• Please log in to reply
411 replies to this topic

#381 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,094 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:00 PM

I don't know what game you watched but it was far from entertaining. The Wings sustained little to no pressure for most of the game, they apparently do not have a powerplay that can score goals and had Franzen figure skating around all night. To me an exciting game is 2 teams getting their chances, but the Wings controlling the play minimizing the other team's chances while sustaining most of the pressure. Their passing is to be crisp, and have ability to quickly go from offence to defence. This game was far from that, and thus not entertaining at all until the overtime period.

#382 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

All you folks saying this was the best game you've watched or been too must not have watched the same game I did. Most of our players were invisible, especially Franzen who is supposed to be our clutch scorer. I still think we need an experienced back up for the playoffs, but if it wasn't for Joey playing a great game, the Ducks would've slaughter the Wings tonight. Perry may be a ******, but I would trade Franzen for him today. Too bad he isn't worth the spit of Perry, so Anaheim would laugh at that trade proposal!

#1 - Joey deserves the backup role. His play over the last 3 games has decided that by now. If you haven't seen that, and are still calling for a backup, I don't know what you expect out of a backup goalie, except that what you demand isn't realistic. Did Joey give our team a chance to win the last 3 games? Yes. Hell, he has only allowed 2 goals in 1 game that he played. Every other game he played he has only allowed 1. I mean, isn't that good enough? I say keep playing him. He has deserved the opportunity.

#2 - Wings didn't play the best game tonight, and they still won.

#3 - Playoff stats

Perry - 18G, 25A, 43P in 53G
Franzen - 37G, 35A, 72P in 83G

I think you need to stop comparing them because Franzen is by far a much better performer in playoffs. Perry has a little better upside because he is younger, but thats about it.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#383 Tim.D

Tim.D

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,303 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:03 PM

Ahh okay. I can understand that. It's just that judging it from the hockey aspect alone I'm not sure any of us would say that's one of the best games we've seen live and in person.

I totally agree. From my section 217a view and limited replays, they definitely struggled on D and Franzen wasn't so clutch tonight.

#384 zztop40

zztop40

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 618 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:08 PM

Just my opinion: if you go to a game with friends; and the crowd is into it; you have couple beers; they win in a shoot-out, "by-golly" that was a damn good game. I'm just saying!!!

#385 Yak19

Yak19

-Playmaker Elite-

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,836 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:09 PM

Edited by Yak19, 10 February 2012 - 11:09 PM.

#386 MTU_Huskies963

MTU_Huskies963

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,810 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:19 PM

Mighty Mac is the only reason the wings won tonight.

Posted Image

Edited by MTU_Huskies963, 10 February 2012 - 11:24 PM.

#387 puckbags

puckbags

The Future

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,601 posts
  • Location:Cobble Hill, BC, Canada ( 2,522 Miles from the Joe)

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:43 PM

All you folks saying this was the best game you've watched or been too must not have watched the same game I did. Most of our players were invisible, especially Franzen who is supposed to be our clutch scorer. I still think we need an experienced back up for the playoffs, but if it wasn't for Joey playing a great game, the Ducks would've slaughter the Wings tonight. Perry may be a ******, but I would trade Franzen for him today. Too bad he isn't worth the spit of Perry, so Anaheim would laugh at that trade proposal!

We won right? sometimes it's hard to tell with you ! Slaughter..lol...good one. So it's outside the realm of possibility that one of our goalies may steal a game from time to time like happens to us often. Wings looked stale but I will take a stale 2 points any day of the week.

"Hard Work Beats Talent When Talent Refuses to Work Hard"

LGW after 1 loss is irrational, after a few in a row it becomes quite comical, 22 playoff appearances in a row and 4 cups in that time and still going strong. Relaxxxxx !!

#388 Danielsm

Danielsm

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 10 February 2012 - 11:47 PM

#1 - Joey deserves the backup role. His play over the last 3 games has decided that by now. If you haven't seen that, and are still calling for a backup, I don't know what you expect out of a backup goalie, except that what you demand isn't realistic. Did Joey give our team a chance to win the last 3 games? Yes. Hell, he has only allowed 2 goals in 1 game that he played. Every other game he played he has only allowed 1. I mean, isn't that good enough? I say keep playing him. He has deserved the opportunity.

#2 - Wings didn't play the best game tonight, and they still won.

