#41 Majsheppard

Majsheppard

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,512 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 10:44 PM

No, but they play harder.
"It is a lot easier to be an ******* to words than to people"-xkcd

Tootoo does NOT belong on this team. He is classless and I would rather see the Wings be bad than classless. I feel the same way about Bertuzzi as well, but he at least CAN make the team better. With Tootoo the team becomes worse and in danger of being classless. Would you have liked Claude on the team? Or Roy? No. So why would you be okay with that POS.

This thread has been closed due to emotions being higher than people's ability to read, interpret, and properly respond to simple posts.

#42 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 04 May 2011 - 11:45 PM

If Setoguchi's first goal and Ferriero's OT winner are any indication, the boys need to head back to the arcade and brush up on their pinball.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#43 Grim

Grim

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,620 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 02:51 PM

they always seem to connect with their cycling passes. they rarely have issues clearing the zone. our guys seem to go out of their way to make the high-risk pass or worse yet; soft, weak pass.

#44 sibiriak

sibiriak

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,644 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:50 PM

C'mon now, the names on paper don't win hockey games. Zetterberg and Franzen are obviously playing hurt, which leaves the Wings with basically one scoring line, Rafalski is pass his prime by quite a while, , so is Draper, Ericsson is not playing nearly as well as he did last year. Filppula is not really a top scoring line center. Datsyuk is the only one that has success, but he needs help.
On the other side of the red line you have an up-coming talented hungry team, and their veterans, even Thornton, are finally playing up to their potential. Their coach knows our team inside and out. They beat us last year, and got even better. We didn't get significantly better since last year. Why is it a surprise in any way, that we are losing again?

#45 MGreenberg

MGreenberg

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 662 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 03:51 PM

No, but they play harder.

Yeah, pretty much this. They are not a better team but they are a team with better chemistry and drive right now.

#46 CaliWingsNut

CaliWingsNut

PeeWee Bettman

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 05:53 PM

sharks are cheapest team in the nhl at the moment. wings has always been having problem playing against cheap teams.

Not true. Not even true in just the west. Not even true for the remaining playoff teams.

Sharks get away with a lot of bad calls, but are not a cheap team.

Figures don't lie, but liars sure figure. - Mark Twain

#47 St. Michael (the Red Wing)

St. Michael (the Red Wing)

Heavenly With the Puck

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,822 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:26 PM

The Sharks top guns are out performing our top guns. Howard has been better than Niemi but just not good enough. IMO we've ouplayed the Sharks games 1 and 3 but have nothing to show for it. As for players, the Sharks have key guys at the right time killing us. The Sharks have imo have out played us as a team overall these last 2 seasons. Dunno if it has something to do with McLellan or not as well knowing our system.

Edited by St. Michael (the Red Wing), 05 May 2011 - 06:27 PM.

#48 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 06:41 PM

The Sharks top guns are out performing our top guns. Howard has been better than Niemi but just not good enough. IMO we've ouplayed the Sharks games 1 and 3 but have nothing to show for it. As for players, the Sharks have key guys at the right time killing us. The Sharks have imo have out played us as a team overall these last 2 seasons. Dunno if it has something to do with McLellan or not as well knowing our system.

I disagree. Marleau, Heatley and Thornton disappeared as usual, Setoguchi disappeared until last night. The only individual player giving the Wings nightmares is Pavelski, as usual. I would say their second-tier guys are outplaying our second-tier guys.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#49 BuckeyeWingsfan80

BuckeyeWingsfan80

The more the better

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,913 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

Yeah, pretty much this. They are not a better team but they are a team with better chemistry and drive right now.

How do you figure that?

They finished with more points, more wins, less goals allowed (and it's not close) and in a tougher division then the Wings had to deal with.

Add to that, they are within 60 minutes of sweeping the Wings right out of the playoffs AFTER the Wings were dominant in the 1st round.

The Sharks are a better team than the Wings. Just admit it and move on.

Hopefully Holland sees it and starts to change things for the better. Keeping the status quo isn't going to help this franchise take the next step.
Don't take it from fans on LGW, take it from his peers. NHL players have spoken and they think Tootoo is the dirtiest player in the league.

Get a clue already.

#50 azshark

azshark

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:53 PM

I disagree. Marleau, Heatley and Thornton disappeared as usual, Setoguchi disappeared until last night. The only individual player giving the Wings nightmares is Pavelski, as usual. I would say their second-tier guys are outplaying our second-tier guys.

Wow! What series are you watching?

Heatley's assist on White's game #2 goal.

Marleau's back-checking and pk play.

Thornton has been a beast this series and last. He's playing with more confidence than ever. He's all over the ice...transition, forechecking, backchecking, attacking the net and making some killer assists.

