Posted 17 April 2014 - 11:38 AM

Any word on the defensive pairings?

#62 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,284 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:24 PM

"Playoff" Franzen (if you even want to call him that anymore) better show up or that's a complete waste of Pavel Datsyuk. Abby isn't so bad if Z is on the other wing, but bored Franzen makes that line a wreck.

There's a much bigger sample size of Pav and Franzen not clicking than Pav and Gus. Babs has been forcing Pav and Franzen together for years with no real success. Now it's just with Abby, instead of Bertuzzi.

Who the hell said Franzen should play with Datsyuk?  Not me.  Franzen-Legwand-Nyquist and Alfie-Dats-Abby.

It's that simple.

Edit:  Not Andy but rather Abby with Datsyuk.  Edited to reflect the change.

Edited by kipwinger, 17 April 2014 - 12:28 PM.

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#63 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:42 PM

By putting Gus with Dats, It should create space for one of them. I am afraid if you split them they will double team them. Gus although can be a little soft, I like his speed and hands vs Chara. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#64 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:50 PM

I thought the last few games the Jurco-Helm-Alfie line has played pretty well. Still it all depends on what happens on the top line and if we can get Frazen going. I'm really praying he wakes up a bit and plays like he did in the 08 playoffs because this series will be very very interesting.

Who do we think is going to sit when Z comes back? Ansar Khan reckons Glendening but I don't see him coming out.

temp 1

#65 amato

amato

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 12:52 PM

By putting Gus with Dats, It should create space for one of them. I am afraid if you split them they will double team them. Gus although can be a little soft, I like his speed and hands vs Chara. 

pretty good sample of that a few games ago if I recall correctly ;)

Datsyukian

Dat·syu·ki·an [dat-soo-kee-uh n]

adjective

1. When your moves are so amazing and beyond reason, the only way to describe them is "datsyukian."

#66 _SP_

_SP_

Rookie

• Pip
  • 166 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 02:48 PM

Who do we think is going to sit when Z comes back? Ansar Khan reckons Glendening but I don't see him coming out.

I hope it's Franzen!

Z-Dats-Abby
Gus-Helm-Alfie
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Glendening-Legwand

#67 GoWings1905

GoWings1905

Legend

• Gold Booster
  • 5,501 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:26 PM

I thought the last few games the Jurco-Helm-Alfie line has played pretty well. Still it all depends on what happens on the top line and if we can get Frazen going. I'm really praying he wakes up a bit and plays like he did in the 08 playoffs because this series will be very very interesting.

Not that I would necessarily agree with the decision, but my guess would be Jurco. Babs loves Glendening too much for him to sit.

"To whom much is given, much is expected."

#68 wings4thecup06

wings4thecup06

1st Line Sniper

• PipPipPipPip
  • 934 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 03:55 PM

Not that I would necessarily agree with the decision, but my guess would be Jurco. Babs loves Glendening too much for him to sit.

This is my way of thinking - I can't see Glendening sitting. Sure will be interesting to watch. 

temp 1

#69 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 04:57 PM

I really hope they put Franzen on the 3rd line. Make him earn his ice time. I like Dats and Goose together and the Jurco/Tatar/Sheahan line is awesome!

#70 Shaman

Shaman

Die hard Red Wing fan and realist.

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:16 PM

According to Redwings.com he's ruled out a round 1 return.

Feuer und Wasser kommt nicht zusammen
Kann man nicht binden sind nicht verwandt
In Funken versunken steh ich in Flammen
und bin im Wasser verbrannt
Im Wasser verbrannt

#71 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:34 PM

According to Redwings.com he's ruled out a round 1 return.

I got a sneaking suspision that there just saying that. And he will be back late in the first round. Just my thought tho

#72 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 05:42 PM

I got a sneaking suspision that there just saying that. And he will be back late in the first round. Just my thought tho

Zetty himself is trying for game 6 or 7 so til I hear otherwise I will continue to hope. As for who sits when zetty is back, I say it should be franzen assuming he continues to do nothing. Glendening has a role that he fulfills very well each game. Jurco is a constant contributed and has played well on any line he is on and competes. FranZen has done nothing and unless that changes he deserves to sit.

#73 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 06:01 PM

Zetty himself is trying for game 6 or 7 so til I hear otherwise I will continue to hope. As for who sits when zetty is back, I say it should be franzen assuming he continues to do nothing. Glendening has a role that he fulfills very well each game. Jurco is a constant contributed and has played well on any line he is on and competes. FranZen has done nothing and unless that changes he deserves to sit.

