• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Bring Back The Bruise Bros

Who Could be Dealt at the Deadline?

Rate this topic

I am going to save this for reposting, because it needs to be said.

I truly believe our options are so few and the prices are so high, we can't be involved in the deadline this year. We need to let the farm grow, and the youngsters on the roster prove themselves. Free agency the next two years has too much potential and too much on the line to risk our own adding pieces now.

I agree, and I am all for signing Suter and Parise over the summer, but damn I wish we could get someone to help this team on the road and their power play...I just don't see our team getting past San Jose or Vancouver if they stay pat. I hope I am wrong, but they aren't gonna win ALL their home games, they need to get that road and power play addressed....

I agree, and I am all for signing Suter and Parise over the summer, but damn I wish we could get someone to help this team on the road and their power play...I just don't see our team getting past San Jose or Vancouver if they stay pat. I hope I am wrong, but they aren't gonna win ALL their home games, they need to get that road and power play addressed....

Unless someone becomes available that we can't see being traded now... There is no way to fix these things.

We just have to hope that the kids have developed enough to get through the teams that play us tough. I just hope someone can stop Pavelski this year.

BTW, how much longer until the yearly Jack Johnson to Detroit rumor shows up?

Oh btw... anyone know what stage of a free agent E is???

I heard something interesting I didn't fully understand on Satellite Hotstove...

If he is a stage two and not a stage three... Like Carter is... then the NTC doesn't count until he hits that level. I wonder if there is some sort of no trade loophole.

I AM NOT SUGGESTING HE WILL BE TRADED OR SHOULD... I just want to understand this a bit more.

IF Parise OR Weber/Suter are available I say go for it Kenny. If not stand pat unless you can somehow trade Conklin for a bag of pucks.

Well, Holland won't be getting any of them until July if at all. He will not trade his team away now for bargaining rights later. This current team just needs a sniper who can shore up the power play. That is the only issue this team has, and once the power play gets better, the roads wins will come. So if Holland gets anyone, it will be a sniper that will be a UFA in July, a rental. I think Selanne would fit that part perfectly, but it still remains to be seen if he is even going to be traded at the dealine...

Honestly with how our team is playing I feel we don't need any blockbuster trades. We've found our backup goaltender and our team is clicking.

agreed! Do you think if Holland was able to acquire Selanne that it would be considered a blockbuster? I think Perry, Ryan, Iginla, Nash all would be blockbusters, but Selanne should only cost a prospect or two. I could be wrong though...

My guess is that Holland and co. will use the upcoming Canuck game as a measuring stick as to what their deadline deals might be if any. Kindl has looked a bit shakey in the last couple of games. I don't want to see him go but a rental of a 5-6 defenseman would give us an option. If somebody goes down with injury. Commie is not what I want to see filling in in the playoffs.

My guess is that Holland and co. will use the upcoming Canuck game as a measuring stick as to what their deadline deals might be if any. Kindl has looked a bit shakey in the last couple of games. I don't want to see him go but a rental of a 5-6 defenseman would give us an option. If somebody goes down with injury. Commie is not what I want to see filling in in the playoffs.

I think Commodore has done well in his appearances. He definitely hasn't made any glaring mistakes, unlike Kindl. Smith will be up after the deadline (if he survives the deadline and is still a Red Wing) to get some playing time. Granted he is not the veteran depth you are referring to or what Holland wanted, but other teams always seem to try to high-ball Holland when it comes to trades, so he may not be willing to part with what other teams are asking. It was said that Holland tried for Gill and Kubina, but was shot down. Holland will not overpay for a depth player. He will pay market value or maybe even outbid someone, for an impact player, lets say a Bobby Ryan, but he is not gonna give up 2 draft picks for Kubina, and definitely not 2 players and a pick for Hal Gill....I believe Nashville overpaid for Gill, but if it works out for them, then in the end, it won't matter. Unless Gill moves elsewhere and then they are out Geoffrion for a rental...