If all you look at is the scoring stats, your argument stands.

#51 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,800 posts

Posted 05 May 2011 - 10:56 PM

...REDWIN ATTACK!....
....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#52 Andy Pred 48

Andy Pred 48

Coming soon,"the slovak line" Marek and 2 Toms!

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,865 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 01:16 AM

I think that the teams are pretty much on a par with each other. I just have a feeling that we have 4 or 5 guys
playing that are carrying injuries, and its catching up with us. Maybe we can put in one big game tonight to
pro-long the inevitable, but its going to be another long summer.
"What are you guys doing?" Reggie Dunlop
"Putting on the foil coach" Jeff Hanson
"Yeah, every game, you want some coach?" Steve Hanson
"Er, no. No thanks guys." Reggie Dunlop
"Make sure they don't leave the bench!" Reggie Dunlop.

#53 sinbin

sinbin

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 343 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 09:42 AM

No!!! Both teams are mirrored images of one another overall. Physically, SJ is bigger and faster.....but lack experience....The hockey gods are smiling upon the Sharks with puck luck at the moment and are testing Detroit's faith. 2 lucky deflections are the difference in this series. ( and poor PK) I see a win tonight! They know what it takes! Let's go boys!:siren:
Don't be fooled by what you see......

#54 Ray1905

Ray1905

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

Detroit is simply not fast enough to beat San Jose on a regular basis.
Read less, more TV.

#55 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 11:41 AM

Ok. My 2 cents. The teams are pretty even as far as skill. Our D-Men are better, the forwards are a wash and the goaltenders are close. Coaching is also close.

But skill alone doesn't win playoff games. Determination, health and luck all play a part. Franzen is not 100% and Z is probably not up to speed after sitting for 2 weeks.

The Sharks are hungrier. That is obvious.

The Sharks have gotten almost all of the breaks. Overtimes are generally a coin flip. Either team can win.

No team could possibly play 5 OT games in 2 rounds of playoffs and win all 5. It's just very improbable. But the Sharks have done just that.

I'm not bitter about it - it sucks but that is the way it goes. Are the Sharks truely better than us as all the experts are saying. I don't believe so. Last year we were clearly gassed so IMO that doesn't prove anything. This year we lost 2 games in OT and the other in regulation - all by 1 goal. If a bounce had gone our way we could still be very much in the series.

I just hope that if we don't advance, either SJ or Vancouver lifts the Cup because that means next year they will not be nearly as hungry...

How do you figure that?

They finished with more points, more wins, less goals allowed (and it's not close) and in a tougher division then the Wings had to deal with.

Add to that, they are within 60 minutes of sweeping the Wings right out of the playoffs AFTER the Wings were dominant in the 1st round.

The Sharks are a better team than the Wings. Just admit it and move on.

Hopefully Holland sees it and starts to change things for the better. Keeping the status quo isn't going to help this franchise take the next step.

News Flash! What they did in the regular season means nothing. Look at Washington.

We have played 3 games and they won 2 in OT so that makes them better? Really?
Do or do not. There is no try

#56 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,742 posts

Posted 06 May 2011 - 12:03 PM

Ok. My 2 cents. The teams are pretty even as far as skill. Our D-Men are better, the forwards are a wash and the goaltenders are close. Coaching is also close.

But skill alone doesn't win playoff games. Determination, health and luck all play a part. Franzen is not 100% and Z is probably not up to speed after sitting for 2 weeks.

The Sharks are hungrier. That is obvious.

The Sharks have gotten almost all of the breaks. Overtimes are generally a coin flip. Either team can win.

No team could possibly play 5 OT games in 2 rounds of playoffs and win all 5. It's just very improbable. But the Sharks have done just that.

I'm not bitter about it - it sucks but that is the way it goes. Are the Sharks truely better than us as all the experts are saying. I don't believe so. Last year we were clearly gassed so IMO that doesn't prove anything. This year we lost 2 games in OT and the other in regulation - all by 1 goal. If a bounce had gone our way we could still be very much in the series.

I just hope that if we don't advance, either SJ or Vancouver lifts the Cup because that means next year they will not be nearly as hungry...

News Flash! What they did in the regular season means nothing. Look at Washington.

We have played 3 games and they won 2 in OT so that makes them better? Really?

I disagree. I don't think there's anything improbable about winning 5 OT games. It means they have a knack for scoring big goals and for not allowing the puck in their net when the other team gets chances. It's called being clutch.

The Wings, on the other hand, are terrible in OT every year for about the last decade. That's not a coincidence either.

San Jose just feels more comfortable in that situation and so they make the big play. Sometimes, there's a thin line between winning and losing and this team is always on the right side of that line against us.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.