No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest The Axe

The Next Move

Rate this topic

360 posts in this topic

http://insider.espn....wings-prospects

They missed out on Ryan Suter and Zach Parise, and they're on Rick Nash's list of potential destinations, according to the Columbus Dispatch. But the Detroit Red Wings aren't overly eager to pay Scott Howson's asking price. It's a price that's probably higher for a division rival since the last thing the Columbus Blue Jackets want is to have their former captain terrorizing them for the next decade within the division.

When Red Wings GM Ken Holland met with local media last week, it came with warnings that the big addition fans hoped for this summer might not materialize immediately. In today's NHL, where teams are more likely to extend the contracts of their star players rather than trade them, it makes attracting elite talent in free agency all the more challenging.

It also makes talent development absolutely crucial.

"You have no choice in the new era of the NHL," said Red Wings assistant GM Jim Nill when we chatted Monday morning. "We saw it this summer. We're all locking our guys up from four- to 10-year contracts. [There aren't] a lot of free agents on the market."

That combination makes this summer and the coming season the most important in recent memory for Red Wings prospects. The last time the organization lost key players toretirement, they replaced them with Henrik Zetterberg and Pavel Datsyuk. Chances are, that's not happening in the wake of Nicklas Lidstrom's retirement.

"It's more quantity," Nill said of Detroit's pool of prospects. "You have to have a wave of players coming in."

scoreboard_arrow.gif To read more about five important prospects for the Detroit Red Wings, plsu to getaccess to all of Insider's NHL content, you must be an ESPN Insider.

blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah blah

Hmmm, if the next move is to re-sign Abby and Q and that is it...then seriously, who gets called up to be the #7 defender? Do you think Sproul could make the jump with no GR experience? Plus, again, who is gone up front? Emmy, Mursak, Miller, Eaves would be the 4 extra forwards, two would have to go...

I wonder if Eaves is out of the picture already?

I have been wondering the same...seems there has been zero update on his health status.

I have been wondering the same...seems there has been zero update on his health status.

Last I read, Holland said he'd be good to go for camp...

Apparently we're waiting on Shane Doan and won't do anything until that get figured out.

https://twitter.com/HeleneStJames/status/225289408411222016

Holland must believe we still have a shot at him even though the situation in Phoenix looks pretty good right now, so I don't see him leaving. Not to mention, the deals that have been getting thrown his way from other teams, there's no way we're competing with that.

Heading into the free agency frenzy I believed if we didn't land Suter our team would be doomed, but the more I think of it the more I like having our prospects play all year round. Throw them in the fire and see what they're really made of. At this point, anything we can pick up will be helpful but they're no core players floating around. 2 year deal max for Doan. I don't think Detroit looks like a very appealing destination, but Holland might as well throw the bank at him for 1 year. If he doesn't get him oh well. Atleast Holland is busy doing all that he can. Detroit has been a potential place for every big signing and every big trade so you can't fault Holland.

Adversity bring the best and worst out of players... Let's see what our prospects have in them