• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
stevkrause

Sign Jurcina or Vandermeer and call it a day

Rate this topic

First off, everyone get off the ledge.

We didn't lose out because we're falling apart, or because Kenny didn't do his job, we didn't get the key FA because THEY chose to play together and WHERE they wanted to play and were going there regardless of what everyone else offered them, or because someone gave them an OBSCENE contract, with way too much term (*cough* Carle *cough*) that they did not deserve, that we do not need killing our team in the short, or long term... especially with a new CBA coming, that could freeze the cap. This is not an eternal ceiling that keeps going up and will continue to go up, nor should it be.

Once the top FA were gone, the market this year falls off... drastically. When this happens, a good team, with a good GM, does not panic and then reach and sign unnecessary contracts, to marginal players, that hurt their team in the short or long term. They stay the course.

Holland is a damn good GM. period.

Now, we're all allowed to be upset, dissapointed and even downright pissed that this off season didn't go the way we all wanted and NO one hates the Tootoo signing more than me... but TRUST your GM. You got the best there is in the game and you should be god damn thankful you do and stop being a spoiled, pissy little brat who doesn't appreciate everything they have gotten, or have, because they didn't get the toy they wanted that year... there will be new toys and you'll probably get those too, so get the f' over yourself and stop telling daddy you hate him and he's the worst dad ever, just because you didn't get a unicorn that never existed in the first place.

Now, things didn't go the way we wanted, so you formulate an action plan... you don't trade away half your roster for a primadona who is goverened by a nutjob that doesn't even realize that 7 draft picks > 1 draft pick, or reach for a replacement to arguably the best (and unarguably top 2) defenseman to ever play the game and trade away too much looking for something you'll never find. There is no replacement to Nick. Probably ever. You do the best you can to adjust, not replace...

With that said, we have some young players who are ready to show what they have... there may be some growing pains, but if there was ever the time, it's now.

Once Quincey signs, that will put us at 6 NHL dmen, you sign a big, shot blocker (Jurcina or Vandermeer) as the 7th to a one year deal and let them battle it out in camp for the spots and you give Smith, Ericsson and Kindl ALL a chance to put that extra body in the press box when everyone's healthy.

As for forwards, unless a trade that ACTUALLY makes sense comes across, you stand pat and have faith in the system and, once again, the young guys. Let Nyquist, Brunner, Tatar, Shehan and even Brunnstrom (he's in the process of signing according to reports) come to camp and PROVE they belong, then you give them the spot and give them the faith, without having to look over their shoulders, or going to camp knowing they don't even have a chance to make the team. You put your faith in them, give them the responsibility and the confidence and most importantly... the ice time.

Finally, by doing all of this, you don't handcuff yourself for one year, while in panic mode, when you have a season coming up, in which Iginla, Perry, Getzlaf, Horton, Weiss, Clarkson, Weber, Timonen, Whitney, etc, etc, etc... may be free agents (some may re-sign, but others certainly will not)... oh yea, not to mention several of your own that need to be re-signed and will probably be commanding raises...

This is not a sprint, it is a marathon, have faith and always remember... Holland is a damn good GM. period.

I agree for the most part. A big bodied steady veteran on D is key.

Semin or Doan would be fantastic. This is a lineup that would leave us with capspace, trade options, and a very competitive team imo.

Nyquist Datsyuk Semin/Doan

Franzen Zetterberg Samulsen

Bertuzzi Filpula Cleary (Brunner)

Adbelkader Helm Tootoo

Miller Anderson Tatar

Kronwall White

Ericsson Quincey

Smith Rosival/Kubina/Jurcina

Kindl (NOT a dependable NHL dman IMO!! slow, soft, and gets scared on the forecheck)

Jimmy

Monster

**ps. Andersson really made strides last year. If he impresses in camp and earns a spot if Filp and Abby play wing I think he could slot into the 4th line with Abs and Tootoo and add some hands and finish to a fast, physical, youthful line. I only put Filpula as the 3rd line center because if Brunner turns out to be the real deal having three lines with a legitimate scoring threat could be great (or neccesary lol ... with our questionable defense outscoring our mistakes could become our MO - again).

