• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
kook_10

Wings to Eastern Conference Someday?

Rate this topic

121 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

I want them in the West for hockey reasons, but not necessarily because it is better. I just don't think the Wings team or the organization is geared toward or necessarily equipped for a full schedule of crash and bang hockey in the East. They just excel with a skill based system. With some retooling I'm sure they'd do fine, but I'm not ready or anxious to see them retool. I'd be happy to see then greatly increase the number of inter conference games though.

I want them in the West for hockey reasons, but not necessarily because it is better. I just don't think the Wings team or the organization is geared toward or necessarily equipped for a full schedule of crash and bang hockey in the East. They just excel with a skill based system. With some retooling I'm sure they'd do fine, but I'm not ready or anxious to see them retool. I'd be happy to see then greatly increase the number of inter conference games though.

Skill beats goonery 9 out of 10 times... if anything, the other teams would need to re-tool to compete with Detroit... it's kind of a moot point anyway, because the difference between the 2 conferences is minimal at most...

I thought about this when Winnipeg was being talked about as far as getting their team back. If they replaced say Atlanta or Tampa Bay then logically a Western team would move east. Theres a problem though, Columbus. They are further East than Detroit is and it would make more sense to move them. I think the Wings are stuck in the west for a while.

I thought about this when Winnipeg was being talked about as far as getting their team back. If they replaced say Atlanta or Tampa Bay then logically a Western team would move east. Theres a problem though, Columbus. They are further East than Detroit is and it would make more sense to move them. I think the Wings are stuck in the west for a while.

Winnipeg wouldn't affect a shift for East-West most likely anyway, as Winnipeg will probably just be getting its Jets back (Phoenix)

The East-West shift would come into question if/when Quebec gets a team back (Atlanta most likely) and/or if the New York Islanders move to Kansas City

it's kind of a moot point anyway, because the difference between the 2 conferences is minimal at most...

I don't think that is entirely true. There are still a handful of teams in the East which play a dump and chase, bang it out ugly style which you don't see in the West. All you have to do is watch the last ten minutes of any Rangers game and you will see two exhausted teams dragging ass up and down the ice. Your opponent doesn't have to win to suck the life out of you over 82 games. Endurance is a much bigger factor in the East.

The west coast games absolutely kill the local tv ratings/revenue. having said that, I can't see the league persuing a quick change... the Wings are a great draw on the road for some reason. I suppose the Ilitch family will press on this issue once the new arena is finished or when the wings are bottom dwellers.

On one hand, the Wings in the east would mean we'd have an easier schedule and a less-weary road to the Cup finals. On the other, that means whoever we'd face coming out of the West would have had had a tougher schedule and a harder row to hoe to get to the Cup finals, which means they'd probably be juiced up ten ways from Sunday to play a team from an inferior conference.

So I'd prefer the Wings to stay put. I'd rather us work and scrape to get to the Cup finals and have our reward be a team from the Eastern conference.

I put yes because I would prefer the early times for games, and the lighter travel schedule.

So I'd prefer the Wings to stay put. I'd rather us work and scrape to get to the Cup finals and have our reward be a team from the Eastern conference.

I thought of this to, but I feel like the team is disciplined enough as it is, or at least they have been in the past. The slow start right now is what usually happens, so I expect them to get on track soon. I don't think they'd be taking any opponent for granted when it counts most.

I don't think that is entirely true. There are still a handful of teams in the East which play a dump and chase, bang it out ugly style which you don't see in the West. All you have to do is watch the last ten minutes of any Rangers game and you will see two exhausted teams dragging ass up and down the ice. Your opponent doesn't have to win to suck the life out of you over 82 games. Endurance is a much bigger factor in the East.

That handful is dwindling by the year though and those teams have not been winning, so they will continue to dwindle... also, a team cannot dump and chase, if they never get the puck...

I think endurance is a FAR bigger factor in the West actually, that travel takes its toll and is a lot more draining (mentally and physically) than playing an up-tempo style of hockey that these athletes are conditioned for...

That handful is dwindling by the year though and those teams have not been winning, so they will continue to dwindle... also, a team cannot dump and chase, if they never get the puck...

I think endurance is a FAR bigger factor in the West actually, that travel takes its toll and is a lot more draining (mentally and physically) than playing an up-tempo style of hockey that these athletes are conditioned for...

