• Please log in to reply
35 replies to this topic

#21 Learn2LuvIt

Learn2LuvIt

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 547 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:05 AM

He seriouly doesn't even look like he's trying.

How about late in the game, we've got a potential 3-on-2, and he juts dumps it in on the goalie who freezes the puck. Seriously Johan?

Start moving your feet, start going to dangerous areas, start hitting, shooting, just show some effort. It's infuriating.

I saw the same thing. I've seen this quite a bit more than usual with the Wings as of late. If I remember correctly, after we blew a few big leads (Blues in Jan-3 goal lead; Coyotes in March-3 goal lead, Edmonton in Jan, etc...)....you started hearing the players talking about practicing "getting the puck behind there (opposing team's) D, and battling for the puck down low". I understand this being effective when you have the lead, but I've been seeing it more and more when we DON'T have the lead. Scary. This team thrives on offensive creativity and puck possesion. We are not built to be a dump and chase team. Jiri Hudler is not a player you want dumping and chasing-he's like 5' 7''. Dats, Modano, Cleary,....not dump and chase. At any rate, want to see the Wings get back to their style that's made them so effective.

In this same spirit, I've been pretty critical of Babs as of late. He's got to figure this out and I'll be watching what he does as the playoff's approach. In my eyes, pressure is on Babs this year come playoff time.
ENJOY THE RIDE

#22 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:31 AM

wow he only leads our team in goals while missing games due to injury. Damn you Mule why are you not putting up at least a goal per game. Especially right after you just got back. No excuses. He isnt even worth a lebda just waive him.

One goal in 21 games.

Ken Holland: Hes (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, hes a puck hound.

#23 RedWingsExpert1988

RedWingsExpert1988

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:53 AM

I don't know what it is but I have a feeling these "long-term" contracts effect the way MOST players play. They put little effort because they are pretty much garunteed to get paid. I hope the gm's will realize that and stop giving so many long term contracts.

Good Example was Dustin Penner

Whe you got a contract that is going to expire I notice that players have a great season and the year after( the year they get signed) their level of play drops alot of times.

Maybe Franzen?

#24 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:17 AM

Franzen has been suspect all season. He doesn't skate, he doesn't drive the net, if he doesn't have a shot at a high-slot wrister he seems not to care at all and gives up on the play. He has been the biggest disappointment this season by far, in my opinion.

This is a guy who has the job security of an elite 40+ goal, 70+ point power-forward, but until this season he has relied on potential, the what-if of a full, healthy season. Well here we are, full healthy season, and he phones it in. I say it as much as anyone, regular season is nothing compared to the playoffs, and we've yet to see how he'll play this season, but the trend doesn't look good.

Coming into this season I was a huge Mule fan, thought it was really his time to shine and he has played completely dull. He tends to score his goals 2+ at a time and then drop off the map for a chunk of the schedule. I can't say he has really helped the Wings win many at all this season. Also remember that he had a huge 5-goal night - which was equal parts skill, luck, and "wow, I scored, maybe I should play like I actually give a damn" - and without that he is sitting at 22 goals on the season. When 18% of your total goals are scored in one game of an 82 game schedule, and you don't have the playmaking and defensive ability/effort of Zetterberg or Datsyuk, you might be playing below your pay-grade.

Something has got to change pretty quick, and stay that way, or else this is going to be a long 12 years. If he is phoning it in during his prime, what happens in 3 or 4 years?

#25 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,267 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:27 AM

I'm really concerned. Do goal-scorers genuinely go through 30 game droughts, or whatever his streak is at? He's only scored in a handful of games this season, despite leading the team in scoring. Very bad year for him, hopefully he can rebound and dominate in the playoffs.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#26 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,332 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 09:41 AM

I'm really concerned. Do goal-scorers genuinely go through 30 game droughts, or whatever his streak is at? He's only scored in a handful of games this season, despite leading the team in scoring. Very bad year for him, hopefully he can rebound and dominate in the playoffs.

Franzen has two multi goal games.

Earlier in the season he was scoring very consistently. His play and scoring(along with just about every player not named Helm) has declined since.

Posted Image

#27 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,376 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 01:10 PM

Right now he's reminding me of Luc Robitaille in 2002-03.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#28 blgillett

blgillett

Stevie the one and only Captian

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,103 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:19 PM

he need to get back to the basics maybe put his but back in front of the net and play Homer again for awhile and get some confidence back
"He was standing there like a cigar store Indian" Mickey Redmond
"Holmstrom gets more attention around the net than a pretty girl around closing time!" Mickey Redmond
IPB Image

#29 egroen

egroen

Hall-of-Famer

• Gold Booster
  • 4,619 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 02:53 PM

he need to get back to the basics maybe put his but back in front of the net and play Homer again for awhile and get some confidence back

I'd like to see a little more Holmstrom and a lot less Lang out of him.
Red Kelly #4 and Larry Aurie #6 belong in the rafters!!!

"For my game, I don't need to score the goal," Konstantinov once explained. "I need someone to start thinking about me and forgetting about scoring goals."

#30 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,858 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 03:01 PM

Right now he's reminding me of Luc Robitaille in 2002-03.

Unfortunately, he is reminding me of Cheechoo in 2007-2008. One season, he can't miss, the next season, who is this bum? And it all went downhill from there. This scares the hell out of me. I don't think Mule is THAT bad, but still, 11 more seasons....

#31 wingfan1991

wingfan1991

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,714 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 04:23 PM

Cant believe how much of a non factor he's been in the last 20 games or more. Quite shocking but hopeful playoffs as usual is when he tears it up that's all that matters.

#32 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

He just needs to battle more. The only thing that angers me is his one or two speed burst rushes that he does a game. I wish he did that every time.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#33 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,588 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 29 March 2011 - 05:46 PM

Unfortunately, he is reminding me of Cheechoo in 2007-2008. One season, he can't miss, the next season, who is this bum? And it all went downhill from there. This scares the hell out of me. I don't think Mule is THAT bad, but still, 11 more seasons....

Do you honestly do you think his contract was signed with intention that he is going to play 11 more seasons...cmon

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#34 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,223 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

I'll say it again.

He's not used to playing a full season, which accounts for his not being mentally or physically prepared to play all out every night. He's played great in stretches and spurts, but never throughout an 82 game season, because he's been injured so often in the past.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 29 March 2011 - 06:17 PM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#35 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 07:41 PM

I'll say it again.

He's not used to playing a full season, which accounts for his not being mentally or physically prepared to play all out every night. He's played great in stretches and spurts, but never throughout an 82 game season, because he's been injured so often in the past.

Be nice to get a full season out of Mule
IPB Image

#36 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 29 March 2011 - 08:38 PM

I'll say it again.

Um what? His rookie year he played 80 games. Every season after that, minus his big injury year he has average around 71 games. He's use to playing a full season. If he can play 80 games his rookie year, then he is use to playing. plus, that argument doesn't make any sense when you factor in he excels in the post season when most players are mentally and physically spent.

He's use to playing a full season, he just coasts in the regular season and saves it for the postseason is all.

Edited by Konnan511, 29 March 2011 - 08:40 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".