• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 PROBIE4PREZ

PROBIE4PREZ

In Holland I trust.

• PipPipPip
  • 740 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:49 PM

The Wings had a goalie that was better than the defense? Has there ever been besides Sawchuk? I keep trying to think of a goalie that kept the Wings alive through out a entire season. Like a elite goalie type. I'm drawing blanks besides Dom in 02', but he had great d-man in front of him. I'm thinking that's going to be the case this year. Our goalie depth is a greater strength than our d-man depth and Jimmy H. is going to shine.
"I mean, the best thing for my knee, for anyone's knee, is to never play again and retire. But I'm not going to do that." o-captain my captain

#2 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 08:56 PM

I thought Howard carried this team in the regular season last season. Our defense had big names, but he still stood on his head many nights. I'm not sure what you mean.

Are you talking about a defense with no big names and a goalie who's a big name? Like say the Sabres with Hasek and Miller? If that's it, I can't think of the last time we had that kind of team.

Then again, I don't think of Howard as an "elite" goalie. Doesn't play like it in the playoffs, and doesn't get paid like it either. He's a good goalie, but nothing more at this point.
According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#3 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,126 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:26 PM

If Howie is no better than our defense this season, then we are going to have issues. Now is your best chance to see it. Of course, if "this season" happens at all.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#4 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,242 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:30 PM

As far as I can remember, the Wings have usually boasted a very good defense. I think what we're going to see this year is probably a first for most of us: a team with an average or sub-par defense.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#5 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:33 PM

Cujo was elite

#6 Detroit # 1 Fan

Detroit # 1 Fan

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 18,799 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 09:39 PM

Cujo was elite

In the playoffs he was, never got a lick of support in those years.
2002-2003 Red Wings 4 0 4 0 10 120 .917 2.08 2003-2004 Red Wings 9 4 4 1 12 197 .939 1.39

Probably the best stats a goalie who never made it past the 2nd round ever had haha.

#NOMOREKINDL

#7 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 11 September 2012 - 10:05 PM

In the playoffs he was, never got a lick of support in those years.
2002-2003 Red Wings 4 0 4 0 10 120 .917 2.08 2003-2004 Red Wings 9 4 4 1 12 197 .939 1.39

Probably the best stats a goalie who never made it past the 2nd round ever had haha.

That's because the other dude's stats were always better.

#8 Motown4013

Motown4013

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,054 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 02:26 PM

if you look at other teams D corps...we have an average or slightly better than average defense. I think its very hard to not look back there and think " Holy Crap, we suck" because we have been elite for so long BUT most team, you get to the third pairing, hear their name and think " Oh hm...OR who the hell is that". we will be ok. I think the CC signing!
Raising another Red Wings Fan!

The future looks bright in Hockeytown!

#9 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 04:05 PM

I think Howard will be considered elite and up for the Vezina at the end of the year. He finally has a solid back up and will shine through the regular season and carry the wings deep in the playoffs.

Monster was by far our best signing this off season.

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#10 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 13 September 2012 - 10:44 PM

Are you talking about a defense with no big names and a goalie who's a big name? Like say the Sabres with Hasek and Miller? If that's it, I can't think of the last time we had that kind of team.

Miller is very overrated.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 20,160 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:50 AM

Miller is very overrated.

Now.

But he did carry them to the playoffs for a few years, after Drury and Briere left.

#12 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 15 September 2012 - 11:58 AM

Now.

But he did carry them to the playoffs for a few years, after Drury and Briere left.

The Sabres missed the playoffs in the two seasons after Drury and Briere left the team. He did play a very large part in the team making the playoffs in 2009-2010; this was, incidentally, the only season in which he was a Vezina candidate.