, and no check for it tomorrow.

or you could just point out we had a press conference this summer to announce the signing of a 40 yr old.

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=536110

Hossa, Pronger, Luongo and Savard.

No Hank, no Mule! :cool:

" Other penalties, as outlined in Article 26 of the CBA, include fines against the club and/or the player, reducing the club's payroll for the following season, forfeiting draft picks, forfeiting games affected by the circumvention ..."

Technically, Chicago could lose Hossa, get fined for an amount close to his cap hit, lose some of the draft picks they gained in their firesale, AND lose their Cup win.

Never happen of course, but like fantasizing about winning the lottery, it's fun to imagine. :hehe:

Guest CaliWingsNut

In the case of Hossa... getting rid of the contract may make things easier for Chicago...

My opinion is that we won't see anything until someone retires early. Then NHL will go and fine the team. If anything.

In the case of Hossa... getting rid of the contract may make things easier for Chicago...

My opinion is that we won't see anything until someone retires early. Then NHL will go and fine the team. If anything.

That's the thing. If the rarest of chances played through and CHicago actually lost Hossa, they'd have a ton of space all of a sudden wide open.