• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Guest blueadams

Anyone else notice the Rangers are drafting a LOT better than us?

Rate this topic

So a younger team that are this seasons favourites for the Stanley Cup have drafted better in recent years than an aging, declining team that is on the verge of a transition? Well no $h!t Sherlock!

Also, I'd love to know how many picks they've had as opposed to Detroit in the time frame mentioned. ISTR in the mid-2000s Sather realised his strategy of throwing $$$$ at every UFA in sight wasn't working and started trading players for picks. Wings as a perreniel contender have used picks to acquire players at the deadline - 1st and 4th for Lang, couple of 2nds for Schneider, 2nd and a 4th for Stuart etc

So apart from having more draft picks, higher draft picks, and more space on the roster for prospects to progress, yes the Rangers have done a better job.

I both love and hate the draft...I love it for all the Datsyuks that are found and I hate it for all the guys NOT selected that I wish were...but that being said, as always, the draft is a crap shoot and just because you are drafting (at that time) the best available player, doesn't mean you always get what you expected, and then there are the gems that are found in the later rounds (no, Holland is not the only one to find the gems either) that makes you just scratch your head wondering why "your team" didn't take that player... You can go back over every year and every round and pretty much see a star player that was passed up by numerous teams for someone who barely even had time to take a poop in the NHL, let alone become what was expected of them... a quick example, all this talk about Paul Gausted and he was taken in the 7th round #220 overall...in the 6th round Detroit had 2 picks #187 and #196 they chose Per Backer and Paul Ballentyne....you just never know...besides the Rags had a huge mess up in 2003, perhaps the BEST first round class ever selected by teams...except at #12 when the Rags took winger Hugh Jessiman who managed just 2 games played in the NHL followed directly by LA selecting winger Dustin Brown. If you get a chance take a look at that first round...wow! Too bad Detroit didn't have a first rounder that year...

edit: That same draft year, as good as the first round was (except Rags and Blues) Shea Weber didn't go until the 2nd round at #49 and Joe Pavelski was #205 overall...I can think of many teams that wish they would've gone a different route that year...including Detroit.

Edited by LeftWinger

If you get a chance take a look at that first round...wow! Too bad Detroit didn't have a first rounder that year...

Holy crap, that was a pretty impressive draft year. The Wings didn't have a pick until round 2, which they used to draft none other than Jimmy Howard.

1 Marc-Andre Fleury

2 Eric Staal

3 Nathan Horton

4 Nikolai Zherdev

5 Thomas Vanek

6 Milan Michalek

7 Ryan Suter

8 Braydon Coburn

9 Dion Phaneuf

10 Andrei Kostitsyn

11 Jeff Carter

12 Hugh Jessiman

13 Dustin Brown

14 Brent Seabrook

15 Robert Nilsson

16 Steve Bernier

17 Zach Parise

18 Eric Fehr

19 Ryan Getzlaf

20 Brent Burns

21 Mark Stuart

22 Marc-Antoine Pouliot

23 Ryan Kesler

24 Mike Richards

25 Anthony Stewart

26 Brian Boyle

27 Jeff Tambellini

28 Corey Perry

29 Patrick Eaves

30 Shawn Belle

And some notable picks from round #2...

33 Loui Eriksson

45 Patrice Bergeron

49 Shea Weber

62 David Backes

64 Jimmy Howard

And then...

205 Joe Pavelski

239 Tobias Enstrom

245 Dustin Byfuglien

291 Brian Elliott

And then some other picks I found interesting came out of this same class as well...

37 Kevin Klein

47 Matt Carle

54 B. J. Crombeen

61 Maxim Lapierre

73 Daniel Carcillo

106 Jan Hejda

112 Jamie Tardif

121 Paul Bissonnette

122 Corey Potter

132 Kyle Quincey

164 Ryan Oulahen

186 Drew Miller