• Please log in to reply
129 replies to this topic

#121 kipwinger

kipwinger

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,569 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

There is a difference between enthusiasm (see: Shane Doan when he scores a goal) and over the top enthusiasm - as this celebration was. Granted, first NHL goal, special occasion, I understand... he gets a pass. I just don't want to see that kind of crap all the time in the NHL, like some other sports. I can't stand the show boating in the NBA and NFL, and I certainly don't want it in the NHL.

I agree with your point, but again I'd like to say that this this WAS NOT his first NHL goal.  So that's not an excuse.

This is what his first goal, and celebration, looked like...

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#122 esteef

esteef

Legend

• HoF Booster
  • 8,874 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:34 PM

Morris went after someone else (Whitney I think) for yapping at him, not Yakupov.

esteef

"The Wings haven't won a Cup without Darren McCarty since 1955."

#123 VeGor

VeGor

Draftee

• 7 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:41 PM

I think the goal celebration vs the Kings was a bit over the top, but when you think about the context for that goal (game tying goal 5 secs before the end of the game, your teams goal was just disallowed...), I think it was ok. As for the game against the Yotes - I really don't see why it's any kind of a deal. And yeah, Morris went after Whitney.

#124 Pskov Wings Fan

Pskov Wings Fan

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

There is a difference between enthusiasm (see: Shane Doan when he scores a goal) and over the top enthusiasm - as this celebration was. Granted, first NHL goal, special occasion, I understand... he gets a pass. I just don't want to see that kind of crap all the time in the NHL, like some other sports. I can't stand the show boating in the NBA and NFL, and I certainly don't want it in the NHL.

I would say that Yakupov, or any other player for that matter, should pay very little attention to reaction to their celebrations as long as there is something to celebate. He is on the ice to score goals not to figure out what fans (of other teams) can or cannot stand. My guess is that there are no many Oilers fans who have a problem with Yakupov.

If league sees this as an issue they should come up with a penalty for excessive celebration.

#125 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 02:43 PM

Agreed. I want Yakupov to be the next Datsyuk. Not the next Dennis Rodman.

#126 Jesusberg

Jesusberg

1st Line All-Star

• Gold Booster
  • 1,607 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:07 PM

I really have no issue with Yakupov or his celebrations; I simply don't care that much. What I do think, however, is that he just has one of those faces that you want to punch. I'm sure it's completely irrational of me to say so, but he reminds me of Joffrey from Game of Thrones.

#127 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,534 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 03:57 PM

All Yakupov did was put his arms in the air and wait for his teammates. Morris should get suspended and a good beat down from an Oiler goon the next time they play if he actually threw those punches at Whitney because of the goal and not because of something that transpired before it. Whitney obviously didn't want anything to do with a fight.

Look at all those Oilers jerseys. Ah, Phoenix...lol

#128 RedWingsDad

RedWingsDad

Bigot

• Restricted
  • PipPip
  • 437 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:09 PM

Pretty sure Whitney mouthed a F you or F off at 1:35... which is probably why he got punched in the head.

Edited by RedWingsDad, 31 January 2013 - 04:12 PM.

Tim Thomas - Patriot and generally awesome human being.

Romans 10:13 - For whoever calls on the name of the Lord shall be saved.

#129 rrasco

rrasco

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,007 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:44 PM

I wasn't trying to say his last celebration was 'excessive'.  It was kind of weird though...kind of like sitting there saying 'come to me'.

Kronwalled.net - Keep Yer Head up Kid

MONEY ON THE BOARD: $10/Kronwalling (1), $1/goal by: Nyquist, Tatar, Jurco, Sheahan, disney.com (1), Andersson, Dekeyser, Pulkinnen, Ouellet, or Sproul.  2X MULTIPLIER: disney.com.  CONSOLATION PRIZE: $5/goal by: Datsyuk (3), $3/goal by: Z (1). MOTB TOTAL: $30

#130 Yzerfan1999

Yzerfan1999

Hall-of-Famer

• Silver Booster
  • 2,451 posts

Posted 31 January 2013 - 04:57 PM

I wasn't trying to say his last celebration was 'excessive'.  It was kind of weird though...kind of like sitting there saying 'come to me'.

Yeah I think it was a response to people getting pissed at his last celebration, as he skated away from his teammates.

Pretty sure Whitney mouthed a F you or F off at 1:35... which is probably why he got punched in the head.

Lol - If every player got punched everytime he told someone to F off, the refs would be pretty busy.

Something must have been up with Morris - maybe it was building all game, or maybe Whitney said something really bad.  Who cares though, Morris comes off looking like a psychopath

When you lose, say little. When you win, say less.

--Thanks for the Sig. Offsides--