• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Ekmanc

Give Patrick Hersley a shot?

Rate this topic

I know we have a large group of defensemen in the AHL who are looking for a job with a big club but no one outside of possibly Sproul who can fill the role of PP quarterback in a good way so I figured I'd float this idea at least.

Why not give Patrick Hersley a look? he's a late bloomer, a 28yr old Swedish defenseman who is fairly big at 6'3, 209lbs and has an absolutely booming shot. He broke the 15yr old goal record be a defenseman in the Swedish hockey league with 24goals and he had in total 35points in 51 games, most of those on the powerplay. This year he just won the KHL allstar hardest shot competition and he currently has 15 goals and 29points in 46 games.

I don't know how he would perform defensively but he would give us a new weapon and a threat that we haven't had on the PP for a while now.

Oh and he's a RH shot too so might be worth looking at at least or what say you??

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=1288

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5LKUho-wszQ

Edited by Ekmanc

I never have a problem signing a guy like that to a two way contract, but I'd be really surprised if he could contribute in the NHL right away. The transition from big to small ice takes a while. I'd certainly look into it though.

Those are both valid issues but we all know how incredibly hard it is to find a scoring defenseman that can control your powerplay, They're almost impossible to acquire these days and a longshot like this might be worth trying out? I'm fairly certain he'd be much better already than DK, KFQ, Smith or whoever we use on point in PP these days outside of Kronwall possibly.

PP ability is fine but you need a lot more than that in the NHL.

Of course but he's not bad at the other stuff either, he might need some time to get into it but he could give us a huge weapon on PP that we really have no other way of acquiring.

I agree and I'd definitely look into it, but we have a log jam of D already, so unless we trade 2 dmen, possibly 3, I just don't see it happening.

If we sign Petry, which looks like it has a probable chance of happening at this point. We'd have Kronner, E, Kindl, Smith, Lashoff, Ouellet, DK, Quincey, Petry all vying for regular NHL spots. That's 9 guys playing for 7 spots. Adding Hersley would make it 10 guys. We could trade Kindl, waive Lashoff and keep Ouellet down (won't happen), but that still puts Hersley as the 7th dman, unless he outplays Smith. So you could send Hersley down and keep Ouellet up, but then Smith is the 7th dman, which I don't think they want either. And at that point unless there are 2 injuries we don't see Hersley in the NHL for a year anyways.

Basically a lot would have to happen for it to be a possibility. But we should explore it.

Pretty much in agreement with all that's been said here. It's not a bad idea, but there's simply no room (8 NHL defenders if you include Ouellet).

Even if he did agree to start the season in the AHL, it's going to be a critical year for Sproul, Marchenko and Jensen. Assuming none of them are brought up ahead of schedule, next season is going to go a long way in determining their future in Detroit. As such, I would imagine that management wants to give them as much ice time and as much of a chance to prove themselves as possible.

That could be someting that could be addressed July 1st. If he were to sign now, he'd have to pass through waivers via entry into the NHL just like Nabokov had to. He may not get claimed, but why risk it when he could be had July 1st. I know about the log jam, but signing him to a 1 year deal would make for some healthy compitetion come September and as a last resort (although not a popular option) they 4 guys with exemptions can always go to GR to start the season. I know Ouellet is on the fast track to being a permanent Red Wing, but he has that exemption hanging over his head and could very well find himself starting in GR, especialy if Holland signs an "experiment" or someone like Petry. I don't think this guy would leave the KHL money to play in GR, so it would have to be NHL or nothing...and we know our history with those type of players...

I know you guys are right but this player still offers something important that none of our current players or prospects do. I doubt it's going to happen too but it would be nice if at least one of our 6 dmen could put up some points.

I have a feeling we'll see Hersley in the NHL one way or another within a season or two here.

Put Smith or Sproul in a European league and let them just play offense and I bet they'd score a ton, too. Points is a lesser league are pretty meaningless and there are reasons these guys don't get drafted and don't come here early on.

Put Smith or Sproul in a European league and let them just play offense and I bet they'd score a ton, too. Points is a lesser league are pretty meaningless and there are reasons these guys don't get drafted and don't come here early on.

