• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Evans_18

Datsyuk voted best Russian player

Rate this topic

It's all symantics they are two of the best two way players in the game, you couldn't go wrong with either choice, that being said if I had to pick one or the other it would be Datsyuk by a slim and I mean very slim margin.

To the poster who chose 09 as the starting point why not go back to their first common season? 02-03 I think that Datsyuk would win but I could be wrong.

Because it's a "Who is better RIGHT NOW".

Who's better, Wayne Gretzky or Pavel Datsyuk? Gordie Howe or me? Let's solve that one on the ice! Ridiculous.

Edited by eva unit zero

Because it's a "Who is better RIGHT NOW".

Who's better, Wayne Gretzky or Pavel Datsyuk? Gordie Howe or me? Let's solve that one on the ice! Ridiculous.

Who says it's who's better right now, as a matter of fact this thread wasn't even about Zetterberg until you hijacked it. You are the first one to jump to a stat to prove your point Eva. Statistics can be made to prove any point depending on how you use them, I've included a quote that I think it rather fitting.

Statistics are like bikinis.

What they reveal is suggestive,

but what they conceal is vital.

~Aaron Levenstein

Who says it's who's better right now, as a matter of fact this thread wasn't even about Zetterberg until you hijacked it. You are the first one to jump to a stat to prove your point Eva. Statistics can be made to prove any point depending on how you use them, I've included a quote that I think it rather fitting.

Statistics are like bikinis.

What they reveal is suggestive,

but what they conceal is vital.

~Aaron Levenstein

You're wearing a bikini?

Stopped reading there.

If you continued you'd notice Eva is willing to pull up stats from previous years (despite this little quote: 'Because it's a "Who is better RIGHT NOW"') when he can find data to support his argument. I've noticed that the crux of most of your arguments, Eva, is prorated stats. See: data that doesn't actually exist.

Anyway, up until last season when the team was decimated with injuries and fatigue Datsyuk has continuously ended the season with more points than Zetterberg. For what its worth Pav's +/- is usually higher and he had twice as many hits last year as Zetterberg (yahoo sports just started keeping track of the stat, there might be more data from previous years at nhl.com or something). Dats not only beats Z in takeaways but he usually beats the entire league, and by a sickeningly wide margin. Zetterberg has also never registered an 80 game season in his 7 years of being here. If you want to look at what defines a complete player, you can't ignore the fact that some players regularly sit games out due to injuries, while others either through the way the see the ice or play the game continue to avoid missing ice time. Granted, Z is only sitting out about 4 more games/season than Dats, but its worth considering when talking about what defines a "complete player"

If you continued you'd notice Eva is willing to pull up stats from previous years (despite this little quote: 'Because it's a "Who is better RIGHT NOW"') when he can find data to support his argument. I've noticed that the crux of most of your arguments, Eva, is prorated stats. See: data that doesn't actually exist.

Anyway, up until last season when the team was decimated with injuries and fatigue Datsyuk has continuously ended the season with more points than Zetterberg. For what its worth Pav's +/- is usually higher and he had twice as many hits last year as Zetterberg (yahoo sports just started keeping track of the stat, there might be more data from previous years at nhl.com or something). Dats not only beats Z in takeaways but he usually beats the entire league, and by a sickeningly wide margin. Zetterberg has also never registered an 80 game season in his 7 years of being here. If you want to look at what defines a complete player, you can't ignore the fact that some players regularly sit games out due to injuries, while others either through the way the see the ice or play the game continue to avoid missing ice time. Granted, Z is only sitting out about 4 more games/season than Dats, but its worth considering when talking about what defines a "complete player"

Does your complete player take AA or AAA?

I am still wondering as to why Z is part of the discussion. Its clearly stated Best Russian Player. Im just saying if we want to have a discussion about it then it should be players like Ovi, Malkin, and Kovy.

Does your complete player take AA or AAA?

He takes Selkes, Lady Bings, and Stanley Cups. But seriously, if you're going to scoff off a player's tendency to get injured it makes it that much easier for me to scoff off your prorated stats. Hell, when it came to skill Eric Lindros was one of the greatest, but he won't even be inducted to the HOF due to a certain consequence of how he played.

How many of Zetterberg's points are a direct result of Datsyuk's awesome passing and play-making ability? Dats is the better player, but like most have said by a very slim margin.

Agreed. In the long run, I believe Datsyuk would have the longer sustained success, career-wise, because his stand alone ability. He is the more naturally skilled all-around player over Zetterberg. While Z has flashes of individual brillance, I think he would end up as a poor man's Steve Yzerman in his late 30's, a two-way player with less offense then Steve put out (thus my reasoning for cringing when he signed his life deal). Also, Henrik's whole game takes more physical exertion, leading to reduced effectiveness late in his career. Datsyuk usually skates at less than top speed, his defensive game focuses more on craftiness and a quick stick lift than physicality, and his game is 90% his hockey sense (which isn't going anywhere with age).

In reality, disregarding age, if i had to only have one of them, it would be Pavel.

Guest mindfly

I'd still take Crosby over any European player. :ph34r:

That said I'm not surprised, Datsyuk is just an unbelievable player in every aspect of the game, I'd certainly take 10-15 less points and get the best two way center in the game. I do hope he can get his point totals up around 100 so he can get some more national recognition for his skill, but to me that's not necessary.

The Zetterberg v. Datsyuk debate isn't even one for me. They are equal, Zetterberg has had a little more injury troubles in the regular seasons, but has came to play in the playoffs. Datsyuk has been lucky on the injury front and has been able to be very consistent the last couple years in the regular season which make it seem like he's better.

What piss me off the most about pittsburgh and crosby is the well known fact that he was a from the 2005 draftcass during the lockout, and pittsburgh were so damn lucky to get him... >_<, if it weren't a workstop i would have loved the wings to tank the season from day one of the season to get him... <_<