Edited by LeftWinger

I think Commodore has done well in his appearances. He definitely hasn't made any glaring mistakes, unlike Kindl. Smith will be up after the deadline (if he survives the deadline and is still a Red Wing) to get some playing time. Granted he is not the veteran depth you are referring to or what Holland wanted, but other teams always seem to try to high-ball Holland when it comes to trades, so he may not be willing to part with what other teams are asking. It was said that Holland tried for Gill and Kubina, but was shot down. Holland will not overpay for a depth player. He will pay market value or maybe even outbid someone, for an impact player, lets say a Bobby Ryan, but he is not gonna give up 2 draft picks for Kubina, and definitely not 2 players and a pick for Hal Gill....I believe Nashville overpaid for Gill, but if it works out for them, then in the end, it won't matter. Unless Gill moves elsewhere and then they are out Geoffrion for a rental...

I have think Commie has played well givin his lack of playing time. I am just not convinced that he is the depth I would want going into playoffs. The Wings got very lucky with the play of Joey as of late and it looks like they wont have to go after a stable backup. I think a depth move is all that is likely for the Wings. Like you mentioned about the high asking prices, I think the sniper we all need will have to wait till July 1st.

There are so many teams on the bubble right now that I don't think we know who all might be available yet.

For what it's worth I would much, much rather Commy then Kubina or Gill, Commy has been playing a lot smarter while on the ice and thats really improved his game. Kindl to me on the other hand needs to sit a few....And in all seriousness what are our chances of getting selanne?

Alright maybe this will help discussions.

The Wings biggest problem right now is lack of chemistry. Much of that has to do with not having the right guys going to the net to take advantage of the skills we already have.

Cleary, Bertuzzi, Franzen, Homer... they all go to the net. None of them mesh well in the top two lines to make it work. Mostly because only Cleary is fast enough to get there in time, but not big enough to push his way there. Combine that with the fact that Val, Hudler, Zetter, and Pavel all are players who can't push their way there and are better suited away from the net., and you have problems.

I think Brown and Morrow fit this build of having that combination...

Now you can also add a sniper to find soft spots away from the front and make it work. Once again, they need to mesh with the passers. I think Semin, Vanek, Pomminville, and Selanne fit the bill...

I kind of doubt anything is going to happen with either of these routes.

The big problem here is who ever could be had will be costly, and at the same time you have to make sure, you would be able to make both top lines work.

I think if we were to add Semin, we could find him working well with Pavel on the top line, but then you really have the same problem on the second line. If you put him on the second line, who would you move to the top line? Bert, Franzen, Hudler, Cleary, all have issues. Anyone you add, the second line STILL has the same problem of having unworkable or at least inconsistent, chemistry.

I believe the best set up would be Zetter, Pav, and Brown or Franzen on the top line. Getting a player who can shoot from the outside and go at the net while allowing the second line to have the other guy. Bert, Fil, and Franzen have all shown an inconsistent but workable scoring touch. Really if Bert would pick up some speed, all of our problems could be solved without any moves, and the same goes for Franzen.

They both act like anchors for the top two lines. That is why I would put them both together perhaps with Abs, Helm, or Fil and hope they can manage to keep up enough not to allow so many scoring chances. Yet, they need someone to make the Euro Twins finish. I would kill to have a Hull type show up.

I would like to say, that if Holland was really smart, (and he has been so often) he would find someone who isn't a big name and that can fill a role such as what I described.

You should be able to find a “nobody” whose style of game would fit in. I mean look at how some other duos in the league can add anyone and they become point producers. Mikael Samuelsson did that with the Wings once and the Canucks once. We should be able to find someone like that, but not him as he has his faults, which are well known.

We could fix the top two lines by adding people that go to the net, or just adding people whom might have the right mix of other skills to compliment what we do have.

Brown would be the best addition.

Others that might work well include:

Jason Pominville

David Clarkson

Scott Hartnell

T. Plekanec

Milan Michalek

Drew Stafford

Kris Versteeg

Michael Ryder

Blake Wheeler

Matt Cullen

Shrewd moves would include:

Justin Williams: He might be a great add if not Brown. He has an affordable contract that will last for a few years but is only 30 years old and brings almost everything the Wings are missing. Quick and gritty in the traffic areas, shoots first and has hit 30 goals before in a similar system in Carolina. He would fit in extremely well on the top line or the second line freeing up Johan to go up top for a power line with Pav and Hank.

