80 replies to this topic

#1 WingedWheel91

WingedWheel91

Top Prospect

• Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:46 AM

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a thread (apologies if this topic is being talked about in a different one) to discuss line combinations for Round 1 against the Bruins. From everything I have heard, Zetterberg is hopeful for a Game 4/5 return, while Ericsson is looking at the start of Round 2.

Based on the past few games, I have found it toughest to gauge where Babcock is going to put Helm. It seems logical to think that a lot of that will depend on matchups (home/away) but it seems as though him and Legwand are Interchangeable.

Here is my best guess for Games 1-4.

Abdelkader - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Nyquist - Legwand - Franzen

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Miller - Helm - Glendenning

Kronwall - Smith

Dekesyer - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Howard.

Let me know what you guys think and how we stack up against Boston

#2 Nyquistfan14

Nyquistfan14

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,156 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:39 AM

Hi Guys,

I just wanted to start a thread (apologies if this topic is being talked about in a different one) to discuss line combinations for Round 1 against the Bruins. From everything I have heard, Zetterberg is hopeful for a Game 4/5 return, while Ericsson is looking at the start of Round 2.

Based on the past few games, I have found it toughest to gauge where Babcock is going to put Helm. It seems logical to think that a lot of that will depend on matchups (home/away) but it seems as though him and Legwand are Interchangeable.

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Kronwall - Smith
Dekesyer - Quincey
Kindl - Lashoff

Howard.

I'm hoping babs puts nyquist and pavel together. If it was me id go with...

Nyquist- datsyuk-alfy
Tatar-sheahan-jurco
Franzen-Legwand-helm
Miller-glenny-Abby

#3 Buppy

Buppy

1st Line All-Star

• Silver Booster
  • 1,989 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:57 AM

If it were me:

Franzen - Datsyuk - Nyquist -- Bergeron line and Chara.

Abby - Legwand - Alfie -- Soderberg line

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco -- Paille line

Miller - Helm - Glendening -- Krejci line

#4 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:09 AM

You lost Babcock at the first line because there's no "net front presence". Yeah, NyQ will go to the corners and retrieve pucks and he always seems to be lurking somewhere near the slot, but he's not going to be the guy that parks his ass in front for screens.

I'm hoping babs puts nyquist and pavel together. If it was me id go with...

Nyquist- datsyuk-alfy
Tatar-sheahan-jurco
Franzen-Legwand-helm
Miller-glenny-Abby

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#5 FifeHockeyNut

FifeHockeyNut

Rookie

• Pip
  • 174 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:22 AM

Hi Guys,

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Kronwall - Smith
Dekesyer - Quincey
Kindl - Lashoff

Howard.

I think these lines are probably best, the way out roster is at the moment having Datsyuk and Nyquist on the same line makes the Chara matchup easy for Julien, by splitting them I think we have more chance of causing them trouble, also think babcock wants them to be kept separate so Gus doesn't feel he has to always give the puck to Pav.

#6 Smite

Smite

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 02:29 PM

bigger questions is who comes out if/when Z is healthy. What does Babs do when E comes back on Defense. Smitty and Kronner has pleased really good together. 

"When the cast comes off, I ask my doctor, 'Have I recovered so I can play the violin?' The doctor says, 'But of course you can play the violin.' I say, 'Wow, this is great. Before this injury, I could never play violin at all. I must break the other hand so I can play guitar.'" –Pavel Datsuk on breaking his hand

#7 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:00 PM

I want to see;
Nyqvist Datsyuk Abdelkader
Alfredsson Legwand Franzen
Jurco Sheahan Tatar
Miller Glendenjng Helm

#8 WingsallTheway

WingsallTheway

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 04:50 PM

Heres what WILL happen:

Franzen - Dats - Abby         (hate this line)

Tatar - Sheahan - Nyquist

Jurco/Miller - Helm - Alfie/Bertuzzi :(

Miller/Jurco - Glendenning - Legwand

Kronwall - Smith

Dekeyser - Quincey

Kindl - Lashoff

Here's what I think would be the most productive lineup with the assumption that sproul/oullet remain in the minors:

Nyquist - Dats - Abby

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Franzen - Helm/Legwand - Alfredsson

Miller - Glendenning - Legwand/Helm

Kronwall/Smith

Dekeyser/Lashoff

Quincey/Kindl

Lash/Kindl NEED to be separated if we have any chance of making it anywhere. That might be the worst D pairing I've seen in detroit in recent time. Smith can't be removed from Kronner as he is clearly at his best with someone reliable beside him. The bottom 2 pairings are balanced out as much as possible this way.

Dats has shown to not play well with franzen/alfie but I'm sure we'll still see that combination throughout the first round. IMO, he needs a player like abby with another fast skilled forward such as nyquist/jurco on his line. IF franzen decides to show up for a few shifts he'd be okay on datsyuks line as long as there is that skilled forward on that line as well. 

wingsalltheway.jpg

Pavel datsyuk is the best player in the world because he snatches the puck from unsuspecting players and  follows it up by the simultaneous undressing of the defence pairing. The goalie then gives up, and flops like a fish. The end result is a calm skate back to his bench  where he can bask in the praise of his multiple girlfriends from the motherland.

#9 McAwesome

McAwesome

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,573 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 07:35 PM

I would go with:

Abdelkader/Datsyuk/Nyquist

Alfredsson/Legwand/Franzen

Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco

Miller/Glendening/Helm

Kronwall/Smith

DeKeyser/Quincy

Lashoff/Kindl

Hard to come up with a combo of Quincey, Lashoff, and Kindl on that bottom pairing that isn't cringeworthy, but Q has been making fewer bonehead plays lately, so keeping him with DeKeyser offsets the inevitability as DD can cover any brainfarts. Lashoff/Kindl is still a turd sandwich, just not a soggy one, limit their ice time and for the love of YFMB keep Kindl off the PP!