#3 - Playoff stats

Perry - 18G, 25A, 43P in 53G
Franzen - 37G, 35A, 72P in 83G

I think you need to stop comparing them because Franzen is by far a much better performer in playoffs. Perry has a little better upside because he is younger, but thats about it.

81.1% versus 86.7% for ppg
I wouldn't consider that far better.. Plus what about all the other stats? I would be curious to know how they stack up

#389 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:01 AM

Just got back. Traffic is super slow.

Not the most exciting game in regulation, but great to get the shootout win. MacDonald was great, the Joe went nuts after Pavel and Bert scored in the shootout.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#390 Doc Holliday

Doc Holliday

LGW's impromptu Photoshopper

• Silver Booster
  • 4,337 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:21 AM

Do you get tired beating that dead horse?

Posted Image

#391 irishock

irishock

Into the sunset

• Silver Booster
  • 1,837 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 12:54 AM

Wearing road jerseys = not good news

bringit.jpg

#392 Vladiator

Vladiator

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,091 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:09 AM

Wearing road jerseys = not good news

Haven't the Wings worn their road jerseys for the last couple of games at home now?

Edited by Vladiator, 11 February 2012 - 01:10 AM.

#393 Hockeytown0001

Hockeytown0001

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 22,619 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:11 AM

Haven't the Wings worn their road jerseys for the last couple of games now at home now?

No, tonight was the first in a while.

"All done? Five bucks." - Pavel Datsyuk after an interview
"Very few cities in the NHL have the history or the following of the Detroit Red Wings." - Steve Yzerman

#394 95MadeMeCry

95MadeMeCry

Surrey Wingdinger

• 49 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 01:54 AM

No, tonight was the first in a while.

last time i remember was feb 7 2011 at the joe against the rangers. mostly cuz it was my first game at the joe.......

#395 RedWingsRox

RedWingsRox

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,108 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:09 AM

Do you think wearing the road jersey at home was to bring a bit of that home winning luck onto the road next time they are away? Did anyone mention why they did that? It was weird to see at first, I had to do a double take to make sure they were playing at the Joe.

#396 Jeff6851

Jeff6851

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 726 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:15 AM

Do you think wearing the road jersey at home was to bring a bit of that home winning luck onto the road next time they are away? Did anyone mention why they did that? It was weird to see at first, I had to do a double take to make sure they were playing at the Joe.

The Pens/Leafs had a home and home a week or two ago and they both did the same thing
Detroit fan living in St. Louis
"To whom much is given, much is expected."
"Play them six times, they might win four, but not this game. Not tonight."
"Hard work beats talent when talent doesn't work hard."

#397 Heroes of Hockeytown

Heroes of Hockeytown

Big Goal Bob

• Bronze Booster
  • 13,729 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 02:23 AM

81.1% versus 86.7% for ppg
I wouldn't consider that far better.. Plus what about all the other stats? I would be curious to know how they stack up

Neither set of stats is very useful as is. Stats from 2008 and beyond are most representative of the type of player Franzen is now. For three consecutive playoff years Franzen was PPG or better in the playoffs; last year he was hurt. He is certainly a more effective playoff scorer than regular season guy.
"We've been in the same spot all year long. We won 50 games for the fourth year in a row. People think we're just hum-drum and boring.
No, you know what we are, we're good. You can't do what we do every single day and not be good." - Mike Babcock

#398 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,623 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 06:38 AM

Do you get tired beating that dead horse?

Nope. According to most of you, he is the most clutch player in the NHL, so until he starts playing like it and actually puts in some "clutch" goals when the team needs them, then no I am not. Besides beating a dead horse means to keep saying something everyone knows is true. So I guess you think it is true too?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Aww You Mad Bro? Are You Butt Hurt?

#399 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,744 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

Neither set of stats is very useful as is. Stats from 2008 and beyond are most representative of the type of player Franzen is now. For three consecutive playoff years Franzen was PPG or better in the playoffs; last year he was hurt. He is certainly a more effective playoff scorer than regular season guy.

I agree. I think I am just trying to squash the "Franzen can't hold a candle to Perry" argument. They are both about equal all things considered. Perry has youth while Franzen has a track record of performance.
Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#400 Hatethedrake!

Hatethedrake!

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,496 posts

Posted 11 February 2012 - 09:25 AM

Just want to say that Joey Mac has earned the back-up job. Now Kenny can go after Selanne, Moen and Kubina.
Jordan Tootoo will wreck shop.

We need someone like Parise that can penetrate the box.-blueadams