• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 russianswede919293

russianswede919293

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,535 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 07:06 PM

Ritola has refused his AHL assignment and was placed on $125 waivers for the purpose of relieving him from his contract so he can go play in Europe.

http://www.tampabay....ghtning/1200615

http://www.hockeydb....y.php?pid=87882

Anybody still upset that the Wings let him go...I'm not.

Good luck to him, and I hope he can make it to the NHL, but I don't see it happening. I didn't see it when the Wings waived him and I still don't see it now.

#2 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

He's nothing special, and he's apparently got a bad attitude as well.

#3 Aussie_Wing

Aussie_Wing

Mursak

• Bronze Booster
  • 8,550 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:26 PM

See, now you're just making things up.

GM Steve Yzerman said, "I understand where he is coming from and I respect where he's coming from. ... This enables him to move on with his hockey career."

Ken Holland: Heís (Mursak) a young guy, provides energy, can skate, heís a puck hound.

#4 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 08:28 PM

See, now you're just making things up.

What else do you think he'd say? "Ritola is a terrible person"? That really wouldn't be like Stevie.

How many players outright refuse an AHL assignment? I know you're very attached to Ritola, sure. Wasn't it you who told me that he would be "bringing it" this season?

#5 RedWingBlitz

RedWingBlitz

Draftee

• 9 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:36 PM

play in europe or play in the ahl?

hudler went to play in the KHL, so it doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

#6 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 10:43 PM

It's very possible that he'll make a lot more money in Europe.

#7 Heaten

Heaten

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,639 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:07 PM

I don't see anything wrong with it. The kid has been a trooper since DRWs drafted him. He's worked hard and evolved his game as the DRWs asked him to do. When he finally gets his shot, he's waived and Tampa picks him ups, which is probably encouraging to him because they don't have the depth the Wings have. He played some games in Tampa, then he acquires major ear problems which set him back even more.

He's become a fringe NHL player and he doesn't want to be a career AHLer. The KHL will take him with open arms, give him ice time, and pay him decent cash. He's worked hard and deserves to play where he's happy and makes good money. Like I said, the guy was a trooper, was dedicated to cracking the NHL, and is a hard worker trying to better his game. It's not like Yzerman 'needs' him in the AHL playing.

#8 Konnan511

Konnan511

#FreePulkkinen

• HoF Booster
  • 10,339 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:20 PM

play in europe or play in the ahl?

hudler went to play in the KHL, so it doesnt seem like that big of a deal.

As far as I know, he can't go to the KHL this season due to unwritten agreements between the NHL and KHL and transfer agreements. He either plays in the AHL or sits out if the TBL don't play him.
The Best Of BC
HankthaTank
- Squirrels, they hate to be thrown. / Why is the magical unicorn named Brian... Jedi - I just downloaded the "kids" book, "Go the F--k to Sleep" as narrated by Samuel L. Jackson on my kindle. I am now ready to be a daddy. / *Checks Router* No, I'm positive I didn't hit the "Wings Defense Sucks" button. Electrophile - I'm just glad the Wings were able to win despite the Curse of Brian. ACallToArms - I think Trey needs to put something about payroll tax and deferred income in his sig... Edicius - I'd rather [have] a soundbite of me saying "I like (man sausage)" rather than "I like Crosby".

#9 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:35 PM

Posted Image

#10 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,183 posts

Posted 08 November 2011 - 11:50 PM

Maybe he just didnít ďhear" them properly when they asked him to go to the AHL. Sorry, that was a bad joke.

I have no ill will towards him, and canít blame him for wanting to go to Europe. Best of luck.
"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#11 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

Well, we all know now with a fair degree of certainty that he wouldn't have played well enough to remain with the Wings had we kept him.

#12 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,498 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:38 AM

What else do you think he'd say? "Ritola is a terrible person"? That really wouldn't be like Stevie.

How many players outright refuse an AHL assignment? I know you're very attached to Ritola, sure. Wasn't it you who told me that he would be "bringing it" this season?

I take it more as him refusing assignment to facilitate a transfer to Europe. I'm guessing if he felt he had a shot to make it back to the NHL, he's go to the AHL and do his time, but the money in Europe is better than the AHL, so if there is no chance of playing in the NHL, why stick it out in the AHL? Especially for a European player.

#13 sputman

sputman

4th Line Baggage

• HoF Booster
  • 3,077 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 10:42 AM

Posted Image

:shock:
Posted Image

#14 luvmnger

luvmnger

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 512 posts

Posted 09 November 2011 - 06:45 PM

:shock:

I KNEW IT! matt damon is the next X-MEN character!

weird having a long tongue though...but the ladies will love it!

(i kid...i kid...)

hahaha.
Dino Ciccarelli will always be #1