Photo
- - - - -

Which things from the past (not just Wings related) do you miss most?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#41 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 06:15 AM

I miss when the NHL was on TV in the UK - and on a free to air channel too, not pay TV.  2 live games per week, plus lotsa highlights, and often a tape delay game after the live game too.  Now, nada because Uncle Gary can't agree a lucrative enough deal.

Just another thing to thank Bettman for!

Well the guy is obviously on pair with two guys who destroyed the F1 forever: Mosley and Ecclestone I think these 3 are a legit disgrace to every sport but I also blame the owners, how can you allow a non hockey coming from a different sports-league to run the NHL? Thats just irrational I can't to see what sport he is going to destroy next..

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#42 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 09:50 AM

I miss these guys

russianfive_display_image.jpg?1266249771

#43 Nev

Nev

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,063 posts

Posted 25 April 2013 - 10:30 AM

Was it in San Jose? when they were all out on the powerplay and the crowd were chanting USA! USA! and they were just passing the puck amongst themselves till they eventually scored.  Pure win.

"If I can be totally honest, it's not a lot of guys you get impressed by. Actually, it's no one else but him. From the bench, to see what move he makes -- you're like, 'I wish I could do that.' Sometimes you sit on the bench and just think, 'wow,' and you look over to the other bench and they sit there and shake their heads, too. He has great, great skills. I'm probably not going to play with another player who has the kind of skills he has." Mikael Samuelsson on Pavel Datsyuk

#44 WINGS TILL DEATH

WINGS TILL DEATH

The Enforcer. "I want my name to be spagetti"

• Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:02 PM

Personally for me there are lot of things:

- bench clearing line-brawls

- enforcers dealing with pests

- thrilling trade-dead-lines, 1 of July and draft day

- creative contracts

- hockey played like a mans game

- less diving

- less political bulls*** flooding into the game

- powerforwards not getting called for clean-checks

- hipchecks! what happened to them?

- bone crushing clean hitts

- less suits in the arenas+

- players playing without helmets

- rivalries fueled with pure hatred for the opponent

- stacked line-ups probably one of the worst parts about the new new NHL is that so many teams are almost equal save for a few superstars

Given all these things, it doesn't surprise me how fast my interest in the NHL (not the sport iself) is dwindling down quickly.

Quoted for agreeance.

#45 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:18 PM

I miss the fact that play doesn't continue after someone lays another player out with huge, clean hit.  It pisses me off that players go after Kronwall (or any other player for that matter) after a huge hit.  To me, this should be called as delay of game if it immediately follows a legal hit.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#46 Seraph

Seraph

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,146 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 03:24 PM

Darren McCarty's bromance with Steve Yzerman.

Formerly known as The Nephilim.

QUOTE (Amberoonie)
Babs sure hurries himself into the presser, sits down, and f*cks up a bottle of water like no one in the room has had any for days.

#47 ogreslayer

ogreslayer

1st Line All-Star

• HoF Booster
  • 1,978 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:13 PM

Darren McCarty's bromance with Steve Yzerman.

Yzerman's bromance with Marty Lapointe

#48 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,587 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:25 PM

I miss the fact that play doesn't continue after someone lays another player out with huge, clean hit.  It pisses me off that players go after Kronwall (or any other player for that matter) after a huge hit.  To me, this should be called as delay of game if it immediately follows a big hit.

Agreed. 

Although I will say that with the speed of todays game - it might be hard for the opposition to judge if a hit on a teammate was in fact clean, or dirty...Many won't wait for the refs, or Shanny's form of justice, and will take matters into their own hands.

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#49 Rhah

Rhah

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 04:27 PM

Steve Yzerman

Brendan Shanahan

Dino Cicarelli

Dom Hasek

Dino Ciccarelli

For some reason in my memory banks, right or wrong they may be... I consider him the signature screen guy in front of the net getting deflections and garbage goals even more than Holmstrom is known for it. I don't know why but that is how I remember him. Or maybe it was from playing NHL 92 on Sega...

#50 NeverForgetMac25

NeverForgetMac25

Kate: Jr. Wing Nut

• Gold Booster Mod
  • 18,184 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:08 PM

Agreed. 

Although I will say that with the speed of todays game - it might be hard for the opposition to judge if a hit on a teammate was in fact clean, or dirty...Many won't wait for the refs, or Shanny's form of justice, and will take matters into their own hands.

My beef is when  its done immediately after the hit takes place.  I have no problem if you ask the player that laid your guy out to "go" the next shift, but when someone jumps the player that just blasted a guy on their team (specifically when its not an illegal hit and no call is coming), it should be delay of game.  You never saw this type of stuff until after the 2005 lockout.  It's BS.

It's amazing how much clarity comes when you care more about the Red Wings than any individual player.

"They are the best team in the world. They are a team that can just take over when they want to," Chicago's Patrick Kane said (of the Detroit Red Wings).

#51 Miss Wing Queen

Miss Wing Queen

Hockeytown's Helmetless Hero

• PipPipPip
  • 523 posts

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:24 PM

My figure from 2005.  :lol:

#52 red and white forever

red and white forever

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:29 AM

Edited by red and white forever, 08 May 2013 - 01:44 AM.

#53 red and white forever

red and white forever

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 01:40 AM

Konstintinov...This is what I miss :(

#54 Z Winged Dangler

Z Winged Dangler

Part 3: Return of the Hammer Hands

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,199 posts

Posted 08 May 2013 - 08:01 AM

I miss the fact that play doesn't continue after someone lays another player out with huge, clean hit.  It pisses me off that players go after Kronwall (or any other player for that matter) after a huge hit.  To me, this should be called as delay of game if it immediately follows a legal hit.

Me too.  No one can take a hit anymore. 