People don't get concussions, blow out knees, or get back spasms on planes. That's the kind of endurance that concerns me most. I don't think the Mule would see the end of his contract in the East for one.

People don't get concussions, blow out knees, or get back spasms on planes. That's the kind of endurance that concerns me most. I don't think the Mule would see the end of his contract in the East for one.

I'd like you to show me some stats that back up the argument that there are more man games lost in the East than the West... I don't buy for one second that this is the case...

I'd like you to show me some stats that back up the argument that there are more man games lost in the East than the West... I don't buy for one second that this is the case...

you missed the point. my argument was that the Wings would lose more man games.

you missed the point. my argument was that the Wings would lose more man games.

And why would the Wings as opposed to current EC teams? If anything, they'd be less likely, as a puck posession style of game basically negates the dump and chase anyway...

Guest Stolberg

On the one hand, the East would mean the WIngs would dominate each and every year.

On the other hand, I think it might make the Wings lazier. In the West you've got to have that killer instinct. I'd hate to have an easy route to the Finals in the East only to run into a well-oiled machine of a Western juggernaut and not be prepared.

oh yeah, i'm sure a team that has fought through three other rounds of the playoffs is going to be unprepared for the deadly WESTERN JUGGERNAUT.

there is no easy route to the finals.

And why would the Wings as opposed to current EC teams? If anything, they'd be less likely, as a puck posession style of game basically negates the dump and chase anyway...

It doesn't necessarily negate the physical aspects of the game. The Wings may certainly win more regular season games, but there are a few teams that would try to bully the Wings like the Ducks try to, and that would be just physically taxing.

It doesn't necessarily negate the physical aspects of the game. The Wings may certainly win more regular season games, but there are a few teams that would try to bully the Wings like the Ducks try to, and that would be just physically taxing.

It negates the dangerous, unexpected physical aspects of the game... the bullying doesn't work and look at the Ducks and their success... short of Philly and NY, name me ONE other team that REALLY plays like that in the East... you could just as easily argue the style by the Ducks and Flames on the West as the same... so once again, the difference is minimal at most...

Winnipeg wouldn't affect a shift for East-West most likely anyway, as Winnipeg will probably just be getting its Jets back (Phoenix)

The East-West shift would come into question if/when Quebec gets a team back (Atlanta most likely) and/or if the New York Islanders move to Kansas City

We can speculate all day which teams will move but the point is that two Eastern teams need to move west for Detroit to go back east. If Quebec gets a team like Atlanta then they stay in the East and if Kansas City gets the Islanders then its likely Columbus who moves east. It just makes more geographical sense.

Edit- It looks like Columbus may only be about 100-200 miles MORE east than Detroit. Seniority may get Detroit East.

Edited by UP2HERE

Guest mindfly

In the eastern of course, even the eastern games starts late for us europeans (1AM), but less 4-4:30AM starts..

Also Detroit is in the Eastern Timezone so it's the most fair and logical.

Edited by mindfly

I think the East/West format needs to go away and there needs to be a re-alignment with all conferences essentially enduring the same travel, almost similar to an AL/NL setup in MLB (http://www.letsgowings.com/forums/index.php/topic/63908-re-alignment/)... with that said, if they are going to stay in an East-West format, then there is no doubt the Wings should be in the East, as it should have been all along...

I agree with this, as long as there's no home-ice advantage rule in the finals for whichever conference team wins the All-Star game.

Edited by dropkickshanahans

It has its pros and cons. The biggest thing, obviously, is easier travel since all the East teams are closer and (:blink:) on Eastern time. The East is a bit softer as far as competition, but that might mean the Wings would be less 'battle-tested' come playoff time.

As for major rivalries, we'd feel somewhat more nostalgic. We'd basically be trading the 'Cawks, San Hoe, and the Sucks for CROSBY!11!1!, the Make Me Laughs, and the Toilet Seats. That would be fine.

I would love to see the wings play the caps, pens, leafs, canadiens, devils, and even the islanders several times a year as opposed to only once or never during the season. Ill sacrifice watching the hawks, sharks, and nucks for those other teams.

Better time schedule, better travel (especially in playoffs its crutial). I think its a no-brainer.

You know, people complain about the travel but it really hasn't affected the Wings for a few seasons now. Their road record has been really good over the past three seasons or so. Also, Chicago and Detroit won two of the last three Cups, as Detroit went to the final a second time and pushed it to game 7. So that shorter travel-time for the East hasn't helped them much lately.