• Please log in to reply
567 replies to this topic

#521 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,792 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:45 PM

It's not like Hossa gave up on Detroit when it really mattered.

He was a joke in the 2009 playoffs. And absolute joke.

This is what I remember of Hossa and always will. This topic of discussion is ridiculous, Franzen signed here for 1,320,455 per annual caphit UNDER Hossa. Better not see you guys around here cheering when Franzen scores 1.5 average (at least) again this year...
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#522 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:50 PM

assuming the wings mail it in for the last game and chicago wins, and if one of either Nashville (at Blues) or Phoenix (at Sharks) loses in regulation tomorrow, the wings will play the Hawks in round 1.

#523 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,295 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:52 PM

What are the chances we play the Hawks in the first round?

Everyone here seems convinced the Hawks will play Vancouver in the first round.

If Nashville and PHX both get at least a point in their final game AND CHI gets at least one point against us AND LAK lose in regulation AND ANA lose in regualtion, we'd play Chicago. So to recap:

Must get at least a point:
NSH
PHX
CHI

Must lose in regulation:
ANA
LAK

OR

Must get a point:
NSH
PHX

Must Win:
Chi

Must not win:
ANA
LAK

IF NSH, PHX lose in regulation and LAK, ANA do not get more than just one point in their final game, Chicago can clinch the 4th seed!

If Dallas wins in regulation and Chicago loses in regulation, Dallas clinches the 8th seed since both teams will be tied in points and ROW (regulation/overtime wins), but Dallas would have won the season series. Crazy crazy stuff.

Edited by Konnan511, 08 April 2011 - 11:56 PM.

The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#524 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,641 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:54 PM

assuming the wings mail it in for the last game and chicago wins, and if one of either Nashville (at Blues) or Phoenix (at Sharks) loses in regulation tomorrow, the wings will play the Hawks in round 1.

I think we've already mailed it in for Sunday.

I expect Phoenix to lose to the Sharks. However, I think you forgot about Anaheim. Aren't they currently above Chicago in tiebreakers?
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#525 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:55 PM

If Nashville and PHX both get at least a point in their final game AND CHI gets at least one point against us AND LAK lose in regulation AND ANA lose in regualtion, we'd play Chicago. So to recap:

that won't happen because anaheim plays at LA saturday. because of that, chicago can only go as high as 5th

Edited by jeff48109, 08 April 2011 - 11:58 PM.

#526 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 08 April 2011 - 11:57 PM

I think Anaheim has the tie breaker over everyone. Were so f***ed if we get the Hawks.

Posted Image

#527 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,641 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:00 AM

I think Anaheim has the tie breaker over everyone. Were so f***ed if we get the Hawks.

Without Zetterberg, we're totally outmanned against Chicago when it comes to star players. They have too much firepower that we don't seem able to match right now.

I don't expect Babcock to care enough about this to play Datsyuk and Lidstrom on Sunday. Then again, they both played tonight, and we still sucked.

Edited by GMRwings1983, 09 April 2011 - 12:01 AM.

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#528 10 Minute Misconduct

10 Minute Misconduct

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,551 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

Best thing to do would beat the Hawks in regulation and knock them out if Dallas wins.

Then whatever happens after that is fine :P

Posted Image

#529 jeff48109

jeff48109

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,521 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 12:03 AM

I think we've already mailed it in for Sunday.

I expect Phoenix to lose to the Sharks. However, I think you forgot about Anaheim. Aren't they currently above Chicago in tiebreakers?

anaheim currently is, but they play LA tmr, and assuming the Hawks beat the wings on sunday, they will overtake either Anaheim or LA (only 1 of them). regardless of the result of Anaheim-LA, chicago will move up one spot if they beat us.

that leaves Phoenix and nashville. if they both lose in regulation, chicago moves past both of them. so chicago moves an additional 2 spots up to 5th. however, if only one of phoenix or nashville loses in regulation, chicago will move up only 1 additional spot, up to 6th. if both Phoenix and nashville get 1 point, chicago finishes 7th.

i agree with you that Phoenix probably loses to SJ. nashville is on a roll so they should beat St Louis. that will mean we face Chicago in round 1.

its late here so i may have made a mistake, but that's how i think it breaks down after all of tonight's results, and updating the standings.

Edited by jeff48109, 09 April 2011 - 12:07 AM.

