• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
krsmith17

Trade Proposal

Rate this topic

To be honest, I'm going a little stir crazy with the lack of hockey news / talk on the go lately so I just wanted to throw out a trade proposal to stir things up and cause a little controversy. LoL

So here it is...

To TOR: Jakub Kindl, Xavier Oulette, 2014 conditional draft pick

To DET: Cody Franson

I got a feeling some people are going to think this is over payment but you need to give up talent to get talent and Franson is the exact type of defenseman this team needs in my opinion. He's a young (25 year old), right handed shooting, big body (6'5", 215lbs.) defenseman that actually uses his big frame to his advantage. He had 124 hits last season, nearly doubling our leading defenseman (Ericsson had 67).

There is no doubt we would be giving up some good pieces, but again you have to give to get. Kindl is a very solid defenseman just coming into his prime (just one year older than Franson), Oulette is a very solid prospect that would be difficult to see go but we are extremely deep on defense prospects. We would still have guys like Sproul, Jensen, Almqvist, Backman, Marchenko, etc. soon to be ready to make the jump to the bigs with our already young defense group.

Imagine our defense for 2013-14 as...

Kronwall - Ericsson

DeKeyser - Franson

Smith - Quincey

Lashoff

That is a pretty impressive back end if you ask me...

Franson is just entering his prime and coming off a career year so it will definitely cost a nice bit to get this guy, but it could definitely be worth it. I remember watching him in Nashville a few years ago and I loved his game back then and he has only gotten better over the past few years.

The biggest problem is making a trade with our soon to be division rival. Both teams would have to be happy with what they're getting in the trade, and it would have to make sense to both teams financially as well, and I think that is the key. The Leafs are in a cap crunch, needng to resign Nazim Kadri (and Franson) so with Kindl signed for the next 4 years at a reasonable $2.4 mil per, it could be a better option than what Franson is looking for (upwards of $4 mil per year).

Bring on the controversy!!

The Wings have invested too much in Kindl to trade him for Franson.. That, along with shipping off one of our higher prospects is a drastic overpayment, IMO. Plus, now that DET and TOR are divisional rivals, don't expect any trades between the two teams.

I would say that Kindl and Franson are fairly close in skill. Kindl will be essential to our 2nd PP not only moving up the ice but he hits the net more than any of our Dmen. Ouellet is a super skilled responsible 2-way Dman. Sproul and Ouellet in 2 years will = Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Keep them both for sure. Our main concern is not D as we have so many skilled D prospects. The main focus was forwards and the issue is well in hand after getting Alfie and Weiss. The only trades that need to be made are roster and cap trimmers involving Tootoo and Eaves as they are the easiest pieces to move and Tuzzi/Sammy are likely too hard to move. There's no point in making any changes like that this summer. Wait until next summer when Alfredsson's contract is up and then try to move pieces to acquire a top 6 forward and let our D keep developing as it currently is.

Guest The Axe

I would say that Kindl and Franson are fairly close in skill. Kindl will be essential to our 2nd PP not only moving up the ice but he hits the net more than any of our Dmen. Ouellet is a super skilled responsible 2-way Dman. Sproul and Ouellet in 2 years will = Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk. Keep them both for sure. Our main concern is not D as we have so many skilled D prospects. The main focus was forwards and the issue is well in hand after getting Alfie and Weiss. The only trades that need to be made are roster and cap trimmers involving Tootoo and Eaves as they are the easiest pieces to move and Tuzzi/Sammy are likely too hard to move. There's no point in making any changes like that this summer. Wait until next summer when Alfredsson's contract is up and then try to move pieces to acquire a top 6 forward and let our D keep developing as it currently is.

All solid points. Nice post.

Just let our guys develop. Too many people act like these guys are as good as they'll ever be and need to be replaced. Quincey, Smith, Kindl, and Dekeyser are a pretty damn good 3-6 group.

For forward, after Alfredsson retires Tatar or Nyquist will move up.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

Sproul and Ouellet in 2 years will = Pietrangelo and Shattenkirk

are you for real with this

i mean

really

i mean

really

Who knows if they will reach their respective ceilings but both have the potential to be that good or better.

They were both defenceman of the year in their junior leagues, with Sproul taking the honor of CHL defenceman of the year on top of the OHL prize.

I wouldn't trade either for Cody Franson straight up.

Guest Crymson

Ouellet (spelling!) is an excellent prospect, and Franson is overrated. More, Franson wants much more than he's worth, and the Wings don't have the cap space to accommodate him.

I've always loved Kronner but I would swap him and Kindl for Doughty.

You mean the same Doughty who has trouble staying in shape and is no longer the #1 defenseman on his team?

Guest Crymson

There is no way the leafs will trade with the wings unless it makes them better we are now competitors

Given that they're not going to be able to keep Franson anyway, and given that they'll get in this trade, it would assuredly be to their advantage to take it. On the same note, it would be very bad for the Wings.

i mean

really

Yes I am. Those 2 should have been the top pairing on Canada's WJC team with Dougie Hamilton on the 2nd line. Ouellet was our best Dman on that team and that's only cause Sproul didn't get an invite due to prior injury. Sproul has even been compared to Pietrangelo by the same coach that worked with both Sproul and Pietrangelo and the only difference he noted was that Sproul was bigger and stronger. And Ouellet is exactly like Shattenkirk. So yes again, I'm for real.

Guest fat guy in a maltby jersey

Yes I am. Those 2 should have been the top pairing on Canada's WJC team with Dougie Hamilton on the 2nd line. Ouellet was our best Dman on that team and that's only cause Sproul didn't get an invite due to prior injury. Sproul has even been compared to Pietrangelo by the same coach that worked with both Sproul and Pietrangelo and the only difference he noted was that Sproul was bigger and stronger. And Ouellet is exactly like Shattenkirk. So yes again, I'm for real.

good luck with that.

No.

Sproul and oulett will be amazing together, they will be paired at every level together just so we have our future top two over ripened together.

Kindl for franson plus a fourth liner and a late round pick, plus a low level prospect would probably be enough now, but i don't think Holland would trade kindl away, were relying on him too much.