Edited by McAwesome, 14 April 2014 - 08:25 PM.

7yss.jpg

Thanks MabusIncarnate

#10 Nevermind

Nevermind

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 567 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 08:13 PM

Abdelkader-Datsyuk-Nyquist
Franzen-Helm-Alfredsson
Tatar-Sheahan-Jurco
Miller-Legwand-Glendening

Roll 4 lines just like Boston.

#11 GMRwings1983

GMRwings1983

The Killer is Me

• Silver Booster
  • 21,065 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:08 PM

Nyquist - Datsyuk - Alfredssson

Franzen - Legwand - Cleary

Jurco - Sheahan - Tatar

Abdelkader - Helm - Glendenning  

According to my profile, my reputation is excellent. LOL.

#12 Echolalia

Echolalia

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,228 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:18 PM

Most of us are on the same page with lines, it seems.

#13 kipwinger

kipwinger

Legend

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,511 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 09:52 PM

Not I said the fly.  When Nyquist is on a line with Dats he doesn't seem to produce.  Leave him with Legwand and Franzen and but Dats with Alfie and Abdelkader until Z gets back.  Nothing about Dats and Nyquist playing together thus far has been a success, the only reason everybody likes it is because they're mesmerized by the thought of the two together...regardless of the cold hard reality. 

GMRwings:  "Well, in other civilized countries, 16 years old isn't considered underage.  For instance, I believe the age of consent is 16 in Canada.  There's some US states where it's 16 as well.  

Get off the high horse.  Not like she was 10."

"Some girls are 17 even though they look 25."

#14 Wheelchairsuperhero

Wheelchairsuperhero

Wizard

• PipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:10 PM

I would go with:

Abdelkader/Datsyuk/Nyquist
Alfredsson/Legwand/Franzen
Tatar/Sheahan/Jurco
Miller/Glendening/Helm

Kronwall/Smith
DeKeyser/Quincy

Lashoff/Kindl

Hard to come up with a combo of Quincey, Lashoff, and Kindl on that bottom pairing that isn't cringeworthy, but Q has been making fewer bonehead plays lately, so keeping him with DeKeyser offsets the inevitability as DD can cover any brainfarts. Lashoff/Kindl is still a turd sandwich, just not a soggy one, limit their ice time and for the love of YFMB keep Kindl off the PP!

I'd swap Nyquist and Alfie, otherwise totally agree. I just feel like that second line won't produce without Nyquist and if I recall his hot streak was in full steam when he was with Legwand and Franzen. Either way I just want to see Jurco back on the kid line.

#15 FireCaptain

FireCaptain

This space for rent.

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,936 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

No, we're not.

Attached File  2.jpg   332.78KB   9 downloads

;)

Most nights, my posts are brought to you by some sort of IPA and a heaping dose of sarcasm.
Success has a thousand fathers, failure is an orphan.
We not score, is hard to win. - Pavel Datsyuk #13

#16 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:42 PM

You guys are going to hear a lot of bitching from me if Jurco isn't with Tatar, and Abby is on the top line. 

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#17 wings87

wings87

Wake Up!

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,039 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 10:48 PM

Not I said the fly.  When Nyquist is on a line with Dats he doesn't seem to produce.  Leave him with Legwand and Franzen and but Dats with Alfie and Abdelkader until Z gets back.  Nothing about Dats and Nyquist playing together thus far has been a success, the only reason everybody likes it is because they're mesmerized by the thought of the two together...regardless of the cold hard reality. 

They haven't- doesn't mean they won't, Pav wasn't anywhere near game shape when he came back which hasn't exactly been ideal for Gus. I still think they can find chemistry together.

The Abby Dats Alfie line, isn't something I"d be able to handle long term. Alfie was terrible towards the end and I hate when Abby plays with Pav.   

"He usually shows up when the game is over and tries to be the hero. Puts his cape on and goes and flies out there." ~ Franzen 

#18 cnot19

cnot19

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 590 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:07 PM

I simply want the kid line to get second line minutes
Ill go with
Mule dats Gus
Tatar sheahan jurco
Alfredsson legwand abdelkader I think all three have offensive ability

Then go glendening helm and in my wet dream tootoo but realistically miller
Get me a real fourth line Kenny!

#19 rick zombo

rick zombo

Grit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,484 posts

Posted 14 April 2014 - 11:51 PM

It will be interesting to see if Babcock gets the kid line drunk and gives them revolvers, or if he hog-ties them to a post and plays 20-41-17 for like 30 minutes in game 1. 

It will be interesting to see if Babcock gets the kid line drunk and gives them revolvers, or if he hog-ties them to a post and plays 20-41-17 for like 30 minutes in game 1. 

Also, I’m going to quote myself here + add that 20-41-17 IMO is a pretty awesome 4th line. 

"In Detroit, every day is a good day to win"

#20 LAWings

LAWings

Rookie

• Pip
  • 161 posts

Posted 15 April 2014 - 12:06 AM

We saw how well the kids played with Dats and Z out, so why not creat havoc for the B's and put Dats on the 3rd line?

Tatar - Sheahan - Jurco

Helm - Datsyuk - Alfredsson

Miller - Glendenning - Abdelkader

It may look strange, but how do you counter that?