• Please log in to reply
34 replies to this topic

#21 krsmith17

krsmith17

2nd Line Scorer

• PipPipPip
  • 524 posts

Posted 08 July 2014 - 09:34 AM

My point was that no YOUNG player is ever given anything. You know, the one's that have never proven anything as a pro. Sure, sometimes veterans get the nod before a kid, but like I said, I don't mind that, to a certain extent of course.

#22 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 08:24 PM

#23 BottleOfSmoke

BottleOfSmoke

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,169 posts

Posted 08 August 2014 - 09:07 PM

Aw man I can't wait until they do one of those for Hampus Melen. Then we can have a Hampus Melen thread, and I can get a Hampus Melen jersey to wear to games at Hampus Melen Arena in honor of our new captain Hampus Melen. The future sounds amazing!

But anyway Alexei Marchenko!

Edit: Alexey? Alexee? Hampus?

Edited by BottleOfSmoke, 08 August 2014 - 09:08 PM.

LGWsig_zpsa75c5d1e.jpg

#24 F.Michael

F.Michael

Old School Dynamic Duo

• HoF Booster
  • 7,671 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 02:20 AM

Aw man I can't wait until they do one of those for Hampus Melen. Then we can have a Hampus Melen thread, and I can get a Hampus Melen jersey to wear to games at Hampus Melen Arena in honor of our new captain Hampus Melen. The future sounds amazing!

But anyway Alexei Marchenko!

Edit: Alexey? Alexee? Hampus?

Have you been hittin' the Lagavulin again?

'Evolution' created by Offsides

#25 number9

number9

All The Best Players Wear A 9

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,738 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 08:58 AM

Jiri Fischer is the new Morgan Freeman

Marchenko is the new Fetisov

Hampus Melen is the new Hampus Melen

#26 LeftWinger

LeftWinger

42 years in Detroit! Time to spend the rest in paradise!

• Silver Booster
  • 8,735 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 12:36 PM

I'm hoping this positive experience with Marchenko will warm the Wings to taking more Russian born players. I think we have passed on some real talent in the past due to the russian factor.

taking nothing away from Nick and Homer, which are by far the best Swedes we have had. Z is up there as well, but this team accomplished far more with Russians than the recent influx of Swedes. I am not sure why they started shying away from Russians compared to before...did the talent pool dry up?

Don't Be Jealous, But I Live Here...

www.thinkdunes.com

Nestrasil, yes...Cleary....No!

Dump Q and K Now!

#27 arag

arag

1st Line Sniper

• HoF Booster
  • 782 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:02 PM

Four of the Russian 5 unit are legends. Those kind of players are once in a lifetime. Sorry to say, but it is pretty much impossible to built a team like that anymore. Those kind of players simply do not exist anymore. There will not be another Fedorov or Fetisov, Lidstrom or Forsberg. This were the best of the best representing Russians and Swedes.

Edited by arag, 09 August 2014 - 01:08 PM.

#28 dirtydangles

dirtydangles

Hall-of-Famer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,845 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 01:09 PM

taking nothing away from Nick and Homer, which are by far the best Swedes we have had. Z is up there as well, but this team accomplished far more with Russians than the recent influx of Swedes. I am not sure why they started shying away from Russians compared to before...did the talent pool dry up?

I completely agree that we should have been jumping on the opportunity to draft Russians (talented kids were falling into the second round quite regularly just due to KHL factor). We have a great history with Russians and we have Datsyuk for the next while and he is the perfect motivation for a Russian kid to pick the NHL over the KHL. I can't help but think that we have missed out on a good many years of Russian prospects sprinkled into our system that could have been something in Detroit. 

Is there a kickstarter campaign for Jakub Kindl to never play another NHL game?

#29 darkmanx

darkmanx

Toronto's Finest

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,723 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 03:26 PM

Their is 34 active Russian players in the NHL. Maybe they don't want to play in the NHL because they get paid a lot more in the KHL...

#30 DickieDunn

DickieDunn

http://redwingsandotherthings.wordpress.com/

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,514 posts

Posted 09 August 2014 - 05:31 PM

The KHL is there for all but the stars, who can generally make more here. Why use a draft pick on a guy who is projected as a second line winger when he could make as much or more being a top line player in the KHL

Oh this young man has had a very trying rookie season, with the litigation, the notoriety, his subsequent deportation to Canada and that country's refusal to accept him, well, I guess that's more than most 21-year-olds can handle... Ogie Ogilthorpe!

#31 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 09:57 AM

The KHL is there for all but the stars, who can generally make more here. Why use a draft pick on a guy who is projected as a second line winger when he could make as much or more being a top line player in the KHL

Kovalchuk makes way more in the khl, and he made a lot here. Movie could definitely make more in the khl.

#32 AtlantaHotWings

AtlantaHotWings

4th Line Grinder

• PipPip
  • 283 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 10:47 AM

Kovalchuk makes way more in the khl, and he made a lot here. Movie could definitely make more in the khl.

Not to mention native language family etc could weigh in on decisions
"Wakie, wakie hands off Snakie" - Jason Lee of Earl

#33 DeGraa55

DeGraa55

1st Line All-Star

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,746 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 03:42 PM

But even with him making more in khl there's still been rumors I believe that he would come back. Now will it happen? I don't know it's just rumors....i would've liked to have seen him with days though....but it won't happen :(

#34 Euro_Twins

Euro_Twins

Healthy Scratch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,479 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:25 PM

But even with him making more in khl there's still been rumors I believe that he would come back. Now will it happen? I don't know it's just rumors....i would've liked to have seen him with days though....but it won't happen :(

I was only commenting on the star players will make more in the nhl comment. I believe the nhl is a far superior league to play in.

#35 TimeBinder

TimeBinder

The continuum must be bound

• PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 10 August 2014 - 05:58 PM

What happened to the Marchenko thread??  I thought there was something new or news about him.  Way to stay on topic. :) Good Ole' Russian 5

Pain is just weakness leaving the body.