• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

Sign in to follow this  
Dabura

1/20 SUNDAY!!! SUNDAY!!! SUNDAY!!! GDT - Red Wings @ Canucks - 4:00 PM ET

Rate this topic

2 minutes ago, chaps80 said:

I want to like Bernier, but he doesn't make it easy. 

I understand, believe me.  I am from the era of elite goal-tending (Hasek, Roy, even Belfour).  Not too many of those anymore, consistently.  Kids these days....:plain:

Edited by puckloo39

Just now, BigWillieStyle said:

Bernier having a day at the beach on that one. Seriously, 60 foot floaters don't go in in this league anymore.

They do if they're tipped along the way.

PP

Canucks are playing the trap and the Wings are happily obliging. Too eager to fan out and drift off to the perimeter when we enter their zone. Need to be playing a more assertive, ruthless game.

4 minutes ago, puckloo39 said:

I understand, believe me.  I am from the era of elite goal-tending (Hasek, Roy, even Belfour).  Not too many of those anymore, consistently.  Kids these days....:plain:

Add Cujo and Brodeur to that list. And your right, not many goalies stand out these days. Those goalies we've mentioned played in the dead puck era though, scoring is way up now. An early 3-0, 4-0 lead used to be a sure win, most of the time. Nowadays that can disappear easily.

1 minute ago, BigWillieStyle said:

It wasn't that tipped if they had to look at 4 replays to notice it.

I mean, I'm not gonna go out of my way to defend Bernier. But even the slightest touch can be the difference between a clean save and a goal. Maybe it was a bad goal to give up, but I'll give Bernier the benefit of the doubt on this one and assume the tip was the difference.

2 minutes ago, TLGTrico said:

The consequences of not having a single pure shooter on this team

That's certainly part of it.

Kinda funny seeing the team try to work the one-timer into their attack lately. You can tell it doesn't come naturally to anyone except maybe AA.

8 minutes ago, puckloo39 said:

Just big ones... not skilled or interesting goalies.  Just size and D in front of them.  I miss the days when a goalie could win a game for his team...

oh, drat...

That and i also miss the style each goalie had. From playing style to equipment style, many were different. Nowadays they often play the same and wear the same gear. Back then they used different masks depending on what worked for them, now i think the helmet/cage combo can't be used anymore in the NHL. They wore pads that were just above the knee, not just below the waist, etc.

23 minutes ago, BigWillieStyle said:

Bernier having a day at the beach on that one. Seriously, 60 foot floaters don't go in in this league anymore.

Burn Yay.

1 minute ago, chaps80 said:

That and i also miss the style each goalie had. From playing style to equipment style, many were different. Nowadays they often play the same and wear the same gear. Back then they used different masks depending on what worked for them, now i think the helmet/cage combo can't be used anymore in the NHL. They wore pads that were just above the knee, not just below the waist, etc.

Admittedly, I was a the world's biggest Hasek fan... he's the reason I became intrigued with hockey in the first place... never will see anything like him again.  But that said, the current goal-tending style is pretty danged boring, most of the time.  They are good technically or just plain huge, physically.  The skaters have all become much more skilled, and equipment has changed, so I will agree times have changed. 

Today's goalies simply are not very interesting.  I miss weirdo, crazy, unpredictable, koo-koo goalies, like Dom.  You never knew what was happening inside his head, but put him on the ice and you got a transformer-like machine who never failed to bring a crowd to its feet. That's rare now.... and when it does happen, the term for an other-worldly save is "hasek-like"  ;)