• Please log in to reply
293 replies to this topic

#261 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:10 AM

Nothing like padding stats against two bottom feeder teams. Plays well in a blow out game, actually contributed in only one goal with a nice assist, the other two were secondary assists of the most fortunate variety. He has played well and all, but hardly something outrageous, the hockey world is back on his jock all over again. Same old, same old.

Look on TSN.ca and they are touting his performance as "playmaker and agitator", HA. As per the usual, the kid is, well, a kid. Lays a few two, three crosschecks first, someone pushes back, and he tosses a pretty blatant elbow, then steps out and lets Kunitz deal with the fall out. Why does the hockey world have to drop to its knee for such a little puke? Why does one of the most talented/the most promoted star in the game have to be such a doucher?

Home games, lopsided victories and two teams in the toilet. One game against a halfway decent team and he ends up in the box three times, no points, and a Pens loss. Not knocking his stats per se, but rather the league falling back into its same old ways, a few good months without the endless Crosby talk and now its back in full gear. Disappointing and undeserving for such a little turd. Long overdue that the league's poster boy and Bettman's favorite punk nephew grows up and starts properly filling the former role instead of the latter.

Haven't heard the kid's comments when or if he was asked about the elbow, but I can picture the same personality-less, monotone, pouty blank response. "When I said I wanted headshots out of the game, I meant hits to MY head". Tool.

#262 NeedMoreToughness

NeedMoreToughness

Prospect

• 41 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:21 AM

Crosby will soon catch Zetterberg....that's embarassing, crosby shouldn't be THAT much better, but he is at the moment.

#263 BlueMonk

BlueMonk

Cleaner

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 5,591 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:08 PM

http://paranoidpuck....bers-on-versus/

The backlash is palpable but the league just doesn't learn. Promoting a player is one thing; that's good. But what they're doing with this guy is cartoonish. They don't get it, and I suspect they never will.
"Just charge me with the usual." -Bob Probert

#264 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:18 PM

http://paranoidpuck.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/sids-return-draws-disappointing-numbers-on-versus/

The backlash is palpable but the league just doesn't learn. Promoting a player is one thing; that's good. But what they're doing with this guy is cartoonish. They don't get it, and I suspect they never will.

This linked article was even funnier:

Pierre McGuire "verbally fellating" Crosby

Sidney Crosby's(notes) four-point night in his return to NHL action was the stuff of hockey fables, which is code for "an event easily drenched in shrill, saccharine cliché that makes the climax of a Disney children's sports film look cynical by comparison."

So in a way, Pierre McGuire was both the most appropriate and the most unfortunate announcer to serve as a color commentator for Crosby's big night; standing between the benches for VERSUS, serving up his usual platter of mistimed trivia and verbal fellation of star players.

McGuire has fawned over the Pittsburgh Penguins captain before, so one anticipated it would happen again if Crosby managed to accomplish anything of significance during his return against the New York Islanders. But a four-point night transformed McGuire into a close-talking hybrid of Paula Abdul and Jeff Craig of "Sixty Second Preview."

Here are 11 of Pierre McGuire's ickiest/weirdest/oddest actual lines about Sidney Crosby's comeback on VERSUS Monday night, taken out of context and best read in his distinctive voice:

11. "How about that strength down low? Wow."

10. "When he played for Team Canada at World Juniors as a 16 year old in Helsinki Finland where it's dark 23 out of 24 hours, he was carrying the stick bag and it was minus 40 degrees."

9. "The only thing he's havin' a tough time doin'? Growin' a mustache."

8. "Everybody in the League better shake their head! This guy's for real and this team's for real!"

7. "He does it sooo many different ways."

6. "I think if you were to go on a pro-rated basis, he's on pace for 240 points."

5. "He's Peter Forsberg(notes), for those who remember the great Peter Forsberg, Sidney Crosby's Peter Forsberg with more pure finishing ability than Peter Forsberg had."

4. "You talk about the all-around superstar that Sidney Crosby is, it's been a Crosby-palooza tonight."

3. "The pictures don't lie. So just digest the pictures and the artistry."

2. "Don't lose the smile keep havin' fun Sid."

And the No. 1 ickiest Pierre McGuire line about Sidney Crosby's comeback with the Pittsburgh Penguins on Monday night …

1. "They wanna see a little 87 magic. They got a little taste, they want a little more."

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#265 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:29 PM

a 14 page thread mostly about how Crosby gets too much attention. :lol:

#266 b.shanafan14

b.shanafan14

One good Swede deserves another!

• Silver Booster
  • 2,872 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:47 PM

http://paranoidpuck.wordpress.com/2011/11/23/sids-return-draws-disappointing-numbers-on-versus/

Pittsburgh has been playing great without Sid all season, but they have been promoted just like any other team. No excessive hype about how well Neal is playing or how Malkin has turned it around. For a few brief months, the league was somewhat objective and unbiased on who was making headlines and promotional attention. Since Sidney Crosby has returned, its nothing but him on NHL and TSN.

Its not about teams, several talented individuals, or even one team, but rather a single talented individual. After the league put all their eggs in one basket and that basket got hurt, you'd think they would have learned something by now. Instead they are taking the stance "We dodged a bullet there, hey everybody: SID'S BACK!! We were lost without him!"

To 90% of fans, Sid has become the annoying guy at a party. Everything is going fine, everyone is having fun, and then HE shows up. Changes the music, creeps on the girls, and is quick to start childish fights, due mostly to his LMS.