Daniel Winnik: This guy has a ton of shots on net, 151 at time of writing this and fits the right handed big defensive depth role we were supposedly looking to acquire. Winnik, with his size and grit and the fact he shoots the puck a ton, could be put on the top line with Dats and Zetter to form at the very least form a shutdown line. My hunch is that he could at the best turn into a huge goal scorer the same way Bertuzzi did when getting a shot with a couple of elite players a while back in Vancouver.

Bryan Little: Younger and better than Hudler, even if he plays a similar game. Yet has a better shot, which makes all the difference in the world. He would score more goals in the same role as Hudler. Has two years on the contract, and could be flipped next year in a deadline deal. If you doubt it, check the scouting report. "Is a good playmaker who can be employed on the wing, as well as his natural center position. Owns a good wrist shot and sound defensive instincts. Is a tireless worker. Can snipe, too." The problem here is Winnipeg most likely would not trade him. I would at least inquire.

Milan Hejduk: Right handed with quick release. He could be a Hull type fixture with the Euro Twins while coming cheap. He might not fit in though with our past history with the Avs, and he is one of the only players on their roster left you can say that about.

PA Parenteau: I really like the look of this kid, and think his game is on the rise. UFA and therefore could be cheap. Parenteau is a right-handed player who will shoot the puck and is ready for a bigger role offensively. The problem is he is a pass first type and would be a better addition to the second line with Val. I still believe if you added him next to Val, that you would have a similar set up to the top line with the Euro Twins. Then, perhaps, you can use Franzen on the second and Bert on the first and have two top lines that are balanced. Unfortunately, each will be streaky.

Kyle Brodziak: His contract is friendly though long, so he likely would not be moved from Minnesota. Described as a checking line center, we could be shrewd and use him in a bigger role as he will shoot before he passes. He is defense first, and on the top line with Zetter and Pav, he could focus more on offense. The problem is he would contribute to the poor skating problems of the top two lines. If he didn't pan out, we make the logjam at the bottom problem worse while taking money away from resigning our major players.

Ray Whitney: Yeah, we all know what he does not bring. I just think he is one of the cheaper major point producers available while adding a righty. We could do worse out of a rental.

Patrik Elias: Okay, getting him would mean taking ourselves out of the Parise sweepstakes next season, and would allow NJ to keep them. Now here is why it would be a shrewd. One, the move it allows us to make the Devils happy, and create a stronger trading partner in the future. Two, it would give us a PPG player for two seasons that would mesh extremely well on either top line. Three, it would make it easier for Bert and Franzen to produce more by creating balance in the top six. Four, it would allow Hudler someone to emulate his game upon in a countryman. Five, he also would help the power play. Elias would be the biggest star we could add at the deadline, and would actually help the leadership of the strongest leadership team in the league. His contract would expire in time for our hardship year at the cap, and he could return on a vet level cheap contract afterwards. He provides the best opportunity to add a PPG player the Wings have without sacrificing the future.

This is just some ideas, to think outside of the box. Unfortunately, it seems as if these moves are less likely than the world ending at the end of the year. Instead, the Wings will add Paul Gaustad who will not bring anything to the team, but some bad penalties and less ice time or a lost roster spot for players like Emmerton and Mursak. I still say if we are to lose either of those players, I would rather it be a part of a trade for someone with a bigger impact than Gaustad or Moen. I would rather keep what we have than force something stupid. I would rather think outside of the box and take a run at someone like I described.

Guest Crymson

Morrow habitually plays near the net, dude.

Hejduk is basically the face of the Avalanche franchise, and the Avs made it clear awhile back that he'll not be moved unless he is OK with it. He's very unlikely to be moved. Williams provides desperately-needed scoring for the Kings. He's not going be moved. Little is on the playoff-bound Jets. He's not going to be moved. Patrik Elias is the elder statesman of the Devils franchise. He owns numerous franchise records, and he's a leader in the locker room. More, the Devils are currently in playoff position. He's not going to be moved. Ray Whitney is on the Coyotes, who are in position to possibly win their division and have already made a trade to load up for the playoffs. He's not going to be moved.

