Personally for me there are lot of things:
- bench clearing line-brawls
- enforcers dealing with pests
- thrilling trade-dead-lines, 1 of July and draft day
- creative contracts
- hockey played like a mans game
- less diving
- less political bulls*** flooding into the game
- powerforwards not getting called for clean-checks
- hipchecks! what happened to them?
- bone crushing clean hitts
- less suits in the arenas+
- players playing without helmets
- rivalries fueled with pure hatred for the opponent
- stacked line-ups probably one of the worst parts about the new new NHL is that so many teams are almost equal save for a few superstars
Given all these things, it doesn't surprise me how fast my interest in the NHL (not the sport iself) is dwindling down quickly.