#267 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 12:59 PM

Crosby might be the only thing left with the slightest chance of waking up Zetterberg.

#268 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,077 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 01:07 PM

Crosby = John Cena

All the fans hate him because he gets way too much attention.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#269 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 03:55 PM

Crosby-palooza!!

esteef
"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#270 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:47 PM

Hardly the same. Mostly what is being talked about is the the media coverage of him. Not LGW. But i will say this. Would love to never see him brought up again on here. It should turn into a month ban if you say his name. =)

BTW

way to show that "CLASS OF THE LEAGUE" crosby

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=WIcrxJR_WVs

Edited by hillbillywingsfan, 26 November 2011 - 04:55 PM.

msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#271 55fan

55fan

All mine 'til 2-0-1-9

• HoF Booster
  • 12,942 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 04:57 PM

I don't know about the rest of you, but I've noticed that since Crosby's return, the stores are more crowded and it gets dark earlier. On the flip side, people seem to be adding lights to their homes that are quite festive.

Oh, the power of Sidney.

Edited by 55fan, 26 November 2011 - 04:57 PM.

#272 toby91_ca

toby91_ca

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 8,524 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:04 PM

Hardly the same. Mostly what is being talked about is the the media coverage of him. Not LGW. But i will say this. Would love to never see him brought up again on here. It should turn into a month ban if you say his name. =)

BTW

Oh, BTW, you are missing quite a bit of the back story in what led up to that incident in front of the net. I didn't see the game, but I have heard from several and I've heard several guys suggesting they loved seeing that from Crosby. I can tell you for sure that his coach and his teammates liked it a lot. That was the 3rd or 4th time in short order that folino had blantantly ran Fleury. He should have expected a lot worse than he got. It really shouldn't have had to come from Crosby, but it did.

#273 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Truculence.

• HoF Booster
  • 19,095 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:30 PM

Crosby = John Cena

All the fans hate him because he gets way too much attention.

Cena's a terrible wrestler though, Crosby at least is the best player in the league :hehe: Both of them are well overdue for a heel turn though.

#NOMOREKINDL

#274 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 09:56 PM

Shhhhhh, you're ruining it! :lol:

Oh, BTW, you are missing quite a bit of the back story in what led up to that incident in front of the net. I didn't see the game, but I have heard from several and I've heard several guys suggesting they loved seeing that from Crosby. I can tell you for sure that his coach and his teammates liked it a lot. That was the 3rd or 4th time in short order that folino had blantantly ran Fleury. He should have expected a lot worse than he got. It really shouldn't have had to come from Crosby, but it did.

And as a result, it turns Crosby into even more of a hypocrite than he was before.

"HEAD SHOTS BAD! (unless me or Cooke are doing them!)"
  • Nev likes this

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#275 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 23,360 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:00 PM

Dang, I'd be pissed if I were a Habs fan.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#276 edicius

edicius

Professional drinker.

• HoF Booster
  • 25,212 posts

Posted 26 November 2011 - 10:44 PM

Dang, I'd be pissed if I were a Habs fan.

Just another case of IOKIYAP.

ABV_sig.png

Can't listen live? Check out MoreLikeRadio.org for show archives!

#277 greenrebellion

greenrebellion

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 761 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:19 AM

BTW

I'd be up for that, I can't even come to my beloved LGW board without seeing his name mentioned in every freaking thread. Granted its pretty much always in a negative light, but I'm just sick of seeing his name, period, and this board isn't helping in that regard. :scared:

#278 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:23 AM

It doesn't matter that they were running Fleury. I get the couple crosschecks but the elbow to the head is way over the line, especially from someone coming back from a concussion. The way to handle it is to square up to the guy and go after him, not throw elbows to the head.

People can pretend like that's great to see because it's Crosby. Like it's him being gritty and showing passion. But if that were a Matt Cooke or a Steve Ott, it's nothing but a dirty cheap shot and they're likely having a conversation with Shanny

Edited by haroldsnepsts, 27 November 2011 - 12:24 AM.

#279 hillbillywingsfan

hillbillywingsfan

Awww poor butch

• Gold Booster
  • 3,623 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:29 AM

It doesn't matter that they were running Fleury. I get the couple crosschecks but the elbow to the head is way over the line, especially from someone coming back from a concussion. The way to handle it is to square up to the guy and go after him, not throw elbows to the head.

People can pretend like that's great to see because it's Crosby. Like it's him being gritty and showing passion. But if that were a Matt Cooke or a Steve Ott, it's nothing but a dirty cheap shot and they're likely having a conversation with Shanny

But but but he was showing grit and taking up for his goalie. He should get a pass for the elbows to the head. Come on now you are not showing compassion for him. He was just out like eleventyseven games for a concussion.
msg-10491-1258682020.jpg

I LIVE IN TEXAS SO I DON'T DESERVE HOCKEY

#280 haroldsnepsts

haroldsnepsts

"Classy"

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 17,302 posts

Posted 27 November 2011 - 12:33 AM

But but but he was showing grit and taking up for his goalie. He should get a pass for the elbows to the head. Come on now you are not showing compassion for him. He was just out like eleventyseven games for a concussion.

Cherry even called him out on it on HNIC.

If he wants to play that way, he better expect it to come around his way.

And I've done mostly nothing but defend Crosby in this thread. But crap like that is why he's so easy to hate.