• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

stevkrause

Eaves NEEDS to stay on the PP

Rate this topic

Hehe. I guess Babs isn't a huge fan of Eaves on the PP.

Still, with the return of Cleary, who was on pace for a 30-goal season, Eaves will retreat to a more suitable role, as Babcock put it, ever so delicately, "back to penalty killing and not wasting his time on the power play."

From The Detroit News: http://detnews.com/article/20110201/OPINION03/102010450/Wings’-future-looks-healthy#ixzz1CmuKPfAr

Hehe. I guess Babs isn't a huge fan of Eaves on the PP.

I don't think its about Babs not being a huge of of Eaves on the PP, its just that he's needed elsewhere. While he filled in wonderfully on the PP when guys went down, Eaves has been critical in giving Z, D and other top scorers off on the PK so they can focus their efforts on putting the puck in the net. Obviously Eaves is better than just a fourth line grinder....hell, his draft position alone shows the potential he has, but the Wings are simply too top-heavy up front with a healthy roster and Eaves can be more effective on a lower line than some of the other aging top liners would be.

As awful as it sounds, with putting Eaves back on one of the lower lines it not only allows him better matchups, but more importantly for the future of the Red Wings, it manages Eaves production and makes him more attainable next year.

I don't think its about Babs not being a huge of of Eaves on the PP, its just that he's needed elsewhere. While he filled in wonderfully on the PP when guys went down, Eaves has been critical in giving Z, D and other top scorers off on the PK so they can focus their efforts on putting the puck in the net. Obviously Eaves is better than just a fourth line grinder....hell, his draft position alone shows the potential he has, but the Wings are simply too top-heavy up front with a healthy roster and Eaves can be more effective on a lower line than some of the other aging top liners would be.

As awful as it sounds, with putting Eaves back on one of the lower lines it not only allows him better matchups, but more importantly for the future of the Red Wings, it manages Eaves production and makes him more attainable next year.

Ultimately, this is why the Wings are successful year after year after year. Each player has a role to play & accept it even if they may have the skill to do more if the opportunity was there.

Ultimately, this is why the Wings are successful year after year after year. Each player has a role to play & accept it even if they may have the skill to do more if the opportunity was there.

It's also how they keep their payroll/cap number manageable.

I'd really like to see Babcock try the Ovechkin/Stamkos thing with Eaves and position him on his off wing at the dot. The Wings' powerplay has been far too static lately and it's been too easy to box them out. If Lidstrom and Rafalski did their blueline switch, Lidas fakes the slapper and feeds it against the flow to the low man on the left side it would force the goalie to move one way and then quickly in the opposite direction. The powerplay has become too stagnant and relies too much on screens and tips rather than getting the goalie to move laterally. I'd also like to see Zetterberg on the opposite wing. He's got a very underrated one-timer.

I will put it this way...

Of all the guys that can play on both the PP and the PK, he is the one that I would prefer to only play PK to stay fresh for that and continue being one of our best penalty killers.

So, yes I like him on the PP. But keeping him fresh on the PK is more important to me.

I see the Wings only giving him that much if Tatar is playing all season with us next year. E needs a new contract and our goaltending duo will never be as cheap as it is now IMO.

It will if Howard keeps up his inconsistent, unreliable game that places him as, at best, one of the league's worst starters.

I'd really like to see Babcock try the Ovechkin/Stamkos thing with Eaves and position him on his off wing

Kind of like when Hudler gets more right side time.

Eaves/Filppula/Hudler?

It will if Howard keeps up his inconsistent, unreliable game that places him as, at best, one of the league's worst starters.

I made that comment back before his play went to WTF land. At his current rate he is going to make Ozzie money.

Edited by dragonballgtz

Too bad. Would love to see him on the 2nd PP unit...

Also...

Babs please get Hudler off the PP ffs. Thanks.

Among Red Wing forwards he is tied for sixth in PP goals, fourth in PP assists, and fifth in PP points.

He is tied for 134th in PPG, 72nd in PPA, and 103rd in PPP in the NHL among forwards.

Definitely, get this guy off the PP.

BTW, PP numbers:

Datsyuk 3-7-10

Hudler 2-6-8

Filppula 3-3-6

Bertuzzi 2-4-6

Eaves 2-0-2

Yep, Hudler sure needs to be pulled from the PP.

Ok babs is most likely going yo pull him off of the pp, and use him on the pk.

We saw last night that the Z, Bert, Franz line works pretty well.

Who else thinks Eaves, and his one-timer would work out well on a line with Datsyuk....

dangle, dangle, everyone piles on Dats, sweet pass, one-timer, goal...

Ok babs is most likely going yo pull him off of the pp, and use him on the pk.

We saw last night that the Z, Bert, Franz line works pretty well.

Who else thinks Eaves, and his one-timer would work out well on a line with Datsyuk....

dangle, dangle, everyone piles on Dats, sweet pass, one-timer, goal...

I called this in summer.