• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#61 joshy207

joshy207

Black Ace

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,437 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 07:01 PM

Another thought... there are far more left-hand shots in the NHL than right-hand shots.  This has to do with dominant-hand theories.  Many believe the strong hand goes on top of the stick, which would help in handling the puck and overall stick control.  Since most people are naturally right-hand dominant, those who play hockey would be left-handed shots.  The other theory says the strong hand goes on the bottom of the stick, which would aid in powering shots and passes.  This theory is less popular in traditional hockey areas though.

#62 Crymson

Crymson

Ninjelephant

• Gold Booster
  • 11,032 posts

Posted 26 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

I think the team will be in OK shape with Ericsson back. What we're seeing now is a discombobulated team on defense. It'll improve.

When Samuelsson is back, we'll have a good degree of firepower on the third line (Helm, Eaves, Samuelsson) and a fair amount on the 4th (Abdelkader, Tootoo, Miller).

#63 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 12:47 AM

I think the team will be in OK shape with Ericsson back. What we're seeing now is a discombobulated team on defense. It'll improve.

When Samuelsson is back, we'll have a good degree of firepower on the third line (Helm, Eaves, Samuelsson) and a fair amount on the 4th (Abdelkader, Tootoo, Miller).

Leave Sammy out.

#64 purrbody

purrbody

Draftee

• 3 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 02:40 AM

Trust me it will get better look at Colo there start was rocky but their getting better plus I have never seen Detroit go down without a fight so I know it will get better

#65 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:26 AM

Need more size and speed.

#66 chrisdetroit

chrisdetroit

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,407 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:45 AM

What a load of crap.

People need to back up their posts with actual facts.  

1.  Franzen was our leading goal scorer last year.  You don't buy out your leading goal scorer no matter how much the fans don't like his work ethic.

2. The Red Wings prospects are ranked middle of the pack or better by everybody that actually knows something about this.

3.  The Wings are 2-2 after 4 games.  The Rangers who are favored to win the Cup are 2-3 and in last place in their division.  Last year's Cup winners are 1-2-1.  You can't draw any conclusions this early.

4.  The Wings played the Stars with 8 guys out because of injury and played the last game missing 3 of their 6 starting defensemen.

Blow up the team at this point?  Seriously?

Do or do not. There is no try

#67 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,516 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 09:55 AM

Trouble is, we dont have tradeable assets and the UFA class this summer is weak. We are, to a degree, victims of circumstance. Holland can try to package something but its unlikely he would land anyone great for what we could offer.
Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#68 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:31 AM

Trouble is, we dont have tradeable assets and the UFA class this summer is weak. We are, to a degree, victims of circumstance. Holland can try to package something but its unlikely he would land anyone great for what we could offer.

Wrong on both assumptions. Last year's ufa was weak. Smith, Franzen, Flip, Nyquist, Tatar, and the list goes on. They all would yield a good return but Holland isn't a huge fan of trading unless a glaring need or a slam dunk. There are winners and losers in almost every trade like the Q trade lol.

#69 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 03:39 PM

Wrong on both assumptions. Last year's ufa was weak. Smith, Franzen, Flip, Nyquist, Tatar, and the list goes on. They all would yield a good return but Holland isn't a huge fan of trading unless a glaring need or a slam dunk. There are winners and losers in almost every trade like the Q trade lol.

This year's UFA class is weak. Already the list of defensemen is pretty pathetic, and probably 2/3rds of the decent players will re-sign before UFA season. Forwards look a lot better right now, but again I'd bet most of the best talent signs before they're available. It's highly unlikely that UFAs will be a viable solution.

I don't think our trade assets are as valuable as you seem to think either. Flip and Franzen would both create holes in the lineup and with their current deals you probably couldn't get an even return. Smith could probably get us a short term upgrade, but he's 23 with a lot of upside. Pretty much the exact opposite of what we want to trade right now. Most of our prospects are still years away from the NHL and very much unknown. You're not going to get a lot for any of them.

Nyquist and Tatar probably get you something decent, but I don't think it's enough to make a meaningful difference.

#70 stuck in socal

stuck in socal

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 04:53 PM

Our current roster will not fetch us a lot of playoff success over the next three years. I think 5- 8 years down the road, (assuming our prospects pan out) is when we will be serious contenders again. You only go all out with trades and signings when you really feel you are close to winning the big games. Our last big FA signing was Rafalski. No coincidence in his first season here we won the cup. The brass felt that the team was close to winning (got to the WCF the previous year) and went out and made a huge signing. That year at the deadline we also shored up our defense by acquring Stuart.

We are a strange team though, because even if you go back to last year we were great for half the season, and set the record for consecutive home wins. Yet, we fizzled out in the end due to some untimely injuries.

We are a lower middle of the pack team for this year and probably 2 - 3 more. I see us finishing anywhere from 7/8 - 10/11. The only thing I hope is we don't try to plug weaknesses by signing middle of the road players for too much $$$. Look at calgary and Toronto

Playoff Time. Let's Go Red Wings!!!!

#71 sjr2012

sjr2012

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,055 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 05:11 PM

Our current roster will not fetch us a lot of playoff success over the next three years. I think 5- 8 years down the road, (assuming our prospects pan out) is when we will be serious contenders again. You only go all out with trades and signings when you really feel you are close to winning the big games. Our last big FA signing was Rafalski. No coincidence in his first season here we won the cup. The brass felt that the team was close to winning (got to the WCF the previous year) and went out and made a huge signing. That year at the deadline we also shored up our defense by acquring Stuart.

We are a strange team though, because even if you go back to last year we were great for half the season, and set the record for consecutive home wins. Yet, we fizzled out in the end due to some untimely injuries.