#530 matt198913

matt198913

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,972 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:29 AM

Not worried at all they sleepwalked through this game cmon lgw.... they are 18-13 in April in the regular season since 2002. Their best April came in 2006 under Babcock where the Wings were outed in the first round by Edmonton. Their worst April came in 2002 where they won the Stanley Cup!!! Point is this does not matter all that matters to the Wings franchise starts on Wednesday night.
BINGO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#531 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 559 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 01:35 AM

Phoenix beat San Jose in regulation and they both play each other again tomorrow (or, actually, later tonight). So we'll know if we can get second or not before Sunday's game.

Dallas plays later in the day on Sunday against a non-playoff team in Minnesota. You would have to think that if Chicago loses to us in regulation, there's no way Dallas loses their game considering it would guarantee them a playoff spot.

Then again, we all know the Wings probably won't show up on Sunday while Chicago will obviously be desperate. Still, it'd be nice to embarrass the 'hawks out of the playoffs. <_<

#532 aMonster

aMonster

Rookie

• Pip
  • 167 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 03:02 AM

Mark my words, Detroit will win their last game against Chicago! Tonight's loss went farther than the Wings are happy with but they let up to keep Chicago in 8th place so the Hawks would face the Canucks in round #1.

#533 Hockeymom1960

Hockeymom1960

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,215 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 07:50 AM

Mark my words, Detroit will win their last game against Chicago! Tonight's loss went farther than the Wings are happy with but they let up to keep Chicago in 8th place so the Hawks would face the Canucks in round #1.

Well if that's the case, you guys better destroy them :cool:

I guess what pisses me off the most is that most of these players are getting millions of dollars to put on a show and they are hosing the fans who spend their hard earned money to see them. For crying out loud, play to win all the time. I wonder how they'd feel if the fans didn't care and there was a half-assed full arena since they are playing half-assed. :angry:

#534 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,447 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 08:19 AM

Well if that's the case, you guys better destroy them :cool:

I guess what pisses me off the most is that most of these players are getting millions of dollars to put on a show and they are hosing the fans who spend their hard earned money to see them. For crying out loud, play to win all the time. I wonder how they'd feel if the fans didn't care and there was a half-assed full arena since they are playing half-assed. :angry:

I stood by a dad and his 12 year old son at the glass during warm-ups last weekend in Nashville. It was pretty clear they were not wealthy, and they told me that it was the boy's first game in person, his birthday. He was star-struck and almost mute, staring at his heroes.

I thought of them last night, and remembered watching the Wings go down three goals in Nashville -- but then rallying and playing like champions, winning the game in OT. Not that it should have gotten that far, but they came back and played like they know how.

I am disappointed in them not playing with any intent to win in front of their last home crowd this season. The Wings admitted to the press that their heads were not in the game last night. That ought to make them feel shame.

Hope last night was just mailing it in since I know they can play better... but I agree with H-Mom. It's not right to not show up every game. If I turned in a performance like that at my job, I would be on the street.

Of course, I don't have a million dollar contract which says I don't have to perform to expectations, either. Sunday's game is on NBC. It's in the arena of the defending champs who made the Wings look like chumps in their last home game in front of their fans. No one wants the Wings to win, so I expect a loss there, if they don't show up with their heads on straight.

This team can take any contender in round one. If they want to...

Edited by puckloo39, 09 April 2011 - 08:26 AM.

puckloo39dom.jpg

"There is no passion to be found in playing small -- in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living."

Nelson Mandela - RIP  1918-2013

Better than Ever

#535 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:30 AM

"Turning point."

"Flip the switch."

"Sure, they'll be fine."

"Meaningless game."

All bulls***. Despite what some of you may think, I hate having been right about this team for the past 3 months. :angry:

If we suddenly see a different Red Wings team in the playoffs, of course, I'll eat my hat. But frankly, I think they'll be out on the links in a little over a week.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#536 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:35 AM

There is no way in hell the refs will let us knock Chicago out of the playoffs. I'm telling you.

I predict we have at least 1 goal called back and Chicago has 3 more pwer plays than us.

This has been my greatest fear. I posted a lot about playing Chicago back in the playoff predictions thread.

I would rather see Chicago take on those 2 big boys in 1st and 2nd but no, our luck is we are dumb and make things as hard as possible on ourselves. We are the one team Chicago has to prove something against.
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

This was so funny I had to set it as my sig.