"I play hockey, but I am not very good.  Can someone please tell me what it would take to sign with the Wings ? I can use a million or two."  ~ arag

Dan Cleary is an Xbox 360.  While good for a while, it's time for the new generation to take over.

#55 ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

ToMaToToWnWinGsFaN_24

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,033 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 12:47 AM

My figure from 2005.  :lol:

whats wrong with your figure now?
its not about your appearance that should matter its all about whats on the inside.  :)

i miss the old Hockey Night in Canada Theme (so canadian of me)
i miss when arenas were just simple names and not named after companies. (i,e maple leaf gardens, montreal forum, civic arena, philadelphia spectrum, la memorial coliseum etc...
i miss seeing gretzky lemieux, yzerman, howe,  (just to name a few) on the ice. 

i miss when hockey wasnt run by someone that begins with ary and ends with ettman. 

i could go on and on but i wont :)

#56 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 03:57 AM

whats wrong with your figure now?
its not about your appearance that should matter its all about whats on the inside.   :)

i miss the old Hockey Night in Canada Theme (so canadian of me)
i miss when arenas were just simple names and not named after companies. (i,e maple leaf gardens, montreal forum, civic arena, philadelphia spectrum, la memorial coliseum etc...
i miss seeing gretzky lemieux, yzerman, howe,  (just to name a few) on the ice. 

i miss when hockey wasnt run by someone that begins with ary and ends with ettman. 

i could go on and on but i wont :)

I am a big fan of hockey night in Canada and especially Don Cherry, guy has seen more hockey than almost everyone on this planet and he knows a lot about the sport. Also a huge TSN fan, Dreger, McKenzie and LeBrun are by far the best hockey-insiders.

Oh an I miss having full seasons without and seeing guys like Illitch, Dolan being able to go crazy and create dynastylike teams!

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

#57 evilmrt

evilmrt

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 04:22 AM

Dino Ciccarelli

For some reason in my memory banks, right or wrong they may be... I consider him the signature screen guy in front of the net getting deflections and garbage goals even more than Holmstrom is known for it. I don't know why but that is how I remember him.Or maybe it was from playing NHL 92 on Sega...

Yeah, you're right. I remember him for the same thing, and just regarded Homer as his successor.
I miss those Dino/Homer types.
Is there another player along those lines out there at the moment?

#58 achildr1

achildr1

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 06:56 AM

Dominance, having either the best PP or PK or both, Jiri Fischer, having tough players on our team, guys that just shoot and are actually good at it (Shanny and Hull), one timers, old time hockey, fights, the feeling that both teams are beginning to seriously dislike each other, real rivalries, a time when i felt like whoever won a series was actually the better team, and a time when i felt like there wasnt so much questionable influence from Bettman/the league in suspensions, playoff series, or the draft lottery. I miss Draper's ethic, Lidstrom's dominance, Shanny/Hull's slapshot, Yzerman's whole game, and Duschene's smile. I miss the "must see TV" feeling of Wings/Avs. I miss knowing that the Wings would get someone at the trade dealine. I miss real, physical play. When everybody hit everybody and you didnt see guys getting runned because they made a clean hit.

Yeah, you're right. I remember him for the same thing, and just regarded Homer as his successor.
I miss those Dino/Homer types.
Is there another player along those lines out there at the moment?

I miss Homer and Lidstrom and not just because we arent as good without them. I miss watching the way they played. I was 11 when Homer was entering the league and I was starting to get serious about my own play in hockey. I very much modeled my game to a Maltby/Homer hybrid as I wasn't a dangler but was a pest and scored garbage goals aplenty. I used to practice deflecting pucks for hours on end and loved filling that role on my team. Even after i stopped playing, I loved watching Homer be the best at what he did. I was always a forward, although i played on my various team's PK unit, growing up but as I got older I became much more interested in game philosophy and the defensive part of the game and thats when i started to really watch Lidstrom. To me, outside of Datsyuk, Lidstrom was the most fun player on the Wings to watch because of how utterly brilliant he was. I think you have to know the game pretty intimatly to really grasp what he could do and I think I had to get older (then when I was young teen) to even understand him.

#59 Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

Sgt. Angry

• PipPipPip
  • 645 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 07:59 AM

OK, after a long absence, let me chime in here:

1. I miss the Russian 5. When Scotty first sprung them on the NHL, it was like they were playing against a neighborhood bantam team. I would like to get a time machine, and replace Kozlov with Datsyuk, and see what happens.

2. I miss the feeling of excitement for the future that I felt after the losses to San Jose and Toronto in the playoffs. You just knew better times were coming. Sadly, that feeling is absent with this group.

3. I miss the feeling of indignation I felt when Scotty traded away Ray Sheppard and Paul Ysebaert (sp?). But he ended up being right.

4. I miss games from the Montral Forum, listening to Danny Gallivan.

5. I miss Sergei Federov and Duane Rao doing the Metro-25 tire ads (Who is this bozo?)

6. I miss the younger and slimmer Leila Sbitani, in jeans and black pullover, in the early Belle Tire ads.

7. I hate to admit it, but I miss Ray Lane. He wasn't great, but I've never cared for John Keating.

8. I miss Gerard Gallant - what a perfect hockey name.

9. I miss Lefty Wilson. If you remember him, you're old!!!!

Edited by Sgt. Angry, 09 May 2013 - 08:01 AM.

Watch out!!!! - it's the Sheik ---- and he's got an object!!!!

#60 Icteria virens

Icteria virens

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 463 posts

Posted 09 May 2013 - 10:22 AM

I miss a lot of what's been said already but I'd like to comment on the butterfly style of most goalies in the league.

it's boring to watch b/c they all do the same thing, go down, cover 99% of the net, they are so big, their equipment is so big - that's enough to do it seems.

they are like robots with no imagination. I miss Hasek.