14 replies to this topic

#1 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:29 PM

Link

The next four-highest rated NHL games on the NBC Sports Network were all Stanley Cup finals games: Chicago-Philadelphia Game 3 in 2010 (1.97), Detroit-Pittsburgh Game 4 in 2009 (1.83), Detroit-Pittsburgh Game 3 in 2009 (1.69) and Chicago-Philadelphia Game 4 in 2010 (1.66).

The Wings will be missed in the West.

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#2 Holmstrom96

Holmstrom96

Banned Member

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,656 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:41 PM

I've got a brother-in-law in Seattle who isn't a hockey fan, but he really enjoyed watching the Hawks and the Wings.

Wings moving to the east might be bad for ratings, but it will really help Wings fans that can't stay up for 10:30pm games.

The west wouldn't have been so bad if they could start the games at 9:00PM ET.  Maybe even compromise with the west coast by starting games hosted in Detroit at 8:30PM, which would be 5:30 their time.

However, I'm more than happy to move to the east.  I think the rivalries with Toronto and Boston are going to be awesome. 

NBC commentators released their proposed new division names:

Division A:  Crosby Division

Division B:  Crosby Division

Division C:  Crosby Division

Division D:  Crosby Division

Edited by Holmstrom96, 30 May 2013 - 09:45 PM.

#3 dropkickshanahans

dropkickshanahans

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,578 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 09:46 PM

Interesting that the next four were games 3 and 4 from their respective series. Those must have been aired around the weekends. I wonder what Detroit-Pittsburgh game 7 was rated?

Edited by dropkickshanahans, 30 May 2013 - 09:48 PM.

#4 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,024 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 10:34 PM

This will only encourage the nhl to promote reffing that will even up a series. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#5 wingsfan4795

wingsfan4795

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,662 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 12:04 AM

Interesting that the next four were games 3 and 4 from their respective series. Those must have been aired around the weekends. I wonder what Detroit-Pittsburgh game 7 was rated?

It was probably on NBC, not NBC sports

Good rule of thumb is always take an octopus everywhere. Better to have one and not need it than find yourself thinking, "Damn, I wish I had that octopus".

-Buppy

#6 vladdy16

vladdy16

The rest are neophytes.

• HoF Booster Mod
  • 6,280 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 08:59 AM

And anyone with access was watching it on CBC instead.  Wonder what those ratings would have been?

Can't wait to read the "Phoenix: I still think it's a hockey market" chapter of Gary Bettman's autobiography. I'm guessing it's going to be chapter 11.

- mjlegend 3/9/2011

#7 puckloo39

puckloo39

Champion, MVP and still the best!!!

• HoF Booster
  • 21,525 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:06 AM

I am the only one who liked the west coast swings to Cali and western Canada, I guess.  Work and traffic will prevent me from seeing the first period, or more, of most games now, going forward.  I do like a lot of Eastern conference teams, however, so it will be fun to see them play again Boston, Sabres and Tampa Bay more often.

The good part is it will be easier on the Wings, with less travel and stress and expense to the club.   The worst part:  only one game on with Nashville per season, and that was where I actually got to SEE them and meet the guys, etc.  It was fun while it lasted!!

So.  When does the schedule come out for 2013-2014?  :lol:

puckloo39dom.jpg

“Next time I tell you someone from Texas should not be president of the United States, please pay attention."

Best ever

#8 wingslogo19

wingslogo19

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,234 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

That's pretty impressive

IPB Image

#9 Red Wings Addict

Red Wings Addict

This is how I watch Wings games

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,749 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:23 AM

Hate to be a buzz kill but I don't take this as particularly great news.

I really hate to hear that NBC's production style and the image they put out there is apparently a more than profitable sell to the public. I don't particularly dislike NBC but the people they employ to be their talking heads for the game of hockey/NHL simply shouldn't ever be in a position where their jobs are safe because of good ratings that mostly come from the two teams of the series.

#10 VM1138

VM1138

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,611 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:05 AM

I wonder what sort of ratings a Red Wings-Chicago Stanley Cup Final would bring.

Check out my short e-book on the Red Wings' 1937 Stanley Cup championship entitled: "Nothing Could Keep 'Em Down." Please download it from my profile at Smashwords: https://www.smashwor...ile/view/victor

New e-book: The Spanish-American War: A Brief History. Relatively short, introductory read for casual history buffs and people who want to learn more about a forgotten war that changed America. Available at BN.com, Smashwords, Kobo, and Diesel E-Books right now. Same link as above.

#11 MidMichSteve

MidMichSteve

Thanks to #5

• HoF Booster
  • 4,239 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:21 AM

Hate to be a buzz kill but I don't take this as particularly great news.

I really hate to hear that NBC's production style and the image they put out there is apparently a more than profitable sell to the public. I don't particularly dislike NBC but the people they employ to be their talking heads for the game of hockey/NHL simply shouldn't ever be in a position where their jobs are safe because of good ratings that mostly come from the two teams of the series.

Damn, you're right. NBCS might think we actually LIKE EddieO and his "subtle" bias. :scared:

I wonder how we could get a petition going that would demand that local announcers not be used from teams that are playing on NBC/NBCS?

From now on, Patrick Roy will be rolled out to and from the Avs' bench like Hannibal Lecter. - BottleOfSmoke

#12 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:50 AM

Damn, you're right. NBCS might think we actually LIKE EddieO and his "subtle" bias. :scared:

I wonder how we could get a petition going that would demand that local announcers not be used from teams that are playing on NBC/NBCS?

Just tell me where to sign

Edited by McAwesome, 31 May 2013 - 10:50 AM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#13 The Axe

The Axe

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,379 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 10:59 AM

That was my favorite game in 5 years. Both teams playing well and clean + good officiating. Walkom's call just bad timing. Not the wrong call.

#14 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,123 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 09:57 PM

Ya I liked the old west coast late night games....but all the old timers tell me Detroit and toronto and Detroit Boston were some of the best rivalries ever....so def excited for it.

#15 PavelValerievichDatsyuk

PavelValerievichDatsyuk

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 633 posts

Posted 31 May 2013 - 11:11 PM

Well i watched it on CBC. the fact that we'll have more CBC games something I'm looking forward to next year.