• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

1/20 SUNDAY!!! SUNDAY!!! SUNDAY!!! GDT - Red Wings @ Canucks - 4:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

33 minutes ago, Dabura said:

Vanek is pissing me off lately because he makes the most braindead plays you'll ever see but at the end of the night he's got a couple of points.

Which just shows how much natural talent he has, when he can look lazy and lost yet still end up with points. Imagine if he gave his all every shift?

57 minutes ago, krsmith17 said:

This is a very bad team right now. No one is saying that Athanasiou is elite or anything, but he is definitely deserving of top six minutes over Vanek. If you disagree with that, you're either not watching the games, or just trolling Jonas...

AA deserves ice time over any vets. He's part of the future of this team. Vanek is not.

Just now, chaps80 said:

Which just shows how much natural talent he has, when he can look lazy and lost yet still end up with points. Imagine if he gave his all every shift?

Thing is, I think he actually *is* giving his all.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't retire after the season's over.

1 hour ago, krsmith17 said:

This is a very bad team right now. No one is saying that Athanasiou is elite or anything, but he is definitely deserving of top six minutes over Vanek. If you disagree with that, you're either not watching the games, or just trolling Jonas...

Say you were the coach and you've told AA on multiple thousand ******* occasions as a winger that his job is to squeeze the puck out of the Wing's end along the boards at all costs. Then he goes out and wiffs at the puck at the blue line like an old man trying to swat a fly with a wet newspaper. Do you say " cool man, go play with Larkin all day"? 

FTR I think Vanek blows just as much or more as a winger in his own end. 

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

Thing is, I think he actually *is* giving his all.

I'll be surprised if he doesn't retire after the season's over.

He may be, or just doesn't care anymore. I'm surprised he didn't retire after ending up in Florida at the 2017 deadline. He made over $10 million that season with his $7.5 million buyout from Minny and $2.6 million Detroit deal. 

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

He may be, or just doesn't care anymore. I'm surprised he didn't retire after ending up in Florida at the 2017 deadline. He made over $10 million that season with his $7.5 million buyout from Minny and $2.6 million Detroit deal. 

I think his body's just failing him at this point. Kinda hard to watch at times.

There could be some laziness mixed in there tho,

1 minute ago, Dabura said:

I think his body's just failing him at this point. Kinda hard to watch at times.

There could be some laziness mixed in there tho,

2016-17 he looked great though. Reminded me of having Hossa around again, the way he'd just make shootout goals look effortless picking corners from over the blue line. He is getting up there though, getting rough. He signed for one year with an NTC on a team not expected to make the playoffs (and won't) where he isn't expected to be more than a secondary scorer. Easy $3 million.

30 minutes ago, The 91 of Ryans said:

Say you were the coach and you've told AA on multiple thousand ******* occasions as a winger that his job is to squeeze the puck out of the Wing's end along the boards at all costs. Then he goes out and wiffs at the puck at the blue line like an old man trying to swat a fly with a wet newspaper. Do you say " cool man, go play with Larkin all day"? 

FTR I think Vanek blows just as much or more as a winger in his own end. 

If "I" were the head coach, I'd have Athanasiou in the top six ahead of Vanek, despite his defensive deficiencies. And as far as I've seen, that's all anyone has been saying. Again, no one that I've seen is calling him elite or anything. But yeah, I'd probably consider giving one of our most explosive offensive players more minutes and better linemates for a few games...

And yes, Vanek does blow, but I've been just as disappointed with him in the offensive zone as the defensive zone. I can't count how many times we've had full control in the attacking zone and he's thrown a blind pass to no one, or the other team. He's been extremely hard to watch, but he continues to get top six minutes and power-play time... because "he's a veteran", and "he's paid his dues"... 

7 hours ago, Jonas Mahonas said:

Ha ha ha.  Another unfounded knock on AA.  Larkin is a minus 6 and minus 32 during his career.  

I'm not saying AA should be getting Larkins minutes.  Larkin is a great player.  I'm saying that AA ne ds to play more if we are going to score more.

Just having aa little fun there. To be fair, AA is playing better this year, which I welcome. Still think the hype is overblown tho.

5 hours ago, krsmith17 said:

Yeah, but Vanek is RH.

4 hours ago, chaps80 said:

Didnt Robert Lang play that way IIRC?