58 replies to this topic

#21 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 07:39 AM

Thus begineth the over-ripening.

I would rather see a player of his caliber play a full season in the AHL getting top line minutes than play in the NHL getting 9-12 minutes a game on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Plus, playing in the AHL will help him with his development and confidence.

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#22 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:12 AM

I would rather see a player of his caliber play a full season in the AHL getting top line minutes than play in the NHL getting 9-12 minutes a game on the 3rd and 4th lines.  Plus, playing in the AHL will help him with his development and confidence.

Yep. Its damage control really, try to lessen then chance of ruining or hampering a prospects development. The Wings can't afford to do that with their high level prospects.

#23 Richdg

Richdg

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 08:20 AM

Nice. I am going the 12th to watch the Griffs, so will be able to watch him. With any luck maybe DD as well.

#24 Travis

Travis

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,460 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Now, I could be totally off-base because I don't know how long the tournament overseas lasts, but would he be at all eligible for the Griffins playoff run?

cc_champs-5_zps34057ff0.png

#25 Nightfall

Nightfall

My goal is to deny yours!

• Gold Booster
  • 3,738 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:14 AM

Now, I could be totally off-base because I don't know how long the tournament overseas lasts, but would he be at all eligible for the Griffins playoff run?

This would be nice, but I don't know.  Its possible.....

Christopher Brian Dudek
My Domain

#26 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:34 AM

No he is not, I don't believe. This article states more information though;

http://www.mlive.com...ct_calle_j.html

Jarnkrok cannot be called up by the Red Wings.

Holland said he asked NHL deputy commissioner Bill Daly if the Red Wings could bring Jarnkrok to North America now that his team, Brynas, is eliminated from the playoffs.

Daly spoke to the Swedish Ice Hockey Federation and and was told any player on the first year of an NHL entry-level contract who played in Europe this season would be allowed to come over and play in the AHL only. But, the player must return to his Swedish club by April 15 to play in tournament games and get ready for the World Championship.

“Next year, the plan is he'll come to North America and compete for a job in Detroit,'' Holland said. “This is an opportunity for him to experience North American hockey for 2½ weeks.''

Pavel Datsyuk - "Pasha" - #13
"Got no fun if you got no puck"
'"I like ladies" - Towards the Lady Byng trophy
"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

I'm Don Cherry and Danny DeKeyser is my Kadri.

#27 Marxx71

Marxx71

Danny DeKeyser

• 42 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 11:54 AM

This kid only weighs 175 lbs.  He's got a while before he's ready to play in the NHL effectively.  I am happy to see what he can do in the AHL though. 

Im pretty sure those stats are old, he have added a few more pounds now. I belive He weights around 180-185 lbs now. 

Edit: http://www.hockeylig...e/trupp/BIF/479 stats from this season. 82kgs, about 181 pounds.

Edited by Marxx71, 25 March 2013 - 11:56 AM.

#28 Son of a Wing

Son of a Wing

London Lions Captain

• Gold Booster
  • 1,713 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hoping someone with more insight could answer a question.

Why was he drafted so late?

- Ranked #4 Euro. #1 Swede. (Actual draft: #10 Euro, #4 Swede)

- The 3 Swedes drafted before him only played in the J20 SuperElit while he was already promoted playing in the Elitserien.

Was it simply just a size issue?

"The leader must never close the gap between himself and the group. If he does, he is no longer what he must be. He must walk a tightrope between the consent he must win and the control he must exert."
Vince Lombardi

When asked who won, Babcock said, “Well it doesn’t really matter as long as you don’t lose. It’s like going bear hunting, you take a slow guy with you in case the bear is hungry.”

#29 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 09:21 PM

any more info on this? how did his first day go?

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#30 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 25 March 2013 - 10:48 PM

Grand Rapids doesn't play until Thursday the 28th against San Antonio. That should be his first game and when we'll really know. I doubt they'll be releasing anything major other than videos of "hello, how do you like it?" until then.

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#31 paulb1320

paulb1320

Prospect

• 42 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:47 PM

Hoping someone with more insight could answer a question.

Why was he drafted so late?

- Ranked #4 Euro. #1 Swede. (Actual draft: #10 Euro, #4 Swede)

- The 3 Swedes drafted before him only played in the J20 SuperElit while he was already promoted playing in the Elitserien.

Was it simply just a size issue?

IIRC It was just a size issue, guy was 5'10 and around a buck fifty. If he was the same size he is now on his draft day he'd go in the 1st round.

Similar to how his cousin Elias Lindholm (6' 192lbs) is projected to go top 5-10, However Elias has a (marginally) higher ceiling than Calle.

Edited by paulb1320, 26 March 2013 - 06:50 PM.

#32 T.Low

T.Low

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,895 posts

Posted 26 March 2013 - 04:55 PM

Yep. Its damage control really, try to lessen then chance of ruining or hampering a prospects development. The Wings can't afford to do that with their high level prospects.

Yep.  One word: Edmonton.

#33 up2here

up2here

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 07:42 AM

Is it pronounced Yarn-Crock?

#34 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 08:09 AM

Is it pronounced Yarn-Crock?

Yes. I believe so.

#35 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:15 AM

http://fox17online.c.../#axzz2OkIECVXg

Nice article about Jarnkrok's first practice with the Griffs before they embark on their 6 game road trip.

“It’s smaller ice and the speed is much faster,” said Jarnkrok when comparing his first AHL practice to his time in Sweden. “I have to make all of my decisions faster. I think that’s the biggest change (I need to make),”

“He’s real, real smart. Competes real hard, strong on his skates for not a big guy, can really pass the puck and actually showed an ability to shoot the puck out there,” said Blashill. “He’s got lots of tools. Now it’s putting it together and showing you can be productive on the smaller sheet.”

Jarnkrok has been compared to Red Wings center Henrik Zetterberg and that’s just fine by him. Jarnkrok’s favorite team growing up was the Red Wings and his favorite player was Zetterberg. “When I watch him play, I try to take after what he’s doing good.”

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"

#36 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,690 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:20 AM

FINALLY this was the article i was hoping for!

#37 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:51 AM

Jarnkrok has been compared to Red Wings center Henrik Zetterberg and that’s just fine by him. Jarnkrok’s favorite team growing up was the Red Wings and his favorite player was Zetterberg. “When I watch him play, I try to take after what he’s doing good.”

Am I the only one who gets depressed a bit reading up on prospects who say they watched players like Z & Pavs "growing up"?  Man I feel old right now.

#38 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 10:52 AM

http://fox17online.c.../#axzz2OkIECVXg

Nice article about Jarnkrok's first practice with the Griffs before they embark on their 6 game road trip.

Lol...omgosh, anyone listen to Blashill at the end of that clip? Sounds like he's trying to mock/do his best impression of Babcock.

#39 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,955 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:20 AM

Wouldn't be shocked to see Pulkkinen pulled over to GR for some games yet this season.  Put him on Jarnkrok's wing & see what they can do.

#40 evilzyme

evilzyme

Games a gongshow.

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,094 posts

Posted 27 March 2013 - 11:23 AM

Lol...omgosh, anyone listen to Blashill at the end of that clip? Sounds like he's trying to mock/do his best impression of Babcock.

Had to watch it again, this time with the pre-disposition of Babcock's voice and ohhh mahhh gawdddd

"Hannnnnnnnnnk"
"Okay $5 now"