• Please log in to reply
137 replies to this topic

#101 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:11 PM

I never said it wasn't. I still think he should have only been suspended for one game.

I never said you said it wasn't. :rolleyes: Your statement made it sound like the suspension was excessive "since" he got the game misconduct.

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#102 Howard He Do It?!

Howard He Do It?!

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,417 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:12 PM

I never said you said it wasn't. :rolleyes: Your statement made it sound like the suspension was excessive "since" he got the game misconduct.

esteef

That's exactly what it was supposed to convey. Thornton was assessed a game misconduct, as required by the rules, so I think he should have been only suspended for 1 game.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Round 1: Red Wings (4) vs. Coyotes (0)
Round 2: Red Wings (0) vs. Sharks (0)

#103 Four

Four

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,143 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:14 PM

I wont say it's blindside considering Perron's whole body, but his face, is facing Thorton. I will call a headshot though.

O.o

#104 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:19 PM

Horrible. I was all for the league doing away with hits like the ones on Booth and Savard, but this is completely different. I should of known better than to think the league could implement and enforce a new rule without completely going overboard.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
I said, Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well.
-Emo Philips

#105 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:31 PM

So this hit gets Joe one less game then the Doan hit which was way worse.

More players are going to start to embellish hits that are good. Even more are going to start playing with their heads down because they think they will be safe from this rule.

Horrible. I was all for the league doing away with hits like the ones on Booth and Savard, but this is completely different. I should of known better than to think the league could implement and enforce a new rule without completely going overboard.

Don't you remember when the new interference call was starting to be made. Every game was darn near a special teams event.

Edited by dragonballgtz, 05 November 2010 - 03:33 PM.

#106 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 03:38 PM

That's exactly what it was supposed to convey. Thornton was assessed a game misconduct, as required by the rules, so I think he should have been only suspended for 1 game.

I see. But if the call is made and the auto game misconduct will always be assesed, it shouldn't really have any bearing on the suspension duration, if there is one. Maybe they thought the hit was severe enough or blatant enough? Maybe Joe's a repeat douchebag? Who knows?

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#107 Statts

Statts

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,469 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:01 PM

Don't you remember when the new interference call was starting to be made. Every game was darn near a special teams event.

Yes but the repercussions are worse IMO. Like you said, players are going to start to think it's ok to skate with your head down while skating through the neutral zone and hitters are going to opt out of laying someone out who is doing so for fear of being suspended.
I got in a fight one time with a really big guy, and he said, I'm going to mop the floor with your face.
I said, You'll be sorry.
He said, Oh, yeah? Why?
I said, Well, you won't be able to get into the corners very well.
-Emo Philips

#108 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,564 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:52 PM

Edit: The solution is to somehow minimize the shoulder and elbow pads so they are not weapons. If a player feels he will not get hurt at all by creaming somebody, he will not think twice about it. But if he knows it's going to hurt him too, he'll back off a lot. Like in th old days of the NFL when everyone arm tackled. Go back to Chelios/Shanahan style pads or something of that sort, with leather helmets. Flame on.

Agreed.

Don Cherry has been on this same issue for nearly a decade...Your absolutely right about reducing the amount of padding in both elbow, and shoulder pads; if it hurts as much to deliver the hit as it does to receive it - then many players will start thinking twice about using their shoulder/elbow as a potential weapon.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#109 uncle ovipositor

uncle ovipositor

Rookie

• Pip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:58 PM

This is another hit where although I don't think there should be a penalty, Joe Thornton should show some respect for the player he is about to hit. YES Perron should should have his head up, yes it was a suicide pass but Thornton knows what the outcome is about to be. This is just lack of respect knowing you are going to cream a guy who doesn't know it is coming.

So, your problem with it is that it was impolite? Heaven forfend!

It's a physical sport and if players can't be bothered to look in front of them then they're going to get hit. It's not just that he should have been looking, it's that his goalie should have been banging out the final 5 seconds before Thornton came out of the box and his D man shouldn't have fed him a suicide pass. You seem to agree with that. How do you hold Thornton responsible if Perron did none of the basics of protecting himself? Perron was on his way through the neutral zone and Thornton's job is to stop him, but you seem to think he should have just gotten out of his way.

