• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
The Secret

Goalie Poll @ nhl.com

Rate this topic

No one.

In today's era, goalies are overrated. Some of the biggest name goalies suck in the playoffs, while faceless jobbers are playing in the Cup Finals.

Just about every team is finding good goalies out of the minors no one has ever heard of, and those goalies are doing just fine. If I was building a team, I'd concentrate on everything else first, and then the goalie.

The days of needing a Hasek, Roy, Brodeur, Belfour, etc. to win the Cup ended after the lockout.

Y'know, I wonder if its not that you don't need a Roy or a Hasek, its that there just aren't any All-World goaltenders around these days. A lot of good goalies, a lot of goalies who get hot for a season or two, but is there one goalie who's been consistently great since the lockout? A goalie who you were scared of facing in the playoffs year after year like Roy + Belfour + Hasek + Brodeur back in the day.

The only way this makes sense is if you gather that he is the youngest one of these goaltenders.

Luongo is the clear choice if you are talking about the next 5 years. If you don't think so check out his numbers compared to the all time great goaltenders. His are very competitive and that includes a ton of years on a crappy team. Brodeur is the clear choice if it was in their prime.

I still don't know if Howard will have a second good year let alone a career. I would take him as my goaltender without complaint, but I don't think he would be in my top five choices for franchise goaltender. Unless you are giving me him at his current salary... I would gladly take him at his current salary for his entire career, just as I hope the Wings manage to get him locked up at absurdly underpaid scale.

Luongo is the clear choice if you are talking about the next 5 years. If you don't think so check out his numbers compared to the all time great goaltenders. His are very competitive and that includes a ton of years on a crappy team.

Lolno. By virtue of that argument you take Vokoun ahead of him (better numbers + more years spent on a crappy team). Toss in a likely better contract. Also toss in the Luongo's questionable ability to deal with pressure.

That said, I think Lundqvist probably has the best overall package of age, numbers/regular season play, ability to deal with pressure, and the like. Only thing with him is his contract is a bit questionable. Miller would probably be my choice for any US team, however, because he's incredibly marketable as well as an outstanding goaltender. Jimmy has a chance of meeting that as well (being a US goalie) if he were to be the key part of, say, a Red Wings cup or two.

A couple points I'd like to make

I doubt the voting is off do to the fact non-wing fans normally dislike us enough to not give any of our players due credit.

I'd like to see what a guy like Lund, Kipper, Lou or Miller could do in the postseason if they weren't always playing 65 + reg season games. Lund I think would be best if he had a better team in front of him.

Broduer is old. End of story.

I'd pick Jonathan Quick

A couple points I'd like to make

I doubt the voting is off do to the fact non-wing fans normally dislike us enough to not give any of our players due credit.

I'd like to see what a guy like Lund, Kipper, Lou or Miller could do in the postseason if they weren't always playing 65 + reg season games. Lund I think would be best if he had a better team in front of him.

Broduer is old. End of story.

I'd pick Jonathan Quick

Excellent point! These goalies are work horses during the reg season and can't help but be tired come play off.

People knocking Loungo saying he hasn't won anything yet to prove himself should keep that point in mind. He was named Captain of his team because they realize the importance of what he does, he was called on to replace one of the best goalies of all time and won Gold for Canada and he's been a work horse at the NHL level since he was 20 years old!? That a goalie I'd want to build my team around.

Honestly, Howard has no business even being mentioned on a list with World Class goalies like Lou, Brodeur, Kipper and Lund.... Howard finally earned a spot to play in the NHL by default at the age of 26. He's done well and shown he can be good enough on this team but hasn't shown anything that would make him be the centrepiece to build my team around! He has the potential to be decent but still needs alot of work and he's getting a late start in comparison.