• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#21 13dangledangle

13dangledangle

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,851 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 07:49 PM

That's ok I'm pretty sure we weren't in the running anyways, Ryan would just simply cost what imo we wouldn't want to give up and as much as I love Jarome I just can't see it.

....Ladies and Gentlemen Jimmy "F%$*ing" Howard.

#22 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 08:58 PM

I think it's safe to say that Ryan's off the market.

If this was the last year of Iginla's contract, I'd be all for acquiring him. We have the cap space this year to take on his prorated salary.

But I think his $7M for next season would handcuff us too much.

Edited by Nevermind, 01 December 2011 - 08:58 PM.

#23 dallas27

dallas27

It worked with Hossa, now it's Ilya's turn

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,051 posts

Posted 01 December 2011 - 09:22 PM

Used to think Filppula was a waste of money for how much he is paid until recently, and it's about time he played to his potential as harsh as that sounds. But unfortunately if Holland is going to make a trade Filppula will have to be a part of it, he's really the only person of value and it's skyrocketing right now. Contrary to popular belief of Hudler Slappies the trade value of a slow, small one-dimensional player that's an UFA next year isn't that high. And they won't trade Zetterberg no matter how much it's suggested. Won't happen.

All for Iginla if Holland can get him at the right price. He can net 40-50 goals / play at an elite level for the Red Wings for two or three more years. He may lose his physical edge but his shot and instinct to score won't diminish. At this point San Jose has Detroit figured out in the playoffs (see the last two years if you don't believe me), argue all you want, it's still true. Have a hunch San Jose wouldn't have an answer for a Datsyuk - Iginla connection, assuming they play each other in the playoffs. I can see Datysuk getting 70+ assists and Iginla getting 50+ goals if they played together all season. Iggy's shot has burned Howard a couple times so far this season, all on a s***ty Calgary team.

It would have to be Filppula + Smith + another high end prospect + 1st. I don't think Iginla's value is that high but that's what it'll probably take. Calgary may not even be interested in that anyways. Regardless, Iginla is the exact player everyone wants. Big, fast, physical, fighting, right-handed scoring power forward that isn't afraid to go in the middle of the ice.

I feel Iginla has always wanted to play in Detroit, especially given his statements about the DRW organization the past week. They are the favorite out of the West if they get him IMO

Edited by dallas27, 01 December 2011 - 09:23 PM.

It's a Festivus miracle!!!

"For the next 20 minutes, you will sit in silence while I tell you why the Detroit Red Wings are the greatest franchise in the history of professional sports." -Dr. Perry Cox

#24 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:05 AM

I feel Iginla has always wanted to play in Detroit, especially given his statements about the DRW organization the past week.

Could you post these statements?

#25 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 12:52 PM

Be upset all you want about someone mentioning Franzen, but he is just too inconsistent for my liking. Bobby Ryan and Jerome Iginla are waaaaaaay better than Franzen. You guys want to improve this team but you only want to offer scrubs that nobody wants. It takes talent to acquire talent. Hudler isn't gonna bring us anything, Miller isn't either. Holland tried trading Hudler all summer and nobody wanted him with all his "potential." He has worse value now. You have to trade someone unless you are perfectly fine with Franzen scoring 20 points in 10 games then disappearing for 20, then scoring 20 more in 15, then disappearing for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#26 mjlegend

mjlegend

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,903 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:13 PM

Be upset all you want about someone mentioning Franzen, but he is just too inconsistent for my liking. Bobby Ryan and Jerome Iginla are waaaaaaay better than Franzen. You guys want to improve this team but you only want to offer scrubs that nobody wants. It takes talent to acquire talent. Hudler isn't gonna bring us anything, Miller isn't either. Holland tried trading Hudler all summer and nobody wanted him with all his "potential." He has worse value now. You have to trade someone unless you are perfectly fine with Franzen scoring 20 points in 10 games then disappearing for 20, then scoring 20 more in 15, then disappearing for the rest of the season and playoffs.

Er, Franzen doesn't exactly disappear in the playoffs.

I agree with you on a lot of this, but Bobby Ryan's inconsistency is what has brought up all the rumours to begin with. Even last year, he had a five-game pointless drought where Franzen's longest drought was four. Ryan this year has already had two four-game pointless slumps and a three gamer, while Franzen had a six-gamer, but nothing else over two.

Last year, Franzen had a six-game point streak and a five, while Ryan had two fives and a four. This year, Franzen has three four-game streaks already while Ryan has only had a three.

#27 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 01:38 PM

Er, Franzen doesn't exactly disappear in the playoffs.

I agree with you on a lot of this, but Bobby Ryan's inconsistency is what has brought up all the rumours to begin with. Even last year, he had a five-game pointless drought where Franzen's longest drought was four. Ryan this year has already had two four-game pointless slumps and a three gamer, while Franzen had a six-gamer, but nothing else over two.

Last year, Franzen had a six-game point streak and a five, while Ryan had two fives and a four. This year, Franzen has three four-game streaks already while Ryan has only had a three.

I agree to a point, but he isn't getting any younger and he is only as good as his last performance and that was 3 points in 8 playoff games. For being our only thing closest to a pure scorer that we have, that is unacceptable, but yes it was only one off year, so maybe (I hope) he goes back to a point a game in this years playoff. While I admit I do not know too much about Bobby Ryan on a consistent level, I do know it seems everytime the Wings play the Ducks he is always factoring in someway, same as Iginla against the Flames.

It doesn't really matter, but if people want these type of players here, they have to understand that Holland cannot get them by offering 20 of our scrubs. We are all going to have our favorite players that we would never want to see be traded and will always offer up a different player in a scenario. Me, I'd rather keep Filppula than Franzen or Hudler since I think he brings a more complete game to the table, but if even trading him would get us that legit #1 pure scorer, then I would't have an issue, especially if Franzen returns to form as a serious scoring threat every night.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#28 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,510 posts

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:51 PM

I don't really know how the coaching change will affect the Ryan situation, I doubt they'll move him now, but if he'll still on the market, anybody think there's a chance we could package Stuart with some others for a trade? I know he wants to go back to Cali and the Ducks defense is pretty poor, so maybe they'd be interested. I absolutely don't want to see Stuart go, but if his mind is set on it, then it might work for all parties.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#29 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 02:49 AM

Shame that it doesn't look like Ryan will be moved now. He's one of my favourite players playing for one of my most hated teams.

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!

#30 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 03:51 AM

Shame that it doesn't look like Ryan will be moved now. He's one of my favourite players playing for one of my most hated teams.

Really? Why?

#31 crotty99

crotty99

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 03 December 2011 - 04:32 AM

Really? Why?

He's a young exciting forward, but stories like this encourage me to cheer for him too http://sports.espn.g...tory?id=3782270

Posted Image

Thanks TeeMan!