If Perron had his head up, he would have taken a hit but been okay. As it stands, he missed a single shift.

#110 TX Wing

TX Wing

Rookie

• Pip
  • 122 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 04:59 PM

Two games...what af****** joke of a league. Honestly, last time I checked it was the Nation HOCKEY League not the National ***** PUCK League... Thornton gets paid to lay people out each night and Perron gets paid to keep hisf****** head up. Who didn't do what they were supposed to?

Edited by TX Wing, 05 November 2010 - 05:12 PM.

#111 mindfly

mindfly

GRRRRR

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,170 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:07 PM

I'll give up on the NHL soon... what af****** disaster it has become...

#112 ricky0034

ricky0034

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 277 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 05:44 PM

from Sniper Archetype on Hfboards:

Posted Image

#113 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 06:44 PM

Couldn't disagree more with this.

I'm 6'4", and the last thing on my mind when I was about to make body contact with an opponent was 'oh - better to lower myself a tad so I don't run the risk of injuring the poor guy'...If anything I kept my elbows in, and tried to used my frame moreso than my shoulder so I wouldn't risk dislocation.

For a taller player to lower his stance would only increase the chance for a lower back injury, and - or being the guy getting knocked on his ass by altering his balance...As for widening your stance - I found that if I missed contact with my opponent I'd risk going knee-on-knee, and that ain't good either.

Guys just gotta keep their heads up.

What are you talking about? I never once said anything remotely to that. I never said anything about not wanting to injure anybody, I just didnt want to be that douchebag that hits guys in the head when i can crush them on the chest instead and delivery and equally painful and devastating check.

You're a hockey player, you back always gunna be F'd up. Bending over to make a hit won't sacrifice your spine if you make the proper adjustments while delivering the hit. It's like lifting up boxes, you can bend over the proper way to lift the box, or you can do it the lazy way and hurt yourself.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#114 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:02 PM

So, your problem with it is that it was impolite? Heaven forfend!

It's a physical sport and if players can't be bothered to look in front of them then they're going to get hit. It's not just that he should have been looking, it's that his goalie should have been banging out the final 5 seconds before Thornton came out of the box and his D man shouldn't have fed him a suicide pass. You seem to agree with that. How do you hold Thornton responsible if Perron did none of the basics of protecting himself? Perron was on his way through the neutral zone and Thornton's job is to stop him, but you seem to think he should have just gotten out of his way.

If Perron had his head up, he would have taken a hit but been okay. As it stands, he missed a single shift.

My problem is that there is a lack of respect in the todays game for other players.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#115 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:04 PM

My problem is that there is a lack of respect in the todays game for other players.

Based on what?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PeYe8UH4Jyo

Looks like the only thing that's changed is media coverage and better cameras.

#116 wingfan13

wingfan13

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 581 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 07:10 PM

Based on what?

Some of those hits are clean, some of them are by dirty players. What is your point ? I guess my comment of "in todays game" should not have been said like that. It doesn't change my opinion on the hit.
"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life son"  Dean Wormer, Animal House

#117 jollymania

jollymania

Heavy Hitter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,610 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:05 PM

The suspension is just disgusting, this is getting sickening, the sport is being ruined
"I assure you the hits along the boards he(Aaron Downey) constantly threw SEVERAL TIMES EVERY SHIFT were far more damaging hits that what Kronwall throws."
- uk_redwing
HockeyArchive Twitter

#118 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 16,931 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:11 PM

Based on what?

you're right. that 5 minute youtube clip accurately represents decades of hockey.

well played sir.

#119 Carman

Carman

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 05 November 2010 - 11:16 PM

you're right. that 5 minute youtube clip accurately represents decades of hockey.

well played sir.

Thanks. Glad to see I have people that see my point of view.

Your support is appreciated.

#120 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 06 November 2010 - 01:56 AM

Agreed.

Don Cherry has been on this same issue for nearly a decade...Your absolutely right about reducing the amount of padding in both elbow, and shoulder pads; if it hurts as much to deliver the hit as it does to receive it - then many players will start thinking twice about using their shoulder/elbow as a potential weapon.

It didn't stop Howe :P