• Please log in to reply
125 replies to this topic

#121 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 01:11 AM

I guess you're alright with 6 goals in 5 playoff games then.

Absolutely in fact its what I was hoping for. But hey let's count how many we scored and not how many we gave up( 14 in case you were wondering) or the amount of chances that were given up. How many games do you think you're gonna win giving up 14 goals in 5 games? I'll tell you how many, 1, and that's just by pure luck.

The offense didn't show up, but it had potential. The only thing the Defense had potential to do was, take a crap at center ice.

But, whatever it's the internet let's not be rational let's just make s*** up.

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#122 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,150 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:25 AM

Lol I was just about to say this. Some people just can't accept facts SMFH :(

#123 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 10:33 AM

Lol I was just about to say this. Some people just can't accept facts SMFH :(

Here are some facts for you: Last 4 games 14 goals, tons of scoring chances, not too mention countless empty nets that Boston missed. We didn't lose because the offense sucks we lost because we didn't play hard enough. The Wing's can Win with this offense, in fact they did win, The season doesn't just start in the playoffs you still have to get there. A healthy Pav and a healthy Z, along with the kids gaining experiance will change the dynamic of the offense next year. Though going forward  the offense needs to be upgraded but not as bad as the D, and that's a fact. Scoring is as much a defensive metric as its an offensive one. The breakout is enormously important, and the Wings current D is terrible at it which contributes to the lack of scoring. But I guess your right some people just can't accept facts. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#124 roboturner

roboturner

3rd Line Checker

• PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 11:42 AM

Well, from listening to Babs all year long it sound like the plan (or perhaps understanding) was they never going to score alot of goals in the first place. The plan was to rely on shutdown defense and great goaltending. Neither of those two things happened on a consistent basis this year.

Its a balance thing. You can build a great offense (sacrificing defense/goaltending), or build great defense/goaltending (sacrificing your own scoring). You have to find a balance in between. In the salary cap era it's pretty difficult, though not impossible, to do both (although its easy to do neither as Ken Holland has showed us!)

We didn't have a great offense the past few seasons, which would be acceptable if we had a great defense (including a great goalie). We don't.

We haven't had a great defense (or a great goalie) lately either, which would be fine if we scored alot of goals. We don't.

One of these areas has to be improved (I don't really even have a preference), because being average at both isn't working out now and its not going to work out in the future.

Edited by roboturner, 27 April 2014 - 11:44 AM.

#125 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,842 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 12:39 PM

Well, after the playoffs this year I just have a weird feeling one of the young guys will be included in a trade for a top 4 dmen. Whether it's Tatar, or Jurco I'm not sure. It's pretty obvious what we need for next year and unless Boyle or Markov sign with us we will have to go the trade route.

#126 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,991 posts

Posted 27 April 2014 - 02:38 PM

Last year the Pens...Crosby, Malkin, Neal, Iginla, Kunitz...managed just 2 goals in 4 games against the same team.