This is a seller's market. This limits the options tremendously. "Holland needs to make a move" vastly simplifies the situation. There are not many available, worthwhile players, and that fact will substantially drive up the price for each of them.

Edited by Crymson

Zetterberg, Franzen, Hudler, Kindl...for Nash

and then bring up Nyquist, Connor, and Smith...

time to make a move for the future.

Z hangs on to the puck forever, and is not a sniper or a power forward. Production down and his best days are behind him. He makes too much money for what he is bringing to the table.

Franzen is unidimensional and unimpressive.

Hudler is too small and slow for playoff hockey...

We can pull the plug on the Kindl project.

Nash is entering his prime and is a top 3 power forward in the entire league.

Nyquist has skill and seems to have good hockey sense.

Conner was impressive when he was up here.

Dats-Nash-Nyquist

Filp-Bert-Cleary

Helm-Abdel-Miller

Emmerton-Mursak-Holmstrom

Conner available

Lids-White

Kronwall-Stuart

Quincy-Smith

Ericsson (IR), Commie available

Frankly, i would get rid of Bert, Holms and Cleary as well...but not sure there will be any takers.

To upgrade this team, you need to shake up the core...

Edited by MDCard

Zetterberg, Franzen, Hudler, Kindl...for Nash

and then bring up Nyquist, Connor, and Smith...

time to make a move for the future.

Z hangs on to the puck forever, and is not a sniper or a power forward. Production down and his best days are behind him. He makes too much money for what he is bringing to the table.

Franzen is unidimensional and unimpressive.

Hudler is too small and slow for playoff hockey...

We can pull the plug on the Kindl project.

Nash is entering his prime and is a top 3 power forward in the entire league.

Nyquist has skill and seems to have good hockey sense.

Conner was impressive when he was up here.

Dats-Nash-Nyquist

Filp-Bert-Nyquist

Helm-Abdel-Miller

Emmerton-Cleary-Holmstrom

Conner and Mursak available

Lids-White

Kronwall-Stuart

Quincy-Smith

Ericsson (IR), Commie available

Frankly, i would get rid of Bert, Holms and Cleary as well...but not sure there will be any takers.

To upgrade this team, you need to shake up the core...

"Zetterberg, Franzen, Hudler, Kindl...for Nash"??

Tell me, were you dropped on your head as a child? Oh, and you have Nyguist playing on your 1st and 2nd line; was that a mistake or do you just think he's THAT good? That deal makes no sense.

I would, however, deal Franzen and a prospect to Buffalo for Vanek.

Tell me, were you dropped on your head as a child? Oh, and you have Nyguist playing on your 1st and 2nd line; was that a mistake or do you just think he's THAT good? That deal makes no sense.

Corrected the Nyquist mistake. Sorry.

Tell me what you don't like about that deal or my analysis...no i wasn't dropped on my head as a child.

Guest Crymson

I agree with what you've said here.

Guest Hatethedrake!

The word is, we are looking at three Sabers.

I wonder if Miller has to go back in order to make his brother happy :)

Plekanec is also available.

I know Kenny has the cap space to add 1 of the 3 Sabres (Pominville, Roy, Stafford). However I can't see him trading for a player who has a year(s) remaining on his contract. He needs to conserve his cap space to sign Suter and Parise this summer.

If Franzen goes one way and Pomonville comes back, then you're only talking a difference of over 1M. That's manageable. Plus Pomonvile is signed for two more seasons vs. Franzen's long-term deal.

I'd have no issue moving Franzen and Kindl for Pomonville and Gaustad.

Edited by rick zombo

Guest Hatethedrake!

If Franzen goes one way and Pomonville comes back, then you're only talking a difference of over 1M. That's manageable. Plus Pomonvile is signed for two more seasons vs. Franzen's long-term deal.

I'd have no issue moving Franzen and Kindl for Pomonville and Gaustad.

No way Mule is moved.