We are a lower middle of the pack team for this year and probably 2 - 3 more. I see us finishing anywhere from 7/8 - 10/11. The only thing I hope is we don't try to plug weaknesses by signing middle of the road players for too much $$$. Look at calgary and Toronto

You have a valide point my friend there is going to be a few years ahead that are going to be rough for us i dont see us ever really getting back to the DEAD Wings era but i do see a few hit and misses with the playoffs and as i said in another post we have all become spoiled and acustom to expecting a deep run or a cup and after 21 years and 4 cups we really cant complain we are always going to be looked back on as a great team that every respext but sooner or later ppl wont fear us as they use to because every team goes thru a trend of ups and downs and it might finally be are time to slip alittle i see 8th or 9th for us this year but if we get in at 8th never know we could pull a LA

try to get something by me i dare you

:goalie:

#72 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 06:41 PM

Clinging to yesterday will destroy this team. It has been 5 years since we won the Cup. Last 3 years we lost in the second round twice and the first round last year. 5 years from now there is a strong chance that none of Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg will even be in the league. All will be in their late 30's. Even if we find 8-12 prospects that work out, none of these guys will be key to anything. If/when they retire we get zero, zip nada for them. All 3 have value today, so if the deal is right, make it.

#73 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:10 PM

Clinging to yesterday will destroy this team. It has been 5 years since we won the Cup. Last 3 years we lost in the second round twice and the first round last year. 5 years from now there is a strong chance that none of Kronwall, Datsyuk, and Zetterberg will even be in the league. All will be in their late 30's. Even if we find 8-12 prospects that work out, none of these guys will be key to anything. If/when they retire we get zero, zip nada for them. All 3 have value today, so if the deal is right, make it.

This is one way you can eliminate yourself from signing top free agents or retaining your own stars. Good thing for us the ownership doesn't operate like this.

#74 Ally

Ally

just figured out how to change my title

• PipPip
  • 488 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 07:29 PM

I literally stopped reading after the suggestion of trading Dats.

"Everything he does is exciting to watch.” -Holmstrom describes Datsyuk

#75 MasterPavel

MasterPavel

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 400 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 08:43 PM

I literally stopped reading after the suggestion of trading Dats.

Pure silliness sir

#76 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 27 January 2013 - 10:07 PM

This is one way you can eliminate yourself from signing top free agents or retaining your own stars. Good thing for us the ownership doesn't operate like this.

Cause top flight FA's have been flocking to detroit over the last 5 years. name one please........... Hossa was 08 already......

#77 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,980 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 11:25 AM

Not necessarily. Trading a player isn't an insult. If it looks like we'll be out of the playoffs, or even just fighting for a bottom seed, older players would probably thank us if we sent them to a contender.

I'm still on the fence about it. Part of me wants to see how long we can stretch the playoff streak, even if it means giving up a bit in the future. Another part thinks we should cash in while we can to help get back to greatness as soon as possible.

#78 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Kronner and Z will be 37 and most likely still playing, Datsyuk will be back in Russia, but we would never trade the magician. We wouldn't trade the man we JUST made our captain, and Kronner is our top dman now, so trading any of these players seems silly, seeing as there are few players of datsyuk and z's caliber in the league even at their ages

#79 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:08 PM

Not necessarily. Trading a player isn't an insult. If it looks like we'll be out of the playoffs, or even just fighting for a bottom seed, older players would probably thank us if we sent them to a contender.

I'm still on the fence about it. Part of me wants to see how long we can stretch the playoff streak, even if it means giving up a bit in the future. Another part thinks we should cash in while we can to help get back to greatness as soon as possible.

Trust me I understand. No one wnats to move fan favorites that helped you win multiple cups. But no one wants to have 60 point seasons either. Some of us lived through the Dead Wings era and still have nightmares about it. The RW's were the joke of the NHL. Most hockey fans in Michigan were following the Isles or the Oilers.

But these are the type of tough decisions that Holland is going to have to make. we don't have anyone in our system able to put up 80 points. Not sure if there are any 60 point guys either. Hanging onto guys like Dat, Z, Kronwall is a deminising returns thing. They are not going to get better at this point in time. Only worse. Their numbers have been dropping for the last 5 years. datsyuk is a UFA after next season. Do you resign him at 35/36 and how much money do you spend? Will he stay for 4 million or less? Doubtfull. Do you let Filppula walk? He is a UFA this year and only 28. Who will be better in 5 years? 39 year old datsyuk or 33 year old Filppula?

Yes this stuff is tough. But these are the things we have to do so that come the 2015 season we are ready for another run. That gives us 3 drafts and 3 UFA periods, plus trades. We have enough talent for the 3rd and 4th lines, 3 D pair and Goalie-if we get Howard resigned. That means we need to find 10 guys over the next 2.5 seasons. Not that hard of a task. One that can be done, and is much easier if we make a few "smart" trades.

#80 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,092 posts

Posted 28 January 2013 - 12:11 PM

What a load of crap.

People need to back up their posts with actual facts.  

1.  Franzen was our leading goal scorer last year.  You don't buy out your leading goal scorer no matter how much the fans don't like his work ethic.

2. The Red Wings prospects are ranked middle of the pack or better by everybody that actually knows something about this.

3.  The Wings are 2-2 after 4 games.  The Rangers who are favored to win the Cup are 2-3 and in last place in their division.  Last year's Cup winners are 1-2-1.  You can't draw any conclusions this early.

4.  The Wings played the Stars with 8 guys out because of injury and played the last game missing 3 of their 6 starting defensemen.

Blow up the team at this point?  Seriously?

we were missing 2 of our starting dmen last game, White and Colo, which we will be missing for the next month, Ericsson was back last night