#537 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 09:45 AM

I stood by a dad and his 12 year old son at the glass during warm-ups last weekend in Nashville. It was pretty clear they were not wealthy, and they told me that it was the boy's first game in person, his birthday. He was star-struck and almost mute, staring at his heroes.

I thought of them last night, and remembered watching the Wings go down three goals in Nashville -- but then rallying and playing like champions, winning the game in OT. Not that it should have gotten that far, but they came back and played like they know how.

I am disappointed in them not playing with any intent to win in front of their last home crowd this season. The Wings admitted to the press that their heads were not in the game last night. That ought to make them feel shame.

Hope last night was just mailing it in since I know they can play better... but I agree with H-Mom. It's not right to not show up every game. If I turned in a performance like that at my job, I would be on the street.

Of course, I don't have a million dollar contract which says I don't have to perform to expectations, either. Sunday's game is on NBC. It's in the arena of the defending champs who made the Wings look like chumps in their last home game in front of their fans. No one wants the Wings to win, so I expect a loss there, if they don't show up with their heads on straight.

This team can take any contender in round one. If they want to...

Yeah, you know...i just don't buy it that their heads weren't in the game. I mean, that is obviously the case, but the problem is not a superficial is my point. How can you not have your head in the game for many games lately? There's something wrong here with this team. Maybe the core on this team has had too many 'big games'. Maybe they are spent. Maybe other teams have just caught up to them and are faster. I don't know. All I know is this is a relatively new problem with a Red Wings team in the last several years. There are always occasions where a team just takes a game off or can't get things together. But not like this. This is something else. I hope I"M just reading more into it, but I don't think so.

This team has played lowsy defense for many months and that means their work ethic has been lacking...FOR MONTHS. This is not a one or two game problem.

Yeah, if the wings show up and destroy a team in the first round I will change my tune, but they're going to have to show me. Because right now, I do not have faith in this team going anywhere. Early predictions were a second round exit because of the strength of the west, but now I am not sure we make it out of round 1, especially if we draw the hawks.

How many games now have the wings been literally booed off JLA Ice in the last month?
U GUYS ARE FUKIN ANYOING IM GONNA COME DOWN THERE AND KILL ALL YALL THE ONLY THING THAT SAVED UR TEAM WAS OSGOOD AND OSSGOOD SUKS 2 JUST LIKE UR WHOLE FUKIN TEAM I HOPE U HEARD THIS AND THINK CAUSE ALL I GOT TO SAY TO U IS UR A BUNCH OF FUKIN IDIOTS BARONS A HOOSER CUSE HE WENT TO UR TEAM AND I HOPE U GUYS SHOULD SEND UR TEAM TO ANOTHER CITY CAUSE U GUYS ARE A BUNCH OF FUKIN WHINERS GO CANUCKS GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! --- A canucks fan on stltoday.com

#538 Vladifan

Vladifan

Legend

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,759 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 10:45 AM

What are the chances we play the Hawks in the first round?

Everyone here seems convinced the Hawks will play Vancouver in the first round.

Maybe. But some of us only fervently hope they have to play each other because no matter who wins that matchup, they will wear each other down.

"He even ate with women who at that time were accorded the same status as the family donkey. Are we willing to break bread with, say, child sex slaves, transgender teens and undocumented workers? Because when Jesus comes back to Earth, that's where he'll be hanging."
You can easily judge the character of a man by how he treats those who can do nothing for him.

#539 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,039 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:28 AM

Not worried at all they sleepwalked through this game cmon lgw.... they are 18-13 in April in the regular season since 2002. Their best April came in 2006 under Babcock where the Wings were outed in the first round by Edmonton. Their worst April came in 2002 where they won the Stanley Cup!!! Point is this does not matter all that matters to the Wings franchise starts on Wednesday night.

Thats a great stat, but I'm not concerned about their play in April as am about their play from December to April. This isn't us coasting into the playoffs, this is how we've played for 3/4 of the season.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#540 Firehawk

Firehawk

Don't Touch My Pop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,857 posts

Posted 09 April 2011 - 11:51 AM

Yeah, and in most of the previous seasons we have had a top 5 defense most of those years, including a hall of fame lineup in 2002. While I do like to compare wings teams to previous wings teams, I don't like to do that right now, because this team over a substantial period of time now have shown they can't play defense to the level they used to.