• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TheDetroitRedWings

Shawn Thornton attacks Orpik (leaves game on stretcher)

Rate this topic

166 posts in this topic

Manhandled? You make it seem like Cown shook Pavel like a baby. He skated by him and grazed his face. Nobody, aside from Red Wings fans, thought it was particularly vicious. You can make an argument that it doesn't matter, the head was touched and Cowen needs to be responsible for it. I'd have a hard time disagreeing.

But manhandling? Give me a break.

Edit: Also, why is it that the self styled defenders of "old time hockey" seem to think that every little offense resulted in a fight back then? Gordie Howe was notorious for elbowing yet only had 22 career fights. Why? Because nobody expected you to fight for throwing an elbow. So if you really want "Old Time Hockey", then when Pavel gets elbowed, you should expect him to stop being a pansy and take it like a man instead of wanting Babs to send out an enforcer.

Sorry, but a love tap doesn't concuss you. Manhandled might be a tad strong, but this was merely an example. I'm not going to totally derail this thread, but I will leave you with Gordie's elbows were legendary, yes, but he didn't use them unadvisedly. And the evolution of the game has had players focus on skill, not strength for the most part. This leads to the need for policemen.

Sorry, but a love tap doesn't concuss you. Manhandled might be a tad strong, but this was merely an example. I'm not going to totally derail this thread, but I will leave you with Gordie's elbows were legendary, yes, but he didn't use them unadvisedly. And the evolution of the game has had players focus on skill, not strength for the most part. This leads to the need for policemen.

I realize that there's a tendency to not want to say anything about a hockey hero that might come across as criticism. But if you think that Gordie Howe didn't use his elbows in an unadvised way, you probably need to take a look at some of the myriad of articles, interviews, commentary, etc. that make reference to how often he would be suspended or fined if he played today.

It's ok to be a fan boy, but to make Gordie Howe out to be some kind of gentleman does a disservice to what made Gordie Howe awesome in the first place. He didn't fight, but man was he dirty.

Maybe it's not an age or a generational thing. The more I know and learn, it just becomes harder for me to be entertained by naked violence.

If Lemieux turned out like Moore, would you still feel the same way? It doesn't matter why McCarty did it. Bert was doing it to stick up for naslund. It shouldn't be allowed because you run the unnecessary risk of severely injuring someone. Although I don't support fighting, it would have been far better to pummel Lemieux face to face, when he's consenting. Not some blindside punch he wasn't expecting. If Lemieux doesn't want to fight, put him into the boards, hard, every chance you get. Also, you could just win. How much does mccarty's fight mean if we ended up losing to the Av's in the playoffs?

Lemieux's hit from behind on Draper along the boards resulted in a broken cheek bone, a boken upper jaw, oral lacerations, and if I remember correctly - several teeth were lost.....What if Lemieux's hit on Draper resulted in far greater injuries?

McCarty's assault on Lemieux resulted in facial lacerations, probably a concussion, and public humiliation to millions of viewers.

The end result: the Detroit Red Wings bonded; came from behind to win that game in OT, and became a legit Cup contender for many years after.

Edited by F.Michael

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/story/?id=438921

looks like we'll have to wait until tomorrow to find out how many games thornton gets suspended.

has there ever been this long of a delay for a suspension?!

​at any rate, anything less then 20 games is a joke imo.

GTFO

Neal only got 5 games for his knee to the head, which was way worse than what Thornton did, so anything MORE than 5 games for Thornton is a joke.

Edit: though the NHL in general is a complete joke when it comes to discipline, and their complete hypocrisy when handing out discipline, so I fully expect Thornton to get 10, maybe more. We'll have to wait until Shanny spins his wheel of justice to see what happens.

Edited by sleepwalker

I agree with you on that.

But anything less than 20 games is a joke. Have we regressed to the point where this type of behavior is now tolerated?

GTFO

Neal only got 5 games for his knee to the head, which was way worse than what Thornton did, so anything MORE than 5 games for Thornton is a joke.

Edit: though the NHL in general is a complete joke when it comes to discipline, and their complete hypocrisy when handing out discipline, so I fully expect Thornton to get 10, maybe more. We'll have to wait until Shanny spins his wheel of justice to see what happens.

If it were only 10 games I'm thinking we would've heard from Shanahan by now...Me thinks the league will come down hard on Thornton.

I agree with you on that.
But anything less than 20 games is a joke. Have we regressed to the point where this type of behavior is now tolerated?

20 games sounds realistic.

The fact that get Neal got five...he shouldn't get more than five. But since the pens are the golden girls of the NHL Thornton will get double what he actually deserves.

frankgrimes and esteef like this

I think this very thread is evidence of how this situation isn't black and white. Some feel he should get 20 games, some feel he should get five. I don't know which way DPS is leaning, but I will be interested to hear their reasoning behind whatever the final number is...

I've read that Shanahan is examining this case very closely, as he wants to send a "message" regarding this type of shenanigans. But c'mon!!!

Does the League allow "lobbying" by owners, who want to act as lawyers representing their "client", who make a phone call to plead their client down to a lesser charge? If it happens, the rest of the free world doesn't hear about it.

The fact that get Neal got five...he shouldn't get more than five. But since the pens are the golden girls of the NHL Thornton will get double what he actually deserves.

Since Neal got less than he deserves, Thornton should get less than he deserves? Is that how you approach punishment for crime? Since one person has gotten away with murser, we shouldn't punish anyone for it.