Photo
* * * - - 2 votes

Anyone else notice the Rangers are drafting a LOT better than us?

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 stevie for president

stevie for president

Red Blings

• PipPipPip
  • 624 posts

Posted 15 May 2012 - 09:04 PM

I feel like this is a "The grass is always greener on the other side," type situation. In that time frame, the Wings were better than the Rangers in every season except this one. Datsyuk-Zetterberg were Red Wing draft picks, Richards-Gaborik were not NYR draft picks. Red Wings wait until their prospects are "over-ripe," Rangers don't. The Rangers draft picks were given the opportunity to make the big club with a big role, and they seized it and look to have panned out. The Red Wings prospects for the most part haven't been given that opportunity, so the jury's still out. Not trying to take away from the Rangers, but these aren't really 2 comparable situations.

Also, some of these young guys need to keep improving. How many times have we seen players surprise everyone one year and disappear the next, or look like a top 6 forward in the playoffs and then go back to normal the following regular season?

#22 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,025 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 12:32 AM

It's why Kindl is such a disappointment to me. He's the best pick they've had in a long time and at 25 years old barely looks NHL ready.

This is one reason why I think that leaving guys out of the NHL for so long is not a good idea. I think that prospects need time to develop to a certain point, then they need to make the jump when they are ripe (not overripe). There is a transition to the nhl regardless of your age or how long you played in the AHL and I think if they don't get the shot young enough they just waste the good young years of their careers and then spend their mid 20s trying to figure it out at the nhl level. Not to mention they never get a good long shot at the NHL because the second they screw up its back to GR or riding pine and a vet takes their spot back for 20 games. Hope this doesn't happen to Smith.

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#23 MabusIncarnate

MabusIncarnate

The Truth Is Out There

• Silver Booster Mod
  • 2,274 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 01:11 AM

I don't get it, what does this have to do with lines? :blink:

13585921555_24551f5658.jpg

#24 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 03:27 AM

This is the first time in god knows how long that the Rangers make it past the 2nd round, and it's the first time in like 6 years that we don't make it past the 1st round.. all of a sudden we are looking at the Rangers as a model organization?

Yes they've drafted well, mostly in their North-American drafting where the Wings are not known for being among the best. They've got role-players that fit in with their system. But imo the OP is overrating several guys a lot.. especially someone like Kreider. And Del Zotto has been very up and down, at times terrible and at times great.

Most of their drafted players fit the mold of hard-working, shot-blocking, not very skilled, role-player. Credit goes to them for knowing what to look for and finding it.

But remember we have Smith, Järnkrok, Pulkkinen, Tatar, Nyquist, Jurco etc. on the way. And I think the Rangers would LOVE to have Helm, or even Abdelkader.

#25 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,219 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 08:01 AM

As long as the Wings draft a big, fast, hard hitting North American forward then it's all good this draft.

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#26 dat's sick

dat's sick

Fear can hold you prisoner, hope can set you free

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:18 AM

As long as the Wings draft a big, fast, hard hitting North American forward then it's all good this draft.

Good thing no one else is thinking about drafting someone like that.
  • Nev likes this

#27 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,088 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 10:59 AM

So a younger team that are this seasons favourites for the Stanley Cup have drafted better in recent years than an aging, declining team that is on the verge of a transition? Well no $h!t Sherlock!

Also, I'd love to know how many picks they've had as opposed to Detroit in the time frame mentioned. ISTR in the mid-2000s Sather realised his strategy of throwing $$$$ at every UFA in sight wasn't working and started trading players for picks. Wings as a perreniel contender have used picks to acquire players at the deadline - 1st and 4th for Lang, couple of 2nds for Schneider, 2nd and a 4th for Stuart etc

So apart from having more draft picks, higher draft picks, and more space on the roster for prospects to progress, yes the Rangers have done a better job.
"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#28 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,920 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:04 AM

I both love and hate the draft...I love it for all the Datsyuks that are found and I hate it for all the guys NOT selected that I wish were...but that being said, as always, the draft is a crap shoot and just because you are drafting (at that time) the best available player, doesn't mean you always get what you expected, and then there are the gems that are found in the later rounds (no, Holland is not the only one to find the gems either) that makes you just scratch your head wondering why "your team" didn't take that player... You can go back over every year and every round and pretty much see a star player that was passed up by numerous teams for someone who barely even had time to take a poop in the NHL, let alone become what was expected of them... a quick example, all this talk about Paul Gausted and he was taken in the 7th round #220 overall...in the 6th round Detroit had 2 picks #187 and #196 they chose Per Backer and Paul Ballentyne....you just never know...besides the Rags had a huge mess up in 2003, perhaps the BEST first round class ever selected by teams...except at #12 when the Rags took winger Hugh Jessiman who managed just 2 games played in the NHL followed directly by LA selecting winger Dustin Brown. If you get a chance take a look at that first round...wow! Too bad Detroit didn't have a first rounder that year...

edit: That same draft year, as good as the first round was (except Rags and Blues) Shea Weber didn't go until the 2nd round at #49 and Joe Pavelski was #205 overall...I can think of many teams that wish they would've gone a different route that year...including Detroit.

Edited by LeftWinger, 16 May 2012 - 11:18 AM.

Bring Fedorov Home For A Day!

He Needs To Retire A Red Wing.

When Gordie Leaves Us, the NHL MUST Retire The #9.

#29 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,124 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:21 AM

If you get a chance take a look at that first round...wow! Too bad Detroit didn't have a first rounder that year...

Holy crap, that was a pretty impressive draft year. The Wings didn't have a pick until round 2, which they used to draft none other than Jimmy Howard.

1 Marc-Andre Fleury
2 Eric Staal
3 Nathan Horton
4 Nikolai Zherdev
5 Thomas Vanek
6 Milan Michalek
7 Ryan Suter
8 Braydon Coburn
9 Dion Phaneuf
10 Andrei Kostitsyn
11 Jeff Carter
12 Hugh Jessiman
13 Dustin Brown
14 Brent Seabrook
15 Robert Nilsson
16 Steve Bernier
17 Zach Parise
18 Eric Fehr
19 Ryan Getzlaf
20 Brent Burns
21 Mark Stuart
22 Marc-Antoine Pouliot
23 Ryan Kesler
24 Mike Richards
25 Anthony Stewart
26 Brian Boyle
27 Jeff Tambellini
28 Corey Perry
29 Patrick Eaves
30 Shawn Belle

And some notable picks from round #2...

33 Loui Eriksson
45 Patrice Bergeron
49 Shea Weber
62 David Backes
64 Jimmy Howard

And then...

205 Joe Pavelski
239 Tobias Enstrom
245 Dustin Byfuglien
291 Brian Elliott

And then some other picks I found interesting came out of this same class as well...

37 Kevin Klein
47 Matt Carle
54 B. J. Crombeen
61 Maxim Lapierre
73 Daniel Carcillo
106 Jan Hejda
112 Jamie Tardif
121 Paul Bissonnette
122 Corey Potter
132 Kyle Quincey
164 Ryan Oulahen
186 Drew Miller
271 Jaroslav Halak

http://en.wikipedia....NHL_Entry_Draft

Edited by rrasco, 16 May 2012 - 11:29 AM.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

#30 pucktividi

pucktividi

the usual suspect

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,332 posts

Posted 16 May 2012 - 11:43 AM

The Rangers are doing a very good job with the youngsters,but can't compare it at the moment,because our kids didn't get as many games as the Rangers one