• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
slavetothehotlight

Acquiring a top six forward

Rate this topic

That is true, if Lidstrom is gone then sure there's more money. But I think we'd all like to imagine a 2012-13 Red Wings team with Lidstrom and some prize UFA or trade acquisition.

We are in agreement on this also. I hope Nick plays forever, in fact I bet his corpse would be better than half of the defenceman in the league.

You make some good points but the one thing youre missing is Lidstrom's contract. Its very possible this is his last season and the Wings will have an extra 6-7 mill in cap space.

That money would be needed for his replacement. We could skimp on defense spending until the next year, but I wouldn't want to see that.

I'd just hate to trade for Iggy then see Parise hit free agency and not be able to make an offer. Again, it wouldn't be terrible, and if the price was good enough I'd go for it. Just not the best option IMO.

That money would be needed for his replacement. We could skimp on defense spending until the next year, but I wouldn't want to see that.

I'd just hate to trade for Iggy then see Parise hit free agency and not be able to make an offer. Again, it wouldn't be terrible, and if the price was good enough I'd go for it. Just not the best option IMO.

I think we're okay on defense for this season. White is doing well. The only thing that worries me is the semi-frequent scoring slumps we go into, which is why I'd want a bona-fide scorer to be added to this team. With our defense and Howard we're a top defensive team, and defense wins championships. But you also can't win if you can't score, so let's double down on that for now.

We are in agreement on this also. I hope Nick plays forever, in fact I bet his corpse would be better than half of the defenceman in the league.

See, I don't agree. His corpse, although good, would only really be better than Brett Lebda...but he's no longer in the league.

I really really wish Holland had signed Fleischmann in the off season. He has proven to be an outstanding top 6 player on every team he played for, especially Colorado (minus the injury or whatever he had). hes tearing it up on Florida right now, has 24 points right now with 12 of them being goals.

This is it.

It would be enough, but there will be a better offer out there:

11 teams could aquire Iginla without moving any salary.

Seriously any team would be lying to say they wouldn't want a chance to pick him up.

He has a No Move clause that would make it be his decision to leave and I doubt he wants to leave Calgary at all.

I think management will go before he does, but, I'll go on record to say I'd take him, a line of Z and D would negate any short comings Iginla has.

You think it'd take two fringe players and a 1st rounder to land Iginla?

It's take one of Kindl or Tatar plus a 1st just to get the ball rolling. Throw in probably Mursak to almost land the deal.

I think we're okay on defense for this season. White is doing well. The only thing that worries me is the semi-frequent scoring slumps we go into, which is why I'd want a bona-fide scorer to be added to this team. With our defense and Howard we're a top defensive team, and defense wins championships. But you also can't win if you can't score, so let's double down on that for now.

I was referring to the affect Iginla would have on our options this off-season. Assuming we didn't trade someone significant that is already signed for next year, and using this year's cap number, we'd have ~$18M in cap left to re-sign Helm and Abby, re-sign or replace Nick and Stuie, plus backup goalie, 7th D, and 13/14th forwards. Likely not enough to go after someone like Parise.

There should be several other options we could add that either will not limit us next year, or at least would fit better into a long-term plan.

I really really wish Holland had signed Fleischmann in the off season. He has proven to be an outstanding top 6 player on every team he played for, especially Colorado (minus the injury or whatever he had). hes tearing it up on Florida right now, has 24 points right now with 12 of them being goals.

$4.5M is a bit steep for someone with career stats similar to Flip/Hudler (side note, impressive draft class with those three, considering Hudler was the highest pick at 58th overall). We could have afforded it though, and he seems to be breaking out (or continuing the breakout he started in Colorado).

Guest Crymson

Holland passed on Fleischmann after learning of the latter's medical issues. Pulmonary embolisms are dangerous, and there's no way of knowing if he'll have a relapse.

Also, hindsight is 20/20 and there's no way to know if he would have been ass successful here.

Edited by Crymson