I cannot disagree with this statement, it's just hard taking the mule out cause he can singlehandedly win you a series ala colorado 08. But again it's hard to take glendening out cause he's a major pest and can shut down top lines. Then you love to jurco who has insane chemistry with sheahan and Tatar so he's hard to take out. The real question is do you think you can still have a good pk without miller, if yes then he goes out IMO. I would have

Z- pav- mule
Nyquist-Legwand-alfy
Tatar-sheahan-jurco
Abby-helm-glendening

First line could literally be unstoppable. Second line has speed with nyquist, Legwand is a solid playmaker and alfy can shoot the puck. You can also switch alfy and franzen. 3rd line we all know about. 4th line is about as close as you can get to the grind line.

The best thing about these lines is I feel comfortable with any of the lines up against any line on basically any team in the league.

#74 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:09 PM

To directly quote Zetterberg:

“Time-wise we were shooting for Round 2 if everything goes well.” 

This seems like the optimistic view is that he will start round 2. 

Edited by Shaman, 17 April 2014 - 07:10 PM.

Im Wasser verbrannt

#75 wings_fanatic

wings_fanatic

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 07:54 PM

Right but he also said he isn't ruling out game 6 or 7 so I guess we will have to see but I think he is aiming for late this series.

#76 Shaman

Shaman

• Silver Booster
  • 3,846 posts

Posted 17 April 2014 - 08:45 PM

Right but he also said he isn't ruling out game 6 or 7 so I guess we will have to see but I think he is aiming for late this series.

The term 'if things go well' tends to tell me that the optimistic prognosis is second round. Also that assumes this team can get to the late first round. 

Im Wasser verbrannt

#77 loutswings

loutswings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 06:36 AM

I think at this point we need to just go with the assumption Z will be out the whole series. I will keep saying it for Franzen to get hot make him earn his ice time. Only Babcock knows how he will respond to adversity. No sense of giving him valuable ice time when these youngsters are playing so well. 

#78 frankgrimes

frankgrimes

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,292 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 07:22 AM

The worst thing would be rushing him back, nobody is expecting this team to come out of the first round so Z should use all his time and energy to get fully healthy and get over with his back problem. Health > Hockey

kftx.jpg

The Offseason of truth ...

Welcome to hockeytown Jonas aka Lundquist 2 Gustavsson!

blank cheque for The Captain or Jim Star Nil please..

<< Win it for Mr. Hockey !

#79 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 April 2014 - 10:58 AM

Lines at today's practice. 

and now he switched them back  :shout: .... whats going on

I think Babs is messing with the media and keeping the bruins guessing on lines and Z.

Wings lines morning skate at TD Garden: Franzen-Datsyuk-Abdelkader, Tatar-Sheahan-Nyquist, Jurco-Helm-Alfredsson, Miller-Glendening-Legwand

Monica McAlister ‏@MonicaMcAlister  28m

RT @HammerFox2 Zetterberg is on the ice with his team this morning in Boston. Shooting pucks and moving pretty well. pic.twitter.com/ad9MTsyxX5

read what you want, I am not saying he will be back for Game 1 but I see him in for next weekend. *If necessary. 

Edited by Smite, 18 April 2014 - 10:59 AM.

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#80 swedishconnection

swedishconnection

Conn Smythe - as predicted since 2006

• PipPipPipPip
  • 881 posts

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:11 AM

Heres what WILL happen:

Franzen - Dats - Abby         (hate this line)

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist

Jurco/Miller - Helm - Alfie/Bertuzzi :(

Miller/Jurco - Glendenning - Legwand

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Here's what I think would be the most productive lineup with the assumption that sproul/oullet remain in the minors:

Nyquist - Dats - Abby

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Franzen - Helm/Legwand - Alfredsson

Miller - Glendenning - Legwand/Helm

Kronwall/Smith

Dekeyser/Lashoff

Quincey/Kindl

Lash/Kindl NEED to be separated if we have any chance of making it anywhere. That might be the worst D pairing I've seen in detroit in recent time. Smith can't be removed from Kronner as he is clearly at his best with someone reliable beside him. The bottom 2 pairings are balanced out as much as possible this way.

Dats has shown to not play well with franzen/alfie but I'm sure we'll still see that combination throughout the first round. IMO, he needs a player like abby with another fast skilled forward such as nyquist/jurco on his line. IF franzen decides to show up for a few shifts he'd be okay on datsyuks line as long as there is that skilled forward on that line as well. 

You Sir (or Madam), must not have been around for the Lilja / Lebda (or Meech) pairing. 

Lashoff has been nothing if not defensively sound and serviceable.  Nothing flashy, but ho-hum and gettin it done.

I will agree that Kindl does not impress.  He's been a liability more often than not, but at least the guy can skate.  Can't say that about Lilja.

Mickey is one of the only colour commentators I've heard that gets angry when his team gets a powerplay as a result of a crap call from an official.

-Hockeytown0001