Photo
- - - - -

Red Wings Reportedly Interested in a Biter?

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 stevkrause

stevkrause

Legend

• Bronze Booster
  • 5,236 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:02 PM

http://www.thefourth...op25/index.html

Scroll to the bootm - last player listed in top 25

I'm surprised the Wings would actually be interested in pursuing him (unless they're not, and this is all conjecture anyway) given his track record, not that he is a bad player, or wouldn't actually help a legit team, I just find it to be an odd fit here...

Discuss.

All I have to say about Holland and our off-season:

Here in this thread

Here in this one as well

Here in this one too

and finally

Here

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

#2 dragonballgtz

dragonballgtz

Yu-Gi-HOE

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25/index.html

I'm surprised the Wings would actually be interested in pursuing him (unless they're not, and this is all conjecture anyway) given his track record, not that he is a bad player, or wouldn't actually help a legit team, I just find it to be an odd fit here...

Discuss.

With the depth we have when everyone is healthy and seeing how good our depth is playing (sometimes outshining our top two lines) there would be no room for him IMO. Wings would have to let Miller go then rotate him in as well, I just don't see it happening.

#3 seeinred

seeinred

Teemu!

• HoF Booster
  • 7,812 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 12:45 PM

He's one of my favorite players and I've always wanted him in Detroit, but he doesn't really add anything the team needs (except borderline play, an occasional fight, and good shootout numbers).

Posted Image

Crosby's Bettman Real Doll is going to get quite a workout tonight.

#4 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:17 PM

I'm more interested in number 18 on that list. Posted Image
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#5 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 01:19 PM

could be this years Drake, he would give the Wings the one element they are missing thou. a cheap shot artist that keeps the oposition looking over there shoulders!! not sure where they got the Steve Staios rumour from thou? Id take AK but his price tag is to high unless
we off load and i dont see us doing that for a player who could go elsewhere at the end of the year.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#6 wings1110

wings1110

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,147 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 03:24 PM

i dont see them going after a mediocre player unless its adding toughness

#7 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,060 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:28 PM

Good call, he'd be a great addition. Lotsa snarl.

#NOMOREKINDL

#8 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 05:54 PM

why?

2.7 mil for a guy who isn't good enough to be our #6 d-man (when everyone is healthy)

#9 sleepwalker

sleepwalker

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 31 January 2011 - 10:01 PM

Man, Chris Phillips looks older than my father, and my father is in his 60s!

32 years old?!?! Damn...

#10 Shady Ultima

Shady Ultima

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 584 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

I'd like to see Regehr, Beauchemin or Staios before Ruutu.

Ruutu would be alright, the only problem is where would we fit him in?

#11 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 01 February 2011 - 09:04 PM

why?

2.7 mil for a guy who isn't good enough to be our #6 d-man (when everyone is healthy)

He'll be an UFA at seasons end. His cap hit is only 595K at the trade deadline. LTIR'n Modano and Ozzie would cover his cap hit.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#12 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 10:49 PM

He'll be an UFA at seasons end. His cap hit is only 595K at the trade deadline. LTIR'n Modano and Ozzie would cover his cap hit.

player's cap numbers stay the same throughout the season though

#13 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,333 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 11:30 PM

player's cap numbers stay the same throughout the season though

Negative. Their cap hits are on a daily basis.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank

#14 atodaso

atodaso

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 03 February 2011 - 12:33 AM

Negative. Their cap hits are on a daily basis.

right but...

186 days in a regular season.

staios' yearly salary is $2.7 million, making his daily 'hit' $14,516.13.

41 days left in the season gives us a total of ~$595K, which is what you said.

so then, to get staios we would have to clear ~$595K off our salary for those 41 days which would end up being equivalent to a $2.7 million/year salary.

this $2.7 mil number is the player's cap number, which stays the same throughout the season.

i guess we were trying to say the same thing but in different ways. originally it sounded to me like you were saying that all we had to do is get rid of a player who makes $595K per year and we could fit staios in. however, as i was typing this i realised that you were not saying that.

edit: aren't modano, ozzie, homer, and stuart on LTIR already?

also, as far as i understand it, a player going on LTIR can be replaced and a team can go over the cap limit (if they are right up against it at the time of injury) but must become cap compliant as soon as the injured player returns. for example, if we put modano on LTIR and at that time we had $0 in cap space, we could then go over the cap limit by exactly the amount that modano is making, but as soon as modano is taken off LTIR we would have to become cap compliant.

therefore, putting players on LTIR doesn't really solve our problem of freeing up the money for a deadline acquisition.

Edited by atodaso, 03 February 2011 - 01:12 AM.

#15 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 04 February 2011 - 01:18 PM

http://www.thefourthperiod.com/trade_deadline/top25/index.html

i am reportedly interested in both!
Posted Image