They'd score points but sorry nowhere near what Hersley has put up. There are a lot of capable defensemen in the KHL right now and he leads them all. He also has an absolute booming shot that at least Smith can only dream of and he is a big body and right hand shot. Where do you suppose we find these qualities elsewhere??

Btw Sproul has 3 goals so far this season in 37 games in the AHL which is a clearly lesser league compared to the KHL where Hersley has 15 goals now in 46 games. And granted he is 6years older but he also has 30lbs on Sproul.

Also this guy was drafted, he is however as I said a bit of a late bloomer.

Edited by Ekmanc

What makes you think he's a late bloomer and not just an AHL washout that happens to be doing pretty well in Europe?

Granted there's really nothing to lose in offering him a tryout, though I wouldn't expect much from him. Though considering he already left the minors once, I doubt he'd be interested in anything but a guaranteed NHL spot.

What makes you think he's a late bloomer and not just an AHL washout that happens to be doing pretty well in Europe?

Granted there's really nothing to lose in offering him a tryout, though I wouldn't expect much from him. Though considering he already left the minors once, I doubt he'd be interested in anything but a guaranteed NHL spot.

I've followed his career for years now, I watch a lot of SHL and other leagues and he's taken huge steps in the last couple of years. Also I don't subscribe to the theory that everyone who doesn't make the NHL right away at 19-21 yrs old are not talented enough to ever play there. People mature at different ages and there are tons of reasons why a young kid might not be ready until a few years later.

He left NA when he was 19 as a 5th round pick. When a player leaves that quickly I think it's safe to say they're not coming back.

When did Hasek make the NHL? St Louis?

It's not exactly unheard of for people to make it when they're a little older. You'll see this dude in some team within 2 years, count on it.

Edited by Ekmanc

I edited my original post but Hasek and St Louis come to mind, Lindström in St Louis now just came back to the NHL, Ducks goalie Andersen didn't come over til he was 24-25, Oilers goalie Viktor Fasth was 30-ish when he played his first NHL game. Carl Söderberg in Boston came over when he was 27-ish and is playing great right now.

Not every player is gonna be a fully formed superstar at 19.

Edited by Ekmanc

I edited my original post but Hasek and St Louis come to mind, Lindström in St Louis now just came back, not every player is gonna be a superstar at 19.

How in the world do you see similarities between this guy and St. Louis and Hasek?

I didn't ask if he was going to be superstar. I asked if he was going to come back.

PS Joakim Lindstrom is a terrible example and a fringe player at best

I didn't say I saw similarities I'm just saying it does happen that players are not mature enough at 19-20 or don't really understand what it takes but if you're that young you have a lot of time to improve and work on it and come back when you're older and more experienced.

I edited my original post but Hasek and St Louis come to mind, Lindström in St Louis now just came back to the NHL, Ducks goalie Andersen didn't come over til he was 24-25, Oilers goalie Viktor Fasth was 30-ish when he played his first NHL game. Carl Söderberg in Boston came over when he was 27-ish and is playing great right now.

Not every player is gonna be a fully formed superstar at 19.

Lol! Ya, just ask Edmonton!

I didn't say I saw similarities I'm just saying it does happen that players are not mature enough at 19-20 or don't really understand what it takes but if you're that young you have a lot of time to improve and work on it and come back when you're older and more experienced.

And what I was asking was: exactly how many times has that happened?

You named Hasek and St. Louis which made no sense.

Edited by number9

And what I was asking was: exactly how many times has that happened?

You named Hasek and St. Louis which made no sense.

I mentioned several players just off the top of my head but fine Söderberg in Boston then, or is he a s***ty fringe player too?

Also not sure how Hasek and St Louis doesn't make sense to you, they both didn't become regulars in the NHL until later in their careers.

Edited by Ekmanc

I mentioned several players just off the top of my head but fine Söderberg in Boston then, or is he a s***ty fringe player too?

Also not sure how Hasek and St Louis doesn't make sense to you, they both didn't become regulars in the NHL until later in their careers.

Niether Hasek nor St. Louis left for almost 10 years and then returned, Plenty of players enter late, that doesn't mean they have anything in common with Hersley.

Soderberg never left NA and then came back, what are you talking about?

But either way this thread isn't about Hasek or St Louis so let's try to not derail it any further.

The backpedaling begins