I don't why they have not already signed campbell-plays alot minutes good with the puck can play powerplay and can score it's no brainer.a vet and not as old as dirt.get it done and go after semin and ryan and Detroit will be ready for a cup run.

I don't why they have not already signed campbell-plays alot minutes good with the puck can play powerplay and can score it's no brainer.a vet and not as old as dirt.get it done and go after semin and ryan and Detroit will be ready for a cup run.

Campbell isn't a FA, neither is Boumeester... Both would be decent additions for the right price, but I can't see Florida trading Campbell and Calgary had apparently been asking too much for Boumeester, who would already be a gamble and a reclamation project at that, although I do think he would flourish here...

Trading for Ryan is also a situation where the deal has to make sense, you don't mortgage the team chasing one piece and Anaheim has apparently been asking for the world... Plus, why do they keep trying to get rid of him? Are the off ice concerns true? We don't need cancers here...

I wouldn't hate signing Semin, as long as the term and money wasn't too high, but he has a very questionable work ethic and attitude... So that move would be high risk, high reward

Signing Doan would be awesome, but I still don't see him leaving Phoenix, and term has to make sense... He's not a young buck anymore

I wouldn't mind a trade for Bouwmeester. His value has depreciated in Calgary, but I still think he can be effective, especially in the Wings system. He plays a similar style to Lidstrom (though not nearly as good), but I've also seen a bit of a mean streak in him.

Those line combo's posted earlier make it apparent to me that if the Wings sign another foward, there are enough assets up front to use in a deal.

The tough thing is that Calgary traded Phaneuf to the Leafs because they were set on JBouw being their guy. He hasn't really panned out, but the Flames would have to have balls to trade him at this point. With the emergence of Giordano though, they may bite at the right offer.

First off, everyone get off the ledge.

We didn't lose out because we're falling apart, or because Kenny didn't do his job, we didn't get the key FA because THEY chose to play together and WHERE they wanted to play and were going there regardless of what everyone else offered them, or because someone gave them an OBSCENE contract, with way too much term (*cough* Carle *cough*) that they did not deserve, that we do not need killing our team in the short, or long term... especially with a new CBA coming, that could freeze the cap. This is not an eternal ceiling that keeps going up and will continue to go up, nor should it be.

Once the top FA were gone, the market this year falls off... drastically. When this happens, a good team, with a good GM, does not panic and then reach and sign unnecessary contracts, to marginal players, that hurt their team in the short or long term. They stay the course.

Now, we're all allowed to be upset, dissapointed and even downright pissed that this off season didn't go the way we all wanted and NO one hates the Tootoo signing more than me... but TRUST your GM. You got the best there is in the game and you should be god damn thankful you do and stop being a spoiled, pissy little brat who doesn't appreciate everything they have gotten, or have, because they didn't get the toy they wanted that year... there will be new toys and you'll probably get those too, so get the f' over yourself and stop telling daddy you hate him and he's the worst dad ever, just because you didn't get a unicorn that never existed in the first place.

Now, things didn't go the way we wanted, so you formulate an action plan... you don't trade away half your roster for a primadona who is goverened by a nutjob that doesn't even realize that 7 draft picks > 1 draft pick, or reach for a replacement to arguably the best (and unarguably top 2) defenseman to ever play the game and trade away too much looking for something you'll never find. There is no replacement to Nick. Probably ever. You do the best you can to adjust, not replace...

With that said, we have some young players who are ready to show what they have... there may be some growing pains, but if there was ever the time, it's now.

Once Quincey signs, that will put us at 6 NHL dmen, you sign a big, shot blocker (Jurcina or Vandermeer) as the 7th to a one year deal and let them battle it out in camp for the spots and you give Smith, Ericsson and Kindl ALL a chance to put that extra body in the press box when everyone's healthy.

As for forwards, unless a trade that ACTUALLY makes sense comes across, you stand pat and have faith in the system and, once again, the young guys. Let Nyquist, Brunner, Tatar, Shehan and even Brunnstrom (he's in the process of signing according to reports) come to camp and PROVE they belong, then you give them the spot and give them the faith, without having to look over their shoulders, or going to camp knowing they don't even have a chance to make the team. You put your faith in them, give them the responsibility and the confidence and most importantly... the ice time.

Finally, by doing all of this, you don't handcuff yourself for one year, while in panic mode, when you have a season coming up, in which Iginla, Perry, Getzlaf, Horton, Weiss, Clarkson, Weber, Timonen, Whitney, etc, etc, etc... may be free agents (some may re-sign, but others certainly will not)... oh yea, not to mention several of your own that need to be re-signed and will probably be commanding raises...

This is not a sprint, it is a marathon, have faith and always remember... Holland is a damn good GM. period.

All for this idea. Vandermeer or Jurcina would replace Stuart for the time being and beef up the blue line. I like the idea of rotating our prospects through this year and giving them not just 4th line minutes like we've seen so often, but put them on the 2nd and 3rd lines to expose them a little more and see what they're made of. Andersson and Sheahan would be good 3rd line guys, while Tatar would be better suited to take a crack at the top 6 if he gets called up. I just get sick and tired of seeing guys get called up and sit on the bench or play 3 minutes per game and not even get a chance to show what they're made of. Not sure what guys are ready to make the jump on D, but signing one of Vandermeer or Jurcina would be a good insurance signing.

go to espn under who's left half way down the page you'll find Brian Campbell ufa.

Are you sure you're not seeing Gregory Campbell who happened to re-sign in Boston as a UFA? Brian Campbell is locked up to what was seen as an albatross of a contract (at least while he was in Chicago) as already mentioned.

Yep sign Vandermeer, toughest team we would have since 08.

The longer this drags on, the more I think this plan makes the most sense...

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Quincey

Smith-Vandermeer

Kindl

Looks good to me... Not great, but good enough...

The longer this drags on, the more I think this plan makes the most sense...

Kronwall-White

Ericsson-Quincey

Smith-Vandermeer

Kindl

Looks good to me... Not great, but good enough...

Doesn't look too bad, however Quincey is really gonna have to step it up.

I'm a big fan of Vandermeer and would be ecstatic if he signed here. He knows his role and he plays it well.

Guest Johnz96

I agree for the most part. A big bodied steady veteran on D is key.

Semin or Doan would be fantastic. This is a lineup that would leave us with capspace, trade options, and a very competitive team imo.

Nyquist Datsyuk Semin/Doan

Franzen Zetterberg Samulsen

Bertuzzi Filpula Cleary (Brunner)

Adbelkader Helm Tootoo

Miller Anderson Tatar

Kronwall White

Ericsson Quincey

Smith Rosival/Kubina/Jurcina

Kindl (NOT a dependable NHL dman IMO!! slow, soft, and gets scared on the forecheck)

Jimmy

Monster

**ps. Andersson really made strides last year. If he impresses in camp and earns a spot if Filp and Abby play wing I think he could slot into the 4th line with Abs and Tootoo and add some hands and finish to a fast, physical, youthful line. I only put Filpula as the 3rd line center because if Brunner turns out to be the real deal having three lines with a legitimate scoring threat could be great (or neccesary lol ... with our questionable defense outscoring our mistakes could become our MO - again).

Anderson is a slower Abby who is not as good on faceoffs. Helm needs more ice-time not less, he is possibly our 4th best forward and definitely one of our 6 best. Putting Fil on the 3rd line would almost guarantee losing him next year.

Kindl is actually very mobile

I wouldn't mind a trade for Bouwmeester. His value has depreciated in Calgary, but I still think he can be effective, especially in the Wings system. He plays a similar style to Lidstrom (though not nearly as good), but I've also seen a bit of a mean streak in him.

Those line combo's posted earlier make it apparent to me that if the Wings sign another foward, there are enough assets up front to use in a deal.

The tough thing is that Calgary traded Phaneuf to the Leafs because they were set on JBouw being their guy. He hasn't really panned out, but the Flames would have to have balls to trade him at this point. With the emergence of Giordano though, they may bite at the right offer.

Bouwmeester is way overpayed

Anderson is a slower Abby who is not as good on faceoffs. Helm needs more ice-time not less, he is possibly our 4th best forward and definitely one of our 6 best. Putting Fil on the 3rd line would almost guarantee losing him next year.

Kindl is actually very mobile

Bouwmeester is way overpayed

Although Andersson has made great strides, there's zero chance he earns a spot on this roster, unless we are ravaged by injuries, he's simply too far down the depth chart, as he should be currently, due to all the reasons you already stated... Fil is top 6, no doubt....

As for Boumeester, he is WITHOUT a doubt overpaid - luckily, we have a ton of cap space and nothing to do with it... for the right price, I would gladly take him on here, as I think he would thrive here... with that said, I still think signing a big, shut down d-man for the 3rd pairing (Vandermeer or Jurcina) is the better choice... give some of the young guys a chance to prove themselves, including Kindl (I also think he's a lot better than most give him credit for) and see where it takes us, I think people would be pleasantly surprised...

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Johnz96

Although Andersson has made great strides, there's zero chance he earns a spot on this roster, unless we are ravaged by injuries, he's simply too far down the depth chart, as he should be currently, due to all the reasons you already stated... Fil is top 6, no doubt....

As for Boumeester, he is WITHOUT a doubt overpaid - luckily, we have a ton of cap space and nothing to do with it... for the right price, I would gladly take him on here, as I think he would thrive here... with that said, I still think signing a big, shut down d-man for the 3rd pairing (Vandermeer or Jurcina) is the better choice... give some of the young guys a chance to prove themselves, including Kindl (I also think he's a lot better than most give him credit for) and see where it takes us, I think people would be pleasantly surprised...

I agree with everything you said except that we have tons of cap space with nothing to do with it. That cap space will come in very handy when the right deal is available (we may have to wait till next summer) for someone that suits our needs more precisely and worth his contract

I agree with everything you said except that we have tons of cap space with nothing to do with it. That cap space will come in very handy when the right deal is available (we may have to wait till next summer) for someone that suits our needs more precisely and worth his contract

He only has two years left... We could obtain him and still have more than enough to make a move next year, but he would help us this year... I also think he would thrive here and probably grow into that contact here, he's been on horrible teams that don't fit his style, and I think we'd all be very pleasantly surprised by him here...

With all that said, I still don't think this is a route we should go, I just wouldn't mind it if we did

Edited by stevkrause

Guest Johnz96

He only has two years left... We could obtain him and still have more than enough to make a move next year, but he would help us this year... I also think he would thrive here and probably grow into that contact here, he's been on horrible teams that don't fit his style, and I think we'd all be very pleasantly surprised by him here...

With all that said, I still don't think this is a route we should go, I just wouldn't mind it if we did

He makes twice as much as Kronwall and is half as good, I agree that it would be best to give Smith and Kindl lots of time so they can develop and to get a better evaluation of them

I would personally like to see us get a guy like Rozsival... he might cost a little more, but he is a right handed shot who has shown offensive ability in the past (on better teams) and I see him fitting our system well. He could step in and man the point on either powerplay unit. Maybe someone can give me a little clarification, but does he play with a big of an edge too? I wasn't sure about that part of his game, but he does have good size.

If not him, I would like for us to take a chance on Cam Barker.... he's only 26 and has a ton of potential, when if nurtured properly, could pay dividends.

In the end though, I'd be happy with Vandermeer and letting the kids get a chance.

I would personally like to see us get a guy like Rozsival... he might cost a little more, but he is a right handed shot who has shown offensive ability in the past (on better teams) and I see him fitting our system well. He could step in and man the point on either powerplay unit. Maybe someone can give me a little clarification, but does he play with a big of an edge too? I wasn't sure about that part of his game, but he does have good size.

If not him, I would like for us to take a chance on Cam Barker.... he's only 26 and has a ton of potential, when if nurtured properly, could pay dividends.

In the end though, I'd be happy with Vandermeer and letting the kids get a chance.

I definitely don't hate either of those options...

I worry about Barker's consistency, whereas you'd know what you are getting with Vandermeer or Jurcina and Rozsival's best days seem to be behind him and he can't seem to stay healthy, so I'd be a little weary of him, but when healthy, he'd be a decent addition... like I said, I don't hate either of those options, I'd just prefer Vandermeer or